Element3 pad/rotor Squeak

I've started to install EHT3 pads/rotors on people's car who can afford to wait for rockauto to ship to me. Otherwise its just AAP or autozone.

I did two Toyota installs roughly 6-8 months ago. 2009 Camry and 2012 Corolla. Both owners mentioned to me an annoying squeak on the first brake and then it goes away. I find it odd because those two owners are not very detailed about their cars but they noticed and asked if it was an issue.

I mentioned the normal when the car sits in the rain or whatever the first braking is to clean off the rotors and etc... I offered to check everything out in case something was off. I lubed a few extra spots made sure piston and slide pins were good and went for the test drive sure enough the first stop does squeak and then no more.

I did take the care around the block and did some more heavy brake bedding to see if that would help. Seems odd, i've also installed a set on a mazda and no issues or complaints on that.

A similar squeal happens on our GS350 F Sport, and I have installed the factory TSB pads. The TSB is for brake pad squeal on the F Sport cars.
Only happens when cold and goes away right away.

I have them in 2 vehicles. Lexus gs350 will squeal the first light stop of the day and then I don’t hear it again. The f150 isn’t as prevalent but I’m pretty sure it’s done it. Iirc eht3 pads do have a little metallic happening in them which makes them a bit more prone. It’s also probably part of the magical goodness they put in these things.

had the same squeaking on my car with e3 pads

i don’t really care but some people do

Me personally i dont care because I know/understand nothing mechanically is wrong.

But these were installed on family/friends cars. Debating on possibly trying to warranty the pads. Or not using them going forward.

Me personally i dont care because I know/understand nothing mechanically is wrong.

But these were installed on family/friends cars. Debating on possibly trying to warranty the pads. Or not using them going forward.
The aftermarket pads will all do this. Some worse than others. Even the Akebono’s, at least their current formulas.

Real OE seems to be the best insurance against this type of noise, partly because of the additional shims they use.

The rears on my 135i do this too. Chamfering the pads helps for a bit but it has come back… so not sure pf the true cause…

I am assuming you have cleaned caliper slide rails, new shims when applicable, and corrosion free slid pins with good lube, grease everywhere there are contact surfaces besides the pad friction to rotor surface.

If all that is true, you need some *goop* on the pad to caliper cylinder interface. Some people prefer sticky spray on goop. Some prefer a grease. Some pads claim they have a shim that doesn't need goop but are better with goop. Either way if the caliper piston is metal, do clean corrosion off of it before applying that goop.

If the pads' stamped metal back plate has very square edges, you can also chamfer them with a file. Or whatever.

I certainly haven't used them as many times as a pro might, but I have done my fair share of brake jobs using them and had zero complaints. One of the vehicles has over 30K miles on them if memory serves me correctly, and a few others crossed 10 K miles. I do spray the back of the pads on every brake job with Permatex Disk Brake Quiet no matter what, shimmed or not. I make sure everything is clean and properly lubed, and everything fits nicely. As of today I installed them on three Subaru's, two Rams, a Ford, couple of VW's, and a Malibu. I think the Permatex product is a big help with any disk brake job.

Raybestos EHT seems to be a hit and miss. Installed them on a 2009 Camry, no squeaks. However, on the 2009 Sienna they squeak. Also notice the fitment of the shims are loose.

Back