"electric contactor grease" ?

Hello
does exists something like grease for electrical contacts?
My problem is that i have some 10amp spring testpins (30amp rated), other part is nickel plated copper pads.
I see black burning in the pads, and such will wear the testpins faster.
So my idea was to smear some grease on contacts, to prevent surface oxidation, and it could also remove heat from surfaces.

What kind of grease to use here, any type suitable? or just some silicone? How about additives?
thanks

Auto parts stores sell the stuff too. It comes in little tubes and is usually clear. The recommended use is on lamp contacts.

Depending on the appliucation, you might want to use antioxidant instead, something like Noalox, which is a dark paste. Especially if you're seeing evidence of overheating contacts. That would be more of a hardware-store item.

What is plated on the nickel? That nickel is going to tarnish on its own, should have a layer of metal over it, like gold typically, alhough if this is high current with some grease then maybe just tin would work (not sure, I don’t design connector contacts, but I sure do specify gold plated on PCB’s for many boards).

30amp testpins hitting nickleplated copper studs.
well i think it´s nickel because color similarity (cutlery). no data.
silver is whitish hue and will blacken from sulphur in air.
thanks for info, will do shopping research.

Dielectric grease is specifically made for this purpose and is the most commonly used. It's clear and is essentially silicone grease which is sold under many labels for various uses like Super Lube, Sil-Glyde, etc. Really any good grease can work for electrical contacts as it is just coating the surface to prevent corrosion, so it's common for folks to use petroleum jelly, multipurpose grease, or white lithium grease in those applications.

I cheaped out and bought a tube of vacuum grease.. Its silicone and it lasts forever. The tube I purchased will last me the rest of my life, check it out. Its used on the seals of high vacuum furnaces and it can last on surfaces that reach temperatures that reach over 500 celcius. Good stuff..

I don’t think dielectric grease is a bad choice, but I like the idea of a conductive grease here. No-ox-Id or something similar… and verify the ESR of the circuit after applying the grease. Ive heard claims of battery terminals performing poorly because of too much dielectric grease being present. Even a conductive grease won’t be as conductive as bright metal on metal. So verify that nothing odd happened…

Back