EPA 3 vs. CARB ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
"High-quality generators: to minimize the emission of harmful gases, CARB or EPA Compliant generators are built with the best components available. The parts are designed to produce the cleanest energy possible. This result in generators that are durable as well as reliable. They are also more fuel efficient. In closing, when next you are in the market for a new generator, take care to check the manufacturer's specification sheets for CARB or EPA compliance. Even if you don't live in California, it's advisable you go for a CARB compliant generator; it's better for the environment naturally and it's better value for your money!

So is the only mechanical difference the carburetor? I'm not getting the "better value" part.

Originally Posted by billt460

So is the only mechanical difference the carburetor? I'm not getting the "better value" part.

In some cases it may be the catalytic muffler or the seal of the fuel cap. CARB has specific requirements. To say that something CARB certified is somehow better or more reliable is a stretch. There are plenty of cases where that simply is not true.

Originally Posted by Cujet
In some cases it may be the catalytic muffler or the seal of the fuel cap. CARB has specific requirements. To say that something CARB certified is somehow better or more reliable is a stretch. There are plenty of cases where that simply is not true.

That's my assumption as well. This whole, "CARB compliant" deal is only done so they can sell their product in California...... Which represents a rather large market. Which I can understand. But to put it out there that the product is somehow "better" because of it seems foolish. And something that would only appeal to the whole, "green bunch".

And the fact most of these products cost the same amount, regardless if they are CARB or EPA 3 shows there can't be much, if any difference between them.

CARB products have undergone testing to meet the CA standards. But here's the kicker. They may be exactly the same as the non CARB part. But if they haven't been tested, they are non compliant and can't be sold here. It costs big $$ to test them and that is why they cost more, especially on low volume parts where the testing costs aren't spread out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back