Endcap with O-Ring -vs w/o O-Ring -vs w/o Endcap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping some of you can explain why some of these filters seem to be built differently, and is it anything I should be concerned with?

I have a new Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L, V6 engine. From the videos I've seen on YouTube, I think the OEM cartridge has no end caps at all. When I change my oil, I'd like to use a FRAM Ultra, (https://bit.ly/2Lg10RF) XG9972. I see the Fram has endcaps, but doesn't look to have any o-rings that are built into the endcaps. Contrast that with the Toyota TRD (https://amzn.to/30BlOFI) which has both endcaps and o-rings that are built into the endcaps.

For your viewing pleasure, here's a page from Rock Auto (https://bit.ly/2Lo1FPY) showing several filters and a variety of construction methods.

Do you think the design of the Fram Ultra, without the o-rings in the endcaps is a perfectly safe design or should I play it safe and maybe run the TRD filter, even though its filtering efficiency isn't *quite* as good as the Fram Ultra (98% efficiency @20 microns -vs 99% efficiency @20 microns)?

Comments? Thoughts?

Thank you,
Ed

Look closely and you will see that on the filters without end-caps have the filter material ends glued shut. IMO both are good but, I prefer end-caps myself. Ed

That's an interesting and significant question which has never been addressed adequately on BitOG, to my knowledge.

Made properly, I believe the no-end-cap cartridge filters like Toyota (Denso) are a sound design. However, I've seen imitators that were not as well made.

Although I'm currently using one, cartridges with rigid hard end caps and no soft seal (o-ring, for example) worry me. That's because if they're not geometrically perfect, there can be a gap between the end cap and the part of the housing that's supposed to seal against the end of the filter. That would allow some oil to bypass the media. Some filters have generous clearance between the housing center tube and the center holes of the end caps. That might allow a filter with slightly skewed geometry to adjust itself to avoid the gap. Other brands have needlessly tight fit of the end cap holes on the center tube. (These potential issues are kinda hard to explain clearly without illustrations.!)

Last edited:
Can't tell if that raised area around the center tube on the Ultra is soft material or hard plastic by just looking at a Walmart photo. Have you looked at one in person?

Go with the TRD since it's clear there's an O-ring there.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Can't tell if that raised area around the center tube on the Ultra is soft material or hard plastic by just looking at a Walmart photo. Have you looked at one in person?

Go with the TRD since it's clear there's an O-ring there.

I've looked at the Fram filter in person and the endcaps are hard plastic. I'm guessing that the TRD has o-rings to ensure that both ends of the filter are completely sealed and. thereby, ensuring that 100% of the oil is forced through the filter. I suppose, at least theoretically, that filters without the o-rings could allow some oil past the endcaps (if the endcaps isn't perfectly flat) and not be filtered at all?

Ed

Can't tell if that raised area around the center tube on the Ultra is soft material or hard plastic by just looking at a Walmart photo. Have you looked at one in person? ...
Yes, I've looked. All Frams I've seen (including both US-made and Chinese versions of the Extra Guard, as well as the Ultra and the Chinese TG) have hard end caps. On another hand, they don't have the kinds of dubious construction you can see on some Purolator cartridges.

Originally Posted by CR94
Can't tell if that raised area around the center tube on the Ultra is soft material or hard plastic by just looking at a Walmart photo. Have you looked at one in person? ...
Yes, I've looked. All Frams I've seen (including both US-made and Chinese versions of the Extra Guard, as well as the Ultra and the Chinese TG) have hard end caps. On another hand, they don't have the kinds of dubious construction you can see on some Purolator cartridges.

What does the regular OEM filter use for end cap sealing?

The OEM doesn't have endcaps at all, but the TRD version does. In fact, from what *I* see, the TRD version is the only filter with the little, endcap built-in o-rings That's why I'm curious...why does Toyota do that, but not other people?

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I'm hoping some of you can explain why some of these filters seem to be built differently, and is it anything I should be concerned with?

I have a new Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L, V6 engine. From the videos I've seen on YouTube, I think the OEM cartridge has no end caps at all. When I change my oil, I'd like to use a FRAM Ultra, (https://bit.ly/2Lg10RF) XG9972. I see the Fram has endcaps, but doesn't look to have any o-rings that are built into the endcaps. Contrast that with the Toyota TRD (https://amzn.to/30BlOFI) which has both endcaps and o-rings that are built into the endcaps.

For your viewing pleasure, here's a page from Rock Auto (https://bit.ly/2Lo1FPY) showing several filters and a variety of construction methods.

Do you think the design of the Fram Ultra, without the o-rings in the endcaps is a perfectly safe design or should I play it safe and maybe run the TRD filter, even though its filtering efficiency isn't *quite* as good as the Fram Ultra (98% efficiency @20 microns -vs 99% efficiency @20 microns)?

Comments? Thoughts?

Thank you,
Ed

I like the way that TRD is built. Check out some M1 cartridges. Some are built similar like this one. Some are not.
Should be like half the price of the TRD

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The OEM doesn't have endcaps at all, but the TRD version does. In fact, from what *I* see, the TRD version is the only filter with the little, endcap built-in o-rings ...
True, re Toyota OEM (=Denso).
Mahle and maybe others appear to use felt-like material on the ends, I assume for the same purpose.

The OEM doesn't have endcaps at all, but the TRD version does. In fact, from what *I* see, the TRD version is the only filter with the little, endcap built-in o-rings That's why I'm curious...why does Toyota do that, but not other people?

Ed

Let me rephrase the question. What does the OEM filter use to seal the area around the center tube on the ends of the filter (ie, the same area where the O-ring is on the TRD filter)?

Let me rephrase the question. What does the OEM filter use to seal the area around the center tube on the ends of the filter (ie, the same area where the O-ring is on the TRD filter)?
There's no center tube in the filter, only the one in the housing cap. There's a ring of resin (or glue or whatever we like to call it) built up on the ends near the center hole, i.e., approximately on top of the inner creases. Under axial force from a spring, that surface presses against flat metal parts of the housing and cap to seal. The resin ring is not as resilient for sealing purposes as a rubber o-ring, but more so than typical hard plastic or steel end caps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back