Engine/Trans Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen posts on some sites of vehicle engine/transmission warranties being voided for the use of aftermarket chips, tuning boxes, K&N style air cleaners ect. My question is has anyone ever been denied a warranty for the use of any of these types of aftermarket items or use of non-API Certified oil?

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
I have seen posts on some sites of vehicle engine/transmission warranties being voided for the use of aftermarket chips, tuning boxes, K&N style air cleaners ect. My question is has anyone ever been denied a warranty for the use of any of these types of aftermarket items or use of non-API Certified oil?

Warranties can't really be "voided". What happens is that the dealership tech finds a modification that affects the broken/malf part and declines to fix it under warranty. It's done case by case, although some dealers keep a record if they find something aftermarket on your car (even if it's in for routine service).

I had a dealer decline warranty on my car due to a chip, but only on the ECU itself. I didn't want a new ECU (turns out that wasn't the problem) so I just walked away and handled it myself. Plenty of folks in the VW world get harassed, but then some dealer techs are cool (and own modded cars themselves). Really depends on the dealer.

I brought my 98 Formula (I owned this car from 98-00) into the GM dealer for what I thought was a broken transmission and they denied my warranty because they saw my car was lowered and it had an exhaust cutout on it (bypasses the muffler) I didn't fight it though, because the actual failure was not the trans, but instead I had broken the rear end gears. I had changed them from the stock 3.42s to 4.10s, so I knew I couldn't claim this as warranty since they'd have easily found out the gears they replaced were not OEM anyways. I was still angry at them though, since their reason for denying the claim was stupid, those two mods would have nothing to do with the gears breaking. The car had a ton of other mods that they couldn't see as well (ported MAF, reprogrammed ECU, modified EGR tube, cold air kit, new intake lid)

[ June 30, 2002, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back