Entry level Precision Rifle scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently considering for purchase the vortex viper PST gen II and the Athlon ares etr scopes.
I've only saw the vortex in person and it is far above any scope I have ever owned.

If anyone has any experience with these scopes I would appreciate if you could share.

I'm looking at the FFP and Moa models of each.

The rifle is a Savage Stealth Evolution in 338 lapua. Looking to get to 1000 yards.

Other suggestions for scopes in this category are appreciated as well.

I have a Vortex Viper HS LR in 4-16x and also in 6-24x.

Both are excellent scopes with great clarity and tracking.

But if you are going all out, consider Nightforce as well since those are usually a great choice before you start to get into the Schmidt & Bender price range.

Everyone that I know of that has bought on of those has had it replaced under warranty more than once.

Get a good scope and cry once.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Everyone that I know of that has bought on of those has had it replaced under warranty more than once.

Get a good scope and cry once.

???

Everyone I know with a rifle that will reliably shoot 1000 yards says you should plan on spending 1:1 ratio at a bare minimum for decent glass. I.E., if your rifle was $1000, your scope should be absolutely no less than $1000, and likely more. Otherwise you most likely will not be happy with the overall performance. Just sayin.

I shot in 1000 yard F-Class matches on several occasions. I would cry once and pay up for good optics. A 1000 yards is a long way, the 338 Lapua is more than capable of handling it, why handicap it with cheap optics?

I have one of SWFA's fixed power scopes and highly recommend them. They are rated for up to .50 caliber. The optics in their fixed power scopes are better than their variable power. They compare with much more expensive scopes. If you will be shooting long distances exclusively pick the fixed power that suits your needs. A 12X or 16X would be my guess. The 12X will giver a brighter optic. Get a 30 mm tube. They have Mil-Quad and M.O.A. models.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-12x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-105770.html
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-16x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

I have the 10x fixed power Super Sniper on my 308. It's a very basic unit, fully multi coated, with very few optical elements to degrade the image. There is a reason these scopes are so highly rated, they are water-clear and robust enough for a 50 cal, as mentioned above.

The super clear image is key to using a fixed power scope, as small details are easily seen. The SS scope is good enough to use for astronomy. That says a lot, as quality optics are critical for astronomy.

Also, it's made in Japan, to mil specs.

https://rifleopticsworld.com/swfa-ss-10x42-review/

I have this one, the side focus is really nice:
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42m-tactical-30mm-riflescope-6.html

Last edited:
I have the Vortex Gen II Razor in 4.5-27 on my CADEX CDX-33 .338LM. It's an excellent scope and would be more the direction I'd be leaning if I was in your shoes. It replaced a Bushnell Elite 6500. My newest optic acquisition is a Leupold VX3i LRP for my .308. It's FFP in mil/mil but lacks a zero-stop. Not a big issue for a deer rifle, and the glass is extremely good for the price point. Not sure what kind of features you are hoping for, but that's going to also impact the cost.

A high end scope is worth the wait. there is a huge difference in the glass .

The SWFAs are very good entry point scopes for any shooting where you'll be doing a lot of dialing for range or windage. The fixed-power, non-HD scopes are not particularly wonderful optically, but they're comparatively inexpensive, very reliable and durable, and way more than enough to shoot at 1,000 yards. Their adjustments are also not terribly good from a 'feel' point of view, but again they're very durable and reliable. The HD versions of those scopes are very good optically.

Vortex scopes in the past badly needed their forever warranty, because if you actually used them hard (which extremely few shooters actually do), you'd use that warranty several times. I've heard better things about the durability of the gen II scopes from fellow NRL & PRS shooters, but I haven't used one and I'm basically 'retired' from that sport.

If you're not interested in SWFA, Bushnell's Tactical and LRH scopes are also extremely durable, as are Nightforce scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back