Engine coolant...OEM or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife & I just got a 2000 Ford Ranger (V6 3.0L Flex Fuel) & it appeared to be slightly low on coolant in the reservoir. The manual said to use Ford premium engine coolant & what not to put in there...no coolant w/alcohol, etc.
Can we use "off the shelf" coolant or do we have to get it from Ford? If we can use "off the shelf", recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Not sure what Ford was using in 2000, which was around the time of the changeover from regular to long-life coolant. If the coolant in the truck is green it is regular, and you can top it up with any standard off the shelf coolant. If it is yellow, it is the long-life coolant and should be replaced with the same. The long-life coolant used by Ford can be found at stores as Zerex G-O5.

In 2000 factory fill was Texaco conventional green.

Ford has since back specked the yellow G05 back to 99.

I would use G05 with confidence. A thorough flush is advisable.

If you really want conventional green the closest current product is probably Peak.

Quote:

In 2000 factory fill was Texaco conventional green.

Ford has since back specked the yellow G05 back to 99.

I would use G05 with confidence. A thorough flush is advisable.

If you really want conventional green the closest current product is probably Peak.

While doing a search on where to find the G05, I ran across this which concerned me...granted, My Ranger isn't a Mercedes or GM.

Keep in mind your Ranger has the same materials in the cooling system that other manufacturers have... cast iron, cast aluminum, rubber hoses, aluminum radiator, etc. This should take away some of the 'mystique' that some people place on Mercedes specced G05.

I stopped by the dealer today & asked at the parts counter. I came ready w/my VIN number & asked about the 2 different types. He pulled out his chart & said mine used the green. I asked again because I saw the yellow as well on his chart & he said he just got that chart from Ford so it was the most recent.
$11.xx/gal.

Neither the parts counter guy, the dealer, or anyone here(that I've seen yet) are wrong in their account. I'm sure you very well could use G05 coolant if you wanted too, but there's really no reason to think that "conventional" green won't do the job just fine.

What's so special about G05 & what's so bad about "conventional" green?
Not trying to sound snotty...just curious.

Ford does indeed recommend G05 (Motorcraft Gold) for your Ranger. Follow this link and then check the "GY" notes at the bottom of the chart.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref/scuc.pdf

Conventional green, at least the stuff that came with your Ranger, is high in Silicon. Eventually the silicon falls out of suspension and makes a mess as well as once it falls out the remaining coolant becomes corrosive. If you change it often enough it is manageable.

G05 uses an OAT based additive package with a very low dose of silicon. It is far less likely to have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back