Engine photos, 1999 122K miles Buick Regal GS 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! About the same as my old 302, which has about 210,000 miles on it, most of it on various grades of Mobil 1.

thumbsup2.gif

All:

Many thanks for your interest and kind comments. It is appreciated, especially today.

To those of you who said you were familiar with the motor; you're right, it is a nice unit. Though only 240 horsepower it has alot of low end torque. For a big car it feels much quicker than one might think. And after 122K miles it uses absolutely NO oil during a 5K OCI.

Someone asked a question about the OCI history. That last 4 or 5 years that my Dad drove the car he probably put 1,500 miles a year on it. All his driving at that point were 1 or 2 miles to the pharmacy or doctors office. Extreme short tripping. But even with the low mileage he still had the oil changed yearly. For good reason.

When I got the car I was putting 2K to 3K miles per month on it. That's when I started using "Pentospeed" (I said Pentosin in my original post), 5K mile OCIs.

The engine pictures are the result of about 18 months of driving be me (90% highway, hot weather climate, 80-85mph cruising speeds) and seven or eight 5K OCI intervals.

Someone also mentioned the great gas mileage this motor gets. All I can say is, yes, amazing. At 65 it'd get right around 30 MPG depending. At 80 it'd still get 25 to 26.

Scott

Looks great. My Acura looked similar when I took the valve cover off at around 120k, owned by an elderly lady and dealership maintained since new. The valve covers are difficult to remove on the 3800 Series II in my Firebird because of how far tucked back it is, but it looks clean from what I can see down the filler neck. The previous owner drove and maintained it very similar to your father, very short trips and oil changes done every year or so (usually about 2,000-2,500 miles on the oil). I haven't replaced the intake manifold gaskets on mine yet. Maybe next year once I get the Acura running 100% again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back