Engine Oil and Transmission fluid component

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Engine Oil and Transmission fluid component.

This compound is often described as an arylazo-substituted naphthalenol.

It may be used in treatment levels of 50 ppm to 250ppm, depending on application and presentation.

What might this be?

Rules for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
Red dye.This dye would be used in transmission fluid .Boron also would be on the list.I'm not sure if its related to the dye itself or other chemistry of the trans fluid.Then there's the Boron as a component of engine oil and gear oil. I'm really not sure if i'm on the right track.

Last edited:
Depending on the "azo" coupling, this oil soluble dye can be compounded to produce any color.

A yellow-orange dye can be made to produce an "amber" color for motor oils, hydraulic fluids, etc.

A red dye is usually used in automatic transmission fluids.

So the Red, White, Blue and Gold Piston Cup Lapel Pin goes to our distinguished Amsoil rep, Pablo.
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Red dye.This dye would be used in transmission fluid .Boron also would be on the list.I'm not sure if its related to the dye itself or other chemistry of the trans fluid.Then there's the Boron as a component of engine oil and gear oil. I'm really not sure if i'm on the right track.

The Boron is an agent separate from the dye.

In some cases, the dispersant used in an ATF is an ashless dispersant which has been phosphorylated and/or boronated with a hydrocarbyl succinimide, which give rise to the Boron and Phosphorous counts. A small amount of ZDDP may also be used as a primary anti-oxidant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Do you need an address or anything?
smile.gif

grin2.gif

If you will send me a virtual PM with your virtual address I will send you the virtual Piston Cup Lapel Pin.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back