BMW new G2 & G3 Front & Rear Differential fluids question.

Viscosity changes all the time (with temperature), just like any oil does. See
this datasheet (that's what I use in my VAQ's Haldex unit):

It'll be triple digit cSt below freezing point and like 5 cSt when highly loaded
on a hot summer's day. I'm aware my knowledge has its limits, however I still
just can't imagine how that GKN clutch would be able to 'sense' viscosity . . .

I don't want to argue with you, I just want to broaden my comprehension.
I suspect the local ECU controlling this GKN system knows the temperature of the fluid, and that's used in the software to make the clutch respond in a calculated manner. That's the sort of thing software in the company I work with does it. But, I don't claim to know.

The only time people have reported a problem that requires an ECU Re-Set is when the new fluid viscosity makes a significant-enough jump (don't know what that is...I don't know if it's sensing centi-stokes or whatever) that the calculation is now inaccurate. Gradual changes in viscosity as well as wear on the clutch is reportedly easily accommodated. In many ways, it makes sense to be sure and change this fluid early and often, so that the difference isn't enough to require a Re-Set. But, I'm not going to tackle it until I can get better information and confirmation. If I'd have simply gone with recommendations being thrown around casually by people that presented their recommendations as correct, I wouldn't have the correct rear differential fluid, nor the correct differential fluid level...and that's less complicated than this GKN system.

FYI, on the BMW repair site, does not list a "reset" after transfer case fluid replacement in their instruction. However, earlier models like the E83 X3 did. I have replaced this fluid in our '15 F15 X5 without reset & all is fine. That was about 15k miles ago.

FYI, on the BMW repair site, does not list a "reset" after transfer case fluid replacement in their instruction. However, earlier models like the E83 X3 did. I have replaced this fluid in our '15 F15 X5 without reset & all is fine. That was about 15k miles ago.
What fluid did you end up using in the transfer case?

I used the BMW specified transfer case fluid from FCPeuro.
Power Divider oil TF 0870 p/n 83 22 0 397 244. Now they also list a s-TEC -oil005 @ about half the price of TF 0870.

Interesting.! I'd guess (which is not a safe thing to do) that the newer model would be more similar to my 2019 Mini JCW All4, but, the X5 is significantly larger, so, I wouldn't be surprised if they were different. I'm also interested in anyone that's actually done a fluid change on the GKN system in front of the rear differential. I'd hate to screw up a system so specific that it has it's own ECU by messing up something as simple as the correct fluid.

Interesting.! I'd guess (which is not a safe thing to do) that the newer model would be more similar to my 2019 Mini JCW All4, but, the X5 is significantly larger, so, I wouldn't be surprised if they were different. I'm also interested in anyone that's actually done a fluid change on the GKN system in front of the rear differential. I'd hate to screw up a system so specific that it has it's own ECU by messing up something as simple as the correct fluid.
@Titan......can I assume you have the M Adaptive drive system? They take special fluids. Not like our standard 35i xDrive. I was never implying these fluids on this topic were good for M cars. They're a different bread.

@Titan......can I assume you have the M Adaptive drive system? They take special fluids. Not like our standard 35i xDrive. I was never implying these fluids on this topic were good for M cars. They're a different bread.
Hi Rav, well, I have a 2019 JCW Mini Countryman. It's very similar to some of the X1/X2 units I would ASSUME. Again, no guarantees...I find so many variations among these vehicles, I don't trust any assumption on my part!

Back