Eneos - SUSTINA SAE 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
But there is no evidence of ring coking in my many year use of 0-20 oils or the tear down engine test we have seen. However I would be interested in reading about this. Can you provide something along this line? Thanks.

that's the same as the strawman "pile of failed engines' arguments.

Simple facts
* the design of the Japanese 0W20s makes them more PRONE to those issues than other oil designs
* the Japanese OEMs lobbied, successfully to have the deposit tests blown out or waived for 0W20, and 0W20 only, confirming the above.

You'll never see side by side teardowns of a Prius run on TGMO versus Amsoil ACD to compare.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
You'll never see side by side teardowns of a Prius run on TGMO versus Amsoil ACD to compare.

That, in a lot of ways, would be detrimental to revenue big time

But there is no evidence of ring coking in my many year use of 0-20 oils or the tear down engine test we have seen. However I would be interested in reading about this. Can you provide something along this line? Thanks.

that's the same as the strawman "pile of failed engines' arguments.

Simple facts
* the design of the Japanese 0W20s makes them more PRONE to those issues than other oil designs
* the Japanese OEMs lobbied, successfully to have the deposit tests blown out or waived for 0W20, and 0W20 only, confirming the above.

Strawmanz? Wizard of OZ? Now I know where you get that from. LOL! I know nothing about Japanese made 0-20 oils, and at this time have no reason to. So if what you are saying is true, and that remains to be seen, only Japanese 0-20 oils are waived from whatever test you guys are talking about?

Last edited:

Strawmanz? Wizard of OZ? Now I know where you get that from. LOL! I know nothing about Japanese made 0-20 oils, and at this time have no reason to. So if what you are saying is true, and that remains to be seen, only Japanese 0-20 oils are waived from whatever test you guys are talking about?

thanks Tig...it's ILSAC GF5...the lobbying on the part of the Japanese OEMs got it waived for the 0W20 grade as a whole.

As to the "truth"...nice.

Shannow,
Thanks for posting. Is that due to Sustina is made in Japan? I did notice M1 0-20 is GF5 as I'm sure all the US 0-20 oils are.

Just two more comments to add...

The Sustina 0W20 has a quoted Noack of 13% (so possibly as high as 13.45%). I haven't checked but I would have thought that some of the commoner US 0W20s (something like Mobil 1 which presumably contains some PAO and not based on PMA) would have a lower Noack (around 10%-ish?). As such it would have a lower propensity to lay down piston deposits.

Also, IMO tests like the Sequence IIIG, manage to both overstate and understate piston deposits at the same time. Running the test with an oil temperature of 150°C for 100 hours continuous makes it unrealistically hot. As such it exaggerates the impact of Noack. You would not get anything like as much deposit lay down if you ran the same test at say 100°C. However the specs only require you to run and pass one test (sort of equivalent to one OCI). Deposits build up over MANY OCIs and this isn't ever reflected in the specs. It's small levels of deposits building up over a long period of time in critical areas of the ring pack that are the problem; not necessarily how cruddy the entire piston looks.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Just two more comments to add...

The Sustina 0W20 has a quoted Noack of 13% (so possibly as high as 13.45%). I haven't checked but I would have thought that some of the commoner US 0W20s (something like Mobil 1 which presumably contains some PAO and not based on PMA) would have a lower Noack (around 10%-ish?). As such it would have a lower propensity to lay down piston deposits.

Very good, 10.7 from PQIA test of M1 AFE 0W20

http://pqiamerica.com/SAE_0W20_April_10_2017.html

Re Joe's posts, and looking at Honda RandD Paper 22-2_22e (available https://www.hondarandd.jp )
"Effects of Low-viscosity Engine Oil on Fuel Economy and Wear"

An oil similar to TGMO with all the same faults & more...

This is a Japanese oil that focuses on fuel economy over all other considerations. I would expect this to contain a high Moly treat. It looks like it's using PMA VII (very high VI, very low KV40 plus low Pour Point). It's worth pointing out that the low-end CCS-35 puts this oil halfway to being a -5W20 (not that there is such a thing).

Per the paper (2010), they are claiming that their brand was the lowest operation viscosity on the market, and that they were working within the 0W20 grade (lowest on J300), using PMA to intentionally make the oil "non Newtonian", and effectively shear under high shear conditions. They use the HTHS100 as a measure.

So you are quite correct, they are using VI, to keep the viscosity low, and the polymer treat rate to make the oil shear in service (temporary) to effectively lower the viscosity in the bearings/skirts etc.

Volatility is one of the mentioned downsides, which is pretty obvious. Others were reduction in controlability of things like VVT actuators with the lower resulting oil pressure, and bearing distress under low speed high load conditions (decresing MOFT, increasing film pressures, and leading to wear and bearing surface fatiguing)

Interesting. This all figures.

Now I consider myself as 'green' and proud of it but even I would shy away from making fuel economy the ENTIRE focus of designing an engine oil. There's a necessary balance to be struck between stuff that is short-term (like the instant hit you get with better FE) and the long-term stuff like the viability of your engine and it's ability to cope with abnormal conditions (I'm thinking about stuff like fuel dilution). Cost should also be a consideration.

My personal opinion is that in the case of this Sustina 0W20, they've got the balance wrong. It's a bit like the dieter that thinks it's okay to have a kidney removed to drop a few extra pounds. Don't do it!!

Re Joe's posts, and looking at Honda RandD Paper 22-2_22e (available https://www.hondarandd.jp )
"Effects of Low-viscosity Engine Oil on Fuel Economy and Wear"

An oil similar to TGMO with all the same faults & more...

This is a Japanese oil that focuses on fuel economy over all other considerations. I would expect this to contain a high Moly treat. It looks like it's using PMA VII (very high VI, very low KV40 plus low Pour Point). It's worth pointing out that the low-end CCS-35 puts this oil halfway to being a -5W20 (not that there is such a thing).

Per the paper (2010), they are claiming that their brand was the lowest operation viscosity on the market, and that they were working within the 0W20 grade (lowest on J300), using PMA to intentionally make the oil "non Newtonian", and effectively shear under high shear conditions. They use the HTHS100 as a measure.

So you are quite correct, they are using VI, to keep the viscosity low, and the polymer treat rate to make the oil shear in service (temporary) to effectively lower the viscosity in the bearings/skirts etc.

Volatility is one of the mentioned downsides, which is pretty obvious. Others were reduction in controlability of things like VVT actuators with the lower resulting oil pressure, and bearing distress under low speed high load conditions (decresing MOFT, increasing film pressures, and leading to wear and bearing surface fatiguing)

Shannow,

I had a good peruse of the Honda R&D paper this morning (thanks for PM'ing it to me).

It's an interesting read. Part of me applauds its thinking because they are refocussing the oil towards 'daily use' rather than extremes that so many modern oils seem to pander to. They set 'normal' oil temperature at 80°C (I might have guessed higher but who am I to question Honda!) and interestingly set 'hot', not at 150°C (ie standard HTHS conditions) but 130°C (which I do agree with).

Like a lot of Japanese papers, the quality of the work is great but only in answering the specific questions they ask. The questions that could & should reasonably be asked, but AREN'T, are not addressed at all. As such the conclusions they draw are IMO a bit flaky.

Take the use of PMA VII for example. PMAs, despite their fundamental inefficiency, do indeed confer great VI to an oil and yes, their temporary shear qualities in bearings at 'normal' temperatures can be exploited to improve fuel economy. However there's a problem. A Group III, tight narrow cross-grade (like a 0W20 or 0W16) isn't going to contain that much VII and a lot of PMA is critical to making the FE trick work. So to make room for a decent amount of PMA in the oil, you artificially drop the CCS until the oil's half way to being a -5W20 (or -5W16). Of course the use of a thinner base oil mix results in the oil's Noack going up. Now here's the rub. You would traditionally lower the Noack of the oil by substituting some PAO for Group III. However in this case, swapping in PAO would reduce the amount of PMA VII. So you're boxed into a corner where to make the trick work, you're perpetually stuck with a high Noack oil and a stupidly high amount of neat PMA rubber in the oil.

And there's something else I might ask. How normal is a 'normal' oil temperature of 80°C? Does it naturally 'float' to this level or do you only get this by setting your coolant thermostat on the low side? If it's the latter (and I think it might be) how does your engine cope with getting rid of gasoline that condenses in your oil? If your oil never gets hot enough to purge the oil of fuel dilution, then with such thin oils, you might end up in a whole heap of trouble!

^^^Also, doesn't one LOSE whatever FE would be gained from said PMA 'trick' by setting the thermostat lower, and giving up a bunch of thermal efficiency (IF that is the method chosen in the above scenario to keep the temps @ 80*C)?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^Also, doesn't one LOSE whatever FE would be gained from said PMA 'trick' by setting the thermostat lower, and giving up a bunch of thermal efficiency (IF that is the method chosen in the above scenario to keep the temps @ 80*C)?
21.gif

Yes. Absolutely.

Over the years, the focus has been to move to lower & lower oil viscosity grades (of which 0W16 is but the latest incarnation). However if you deliberately keep the oil temperature low, you lose much of what you might have potentially gained.

An alternative approach to the problem might be to keep the SAME oil and increase it's temperature to reduce its viscosity. I often wonder if only OEMs could be bothered to actively control oil temperature (eg rapid heat-up from cold, restricting its maximum temperature, maintaining it at the optimum temperature consistent with best FE) then oils could be formulated much more simply & cheaply.

Of course this would require the OEMs to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING and history suggests they much prefer to abdicate everything to the oil & additive companies, so don't hold your breath.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
21.gif

Yes. Absolutely.

Over the years, the focus has been to move to lower & lower oil viscosity grades (of which 0W16 is but the latest incarnation). However if you deliberately keep the oil temperature low, you lose much of what you might have potentially gained.

An alternative approach to the problem might be to keep the SAME oil and increase it's temperature to reduce its viscosity. I often wonder if only OEMs could be bothered to actively control oil temperature (eg rapid heat-up from cold, restricting its maximum temperature, maintaining it at the optimum temperature consistent with best FE) then oils could be formulated much more simply & cheaply.

Of course this would require the OEMs to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING and history suggests they much prefer to abdicate everything to the oil & additive companies, so don't hold your breath.

The latest trend has been to do exactly that. Heat exchangers heat the oil with the coolant and at the same time, once that's up to temp, keep the oil around coolant temperature, setting the ceiling to close to 100C (depending on coolant temp maintained by the vehicle).

My Jeep, my previous SRT-8 Charger, my BMW M5, and even my Expedition had coolant-oil heat exchangers. I think my wife's Charger did too.

Hmmm, my Colorado specs 5W30 Dexos 2...which is fine.

But controls the coolant temperature to 78C...have seen it hit 82 on a grade.

Wonder if they are using the temp to control the operational viscosity within the grade specced.

Hmmm, my Colorado specs 5W30 Dexos 2...which is fine.

But controls the coolant temperature to 78C...have seen it hit 82 on a grade.

Wonder if they are using the temp to control the operational viscosity within the grade specced.

The Jeep keeps it pretty close to 100C, even when it is in the deep minuses. Was around 90C when ambient was -28C.

Just like TGMO, when this oil was conceived, the clouds parted and glorious beams of light shined down upon its inventor. Words cannot do this oil justice. It has to be experienced to believed. Buy it, and start living the life you should have always had the pleasure of having.

Now I consider myself as 'green' and proud of it but even I would shy away from making fuel economy the ENTIRE focus of designing an engine oil.

Of course, it can't even really be that simple. It's not as if oil choice is going to make that significant of a change of fuel economy for the individual user. Going down a grade or two and/or shovelling in a friction modifier isn't going to turn my F-150 into a Prius. It's that diminishing returns thing you and others have mentioned many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back