eng. detail;

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently tried Gunk's "Citrus Engine Brite Engine Cleaner and Detailer" on my car mainly for the detailing aspect (my engine is already clean). I saw this in the store, and decided to try it as it supposedly leaves a nice detailed finish on plastics/hoses/metal parts. And I figured it would be easier than my normal rubber dressing applied by hand, as the Gunk is just spray and wait.
About 2 minutes after spraying, I noticed about 10 huge yellow jackets (the yellow and black big suckers) flocking around my engine. This is abnormal for my area, so I immediately hosed the engine down to rinse the stuff off. By the time I got it rinsed, there were well over 50 of the suckers flying around me. I jumped in the car and cranked it to speed up the drying. I then ran in the house, avoiding the now 100 bees swarming my car. I let the car idle for atleast 20 minutes; not by choice, but because I couldn't get to it to turn it off. I then used the water hose to spray them away from the car so I could turn it off (gas prices are too high to just let it idle for God knows how much longer). After turning it off and fighting my way through them again, I just went in the house. There were easily over 200 of them by that time, and there just wasn't anything I could do but wait. After about an hour, they left, and haven't been back. Of course, I haven't sprayed this stuff anymore, either.
My wife talked to Gunk's "tech support" on the phone, and asked why there wasn't a warning on the can about it being a bee attractant. He said he'd never heard of anyone having a problem. Then he said we should have figured because it says it is citrus. Being an anal retentive detailer, I use a few citrus products, but have never had this problem with bees. I guess I'm just stupid. We've never had a bee problem, so it never entered my mind.
After having done all that, my engine looked about the same as before using it, except it now had water spots on the hoses from me not being able to dry them properly. So I still had to detail them the old fashioned way with Meg's #40 on a rag by hand.
I have come up with a good use for this product. If anyone gets me angry, I'm going to spray their undercarriage with it. That could possibly deny them the use of their car for a day, or get them stung quite a few times. I jokingly told my wife I'd be glad to detail her Mom's engine now!
Anyways, just wanted to give people a heads up about a potentially dangerous situation, especially if you're allergic to bees (like my wife). Maybe it was just a fluke, but I'll never use it again.

Dave

Dave,
I recently tried the same product and as you, had bees and what not all over the area. I didn't put two and two together, but it makes sense. I didn't have as many as you, but when I started there was none. Halfway through, there were several. It didn't stop me from finishing, just ducking and running a lot. I was pleased with the outcome, but it is not worth getting stung. I'll probably give it a try again.

Marc

The yellowjackets love citrusy things, I've used citrus-scented car wash and had the buggers attack me. If you use the Gunk in milder weather they usually aren't as bad as compared to summer/spring months.

Gunk makes non-citrus foaming (and non foaming, and gel) engine cleaners, too. Anyway, with all the electronics in my engine compartment, I can't bring myself to take a hose to it or blanket it with cleaner. I do it by section, using a general purpose cleaner like simple green. For electrical stuff I use Lectra-Motive, it is designed for electrical parts, dries fast and leaves no residue. WD-40 is ok for electrical stuff too, but it leaves a light film. If I really wanted to leave anything protective on the electronics, I'd use silicone - which I do, but only on electrical connections where needed.
quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
...wouldn't the applied chemical concoction attract dust? What would be the ramifications if said solution entered an electrical or electronic device? Are there any components that could be harmed? How would rubber or plastic compounds react to the WD-40?

My thoughts in the same order as the questions: Probably. Nothing good I'm sure, though probably not likely if you're careful. Alternator, ignition, etc, depending on what you're spraying. WD-40 is pretty harmless.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

These are photos of my Mustang and F-150, both 1991's. The Mustang has 120,000 mi. and the truck a little over 100,000 mi. I use Simple Green on a COLD engine, then rinse with a low velocity spray from a garden hose, I then blow dry with compressed air. After that I start the engine and run until hot. I then detail all rubber and plastic with Armor-All. I like Simple Green because it isn't hard on anything. Bill T.

[ August 26, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Bill T ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back