ENEOS 75w90 GL5 anyone using it in Differentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-gear-oil/ im thinking of using this gear oil in my 2013 Tacomas Differentials has anyone used it in the differential axles or have any knowledge or input whether it would or wouldn't be a good choice, it seems that its a very thin oil based on its Typical properties, viscosity at 40c is 78.8 and 100c is 14.5 but the VI is 193, seems very thin for differential use although Toyota recommends a thin 75w85 gl5 for the diffs. Also im pretty sure this gear oil is Semi synthetic too and seems to be used with great success in manual transmissions even with its GL5 rating, other than that I cannot find too much info on it, my concern being that its already a thin oil and it would shear down into an even thinner oil and be not even as good or better than a 75w85 that's rec'd.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by thin as it falls into the acceptable viscosity range of a 75W90.

I prefer a 75W110 as it is a good midrange viscosity for all temperature extremes, For example, Amsoil has a 75W110 blend such as:

75W110 PDS

I've always thought Amsoil makes the best differential oil. The evidence is old though.
Anybody know if there is a benefit to lots of moly or teflon in GL-5 diff oil?
It would be nice to identify the lowest friction, and best wearing diff oil. Until there is some more proof, its hard to beat Amsoil Severe Gear.

Originally Posted by jrvn
http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-gear-oil/ im thinking of using this gear oil in my 2013 Tacomas Differentials has anyone used it in the differential axles or have any knowledge or input whether it would or wouldn't be a good choice, it seems that its a very thin oil based on its Typical properties, viscosity at 40c is 78.8 and 100c is 14.5 but the VI is 193, seems very thin for differential use although Toyota recommends a thin 75w85 gl5 for the diffs. Also im pretty sure this gear oil is Semi synthetic too and seems to be used with great success in manual transmissions even with its GL5 rating, other than that I cannot find too much info on it, my concern being that its already a thin oil and it would shear down into an even thinner oil and be not even as good or better than a 75w85 that's rec'd.

I have it in the front and rear differentials of the my Subaru Forester. I need to change it out, last change was @ 33,000 miles and I'm at 65,000 now. Subaru recommends changing diff oil every 30,000. The Subaru layout has the front diff inside the transmission, in my car that's the 5-speed manual so the front differential shares the ENEOS 75W90 with the manual transmission. The rear differential is not limited slip, Subaru used to put LSD's in the rear up through 2007 I think, then they went to the fake LSD thing all the manufacturers cheap out on now where they use an open diff and electronic traction control to apply single wheel braking to whichever one is losing traction. I'd rather have a bonafide LSD back there but oh well.

i think im basing it on the 40 degree and 100 degree celcius info given from ENEOS, most other noted 75w90 gl5 gear oils are slightly thicker with a lower VI index at these temps, and im not sure since I cannot find a UOA for the ENEOS stuff that it may shear down more to a point where it may effect the wear of the rear diff, actually the viscosity specs and VI are very close to MOTUL gear300 which I think is a superior gear oil. im a little on the fence using the ENEOS since I really cant find out any in depth reviews or analysis on it, I usually do the differentials and transfer case every 30k miles on the truck.
[Linked Image]
at the moment im using REDLINE 75w85 gl5 which hasn't really gotten rave reviews here on BITOG for being too thin and having mucky drain plugs due to wear. im thinking of going to a 75w90 and this ENEOS is slightly thicker at 40 and 100 degree C with a higher VI than the REDLINE 75w85 stuff, and at the same time being thinner at those temps than most over the counter fluids other than MOTUL gear300 and its price online is better than MOBIL1, REDLINE, AMSOIL and all the other usual suspects.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by jrvn

I have it in the front and rear differentials of the my Subaru Forester. I need to change it out, last change was @ 33,000 miles and I'm at 65,000 now. Subaru recommends changing diff oil every 30,000. The Subaru layout has the front diff inside the transmission, in my car that's the 5-speed manual so the front differential shares the ENEOS 75W90 with the manual transmission. The rear differential is not limited slip, Subaru used to put LSD's in the rear up through 2007 I think, then they went to the fake LSD thing all the manufacturers cheap out on now where they use an open diff and electronic traction control to apply single wheel braking to whichever one is losing traction. I'd rather have a bonafide LSD back there but oh well.
have u ever done a UOA or know of anyone UOAing it im interested to know how it held up doing 30k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back