Eight days of use review of Samsung Galaxy A53 5G-DIY activation

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Eight days ago I activated a new Galaxy A53 5g. From the first screen swipe of the beautiful Amoled 6.5 in screen, I knew It has the perfect combo of features FOR MY NEEDS. The features that sold me were the 120hz screen refresh, 1080p 60fps Amoled display, 1/2 amp battery, fast charge capable, dual speakers that sound good, good camera setup with more MP's than I'll ever need or use, 4K 30fps Videos, auto switching of 4G or 5G whichever is stronger, 4 years of UI upgrades (latest is already installed) and 5 years of security updates. There are more but trivial to some.

I DIY'ed my service from Tracfone to Mint Mobile. From gathering passcodes and account numbers from Tracfone, to setting up Mint Mobile, along with sending my files and apps to the new phone via cable, took 3.5 hrs. Tracfone was slow to release my number but the files took over an hour to transfer. The transfer was complete and had maybe two errors that I have noticed so far.

So far the Mint Mobile service has been excellent. Easy to set up and excellent audio thru ear speaker or speakerphone. The dual speakers on the phone itself sound good on non technical music and when talking on the phone. At my lady friend's house in the sticks, it has 2 to 4 bars of 4G inside her metal sided pole barn style, MIL cottage. The Tracfone service rarely worked there. No coverage issues I can complain about at this early stage.

For the phone itself the 6.5" display is the star of the show. 120hz refresh along with the 1080p 60fps display, make sports streaming very smooth. Screen swipes are uber quick and a lot less blurry with the 120 Hz refresh rate. Dark Mode on the A53 is a step up from previous phone, the Amoled screen produces deeper blacks than the A10e, which had an LCD screen. The larger form factor has presented no problems. The volume and power switches are lower on the phone. This makes for easy one hand adjustments. The phone no longer has a headphone jack but is IP67 water protection rated. The phone came with a set of free wireless ear buds which sound very nice, good bass and nice highs that are not harsh. The charge has lasted through a couple of long listening sessions. Will use the buds a lot listening to music while watching baseball games. Other accessories are the Samsung case with built in stand, the 25 watt charger which I may return as the 15w from the A10e charges the phone quickly.

This is the first time I have had a current model phone. It was not cheap but I feel a fair value, taking into account the free buds, which feel and sound like $80 to $100 buds, that I will use. This phone packs a lot of Flagship Features for mid tier prices. The speed of accessing files and Ring doorbell videos is at least 5 times faster. Bought this directly from Samsung on its April 1st release date. Used Samsung's 36 month 0% financing. Yes, I paid nearly full price. Received a 5% discount. Android Auto connects much quicker (sec vs min) in the new Venza, and streaming from YouTube Music is shall we say, better connected. So glad that decided it was time for a better new release Smartphone. Hoping for 4 to 5 years of competent service from this phone.

Last edited:
Eight days ago I activated a new Galaxy A53 5g. From the first screen swipe of the beautiful Amoled 6.5 in screen, I knew It has the perfect combo of features FOR MY NEEDS. The features that sold me were the 120hz screen refresh, 1080p 60fps Amoled display, 1/2 amp battery, fast charge capable, dual speakers that sound good, good camera setup with more MP's than I'll ever need or use, 4K 30fps Videos, auto switching of 4G or 5G whichever is stronger, 4 years of UI upgrades (latest is already installed) and 5 years of security updates. There are more but trivial to some.

I DIY'ed my service from Tracfone to Mint Mobile. From gathering passcodes and account numbers from Tracfone, to setting up Mint Mobile, along with sending my files and apps to the new phone via cable, took 3.5 hrs. Tracfone was slow to release my number but the files took over an hour to transfer. The transfer was complete and had maybe two errors that I have noticed so far.

So far the Mint Mobile service has been excellent. Easy to set up and excellent audio thru ear speaker or speakerphone. The dual speakers on the phone itself sound good on non technical music and when talking on the phone. At my lady friend's house in the sticks, it has 2 to 4 bars of 4G inside her metal sided pole barn style, MIL cottage. The Tracfone service rarely worked there. No coverage issues I can complain about at this early stage.

For the phone itself the 6.5" display is the star of the show. 120hz refresh along with the 1080p 60fps display, make sports streaming very smooth. Screen swipes are uber quick and a lot less blurry with the 120 Hz refresh rate. Dark Mode on the A53 is a step up from previous phone, the Amoled screen produces deeper blacks than the A10e, which had an LCD screen. The larger form factor has presented no problems. The volume and power switches are lower on the phone. This makes for easy one hand adjustments. The phone no longer has a headphone jack but is IP67 water protection rated. The phone came with a set of free wireless ear buds which sound very nice, good bass and nice highs that are not harsh. The charge has lasted through a couple of long listening sessions. Will use the buds a lot listening to music while watching baseball games. Other accessories are the Samsung case with built in stand, the 25 watt charger which I may return as the 15w from the A10e charges the phone quickly.

This is the first time I have had a current model phone. It was not cheap but I feel a fair value, taking into account the free buds, which feel and sound like $80 to $100 buds, that I will use. This phone packs a lot of Flagship Features for mid tier prices. The speed of accessing files and Ring doorbell videos is at least 5 times faster. Bought this directly from Samsung on its April 1st release date. Used Samsung's 36 month 0% financing. Yes, I paid nearly full price. Received a 5% discount. Android Auto connects much quicker (sec vs min) in the new Venza, and streaming from YouTube Music is shall we say, better connected. So glad that decided it was time for a better new release Smartphone. Hoping for 4 to 5 years of competent service from this phone.
Reminds me of the boost mobile celero 5G phone I was using. There’s some ok budget androids.

I might never buy another flagship android again. The tech has trickled down so much a $300-500 android is more than good enough for me. I bought flagships like the s7 edge and s9 plus since it was the only way to get great cameras, displays, decent storage, and overall performance. But modern midrangers are too good.

I might never buy another flagship android again. The tech has trickled down so much a $300-500 android is more than good enough for me. I bought flagships like the s7 edge and s9 plus since it was the only way to get great cameras, displays, decent storage, and overall performance. But modern midrangers are too good.
Last flagship android I bought is the galaxy s7. I guess the iPhone XR would be equal to a mid-tier device.

LG G3 was my first real smart phone, then the LG V20, and now the V60. But I was very close on getting the A53 as well. The lack of headphone jack kept me away. I still run tape adapters in my older truck and crown vics. Its old skool but im not interested in audiophile sound quality in the car as my loud music days are over.

Different strokes. C'mon, man. 65" is big, enough. On new purchases, compare the specs as to the speaker watts. Back lighting is better than edge lighting. Sony, Samsung, and LG are the best brands. Wait a few years and get a better TV for less money. Ymmv

Last flagship android I bought is the galaxy s7. I guess the iPhone XR would be equal to a mid-tier device.
Yes, there is actually a PC magazine review comparing the Samsung A53 to the iPhone SE.
I think Herman did a great review, in fact his review on the screen matches PC Magazine reviews but the speed part they weren't thrilled with but one has to keep in mind price and the fact that the review doesnt come up with a better alternative at the price.

LG G3 was my first real smart phone, then the LG V20, and now the V60. But I was very close on getting the A53 as well. The lack of headphone jack kept me away. I still run tape adapters in my older truck and crown vics. Its old skool but im not interested in audiophile sound quality in the car as my loud music days are over.
I had the V30...outstanding phone. Then the G7, which I liked a lot. Perfect size. I just received my new LG Velvet 5g T-mobile version and finished setting it up. It's a great phone albeit slightly larger at 6.7".
Seems picky about fast chargers though. So far, if only fast charges with the cable and charger that came in the box with it. The G7 fast charged with any generic fast charger including the one in my car.
$240 for a brand new flagship 5g phone but 2 years old is fine by me.

I also just transferred to Mint and went to a Samsung S10e. A coworker let me use her A53 5G and my first impression was.. good. Not a total POS like the lesser A phones.. I think it was a touch large and maybe a little slow (not sure, I used it all of 2 minutes) but. GREAT review!!!

And yeah TracFone dump them like a container of hot oil you didnt let cool down.

Yes, there is actually a PC magazine review comparing the Samsung A53 to the iPhone SE.
I think Herman did a great review, in fact his review on the screen matches PC Magazine reviews but the speed part they weren't thrilled with but one has to keep in mind price and the fact that the review doesnt come up with a better alternative at the price.
I'm about 6 months into the A53 and Mint Mobile, it is still doing its job as expected. With my stand case it makes a great belly tv.. DirecTV Stream works great on the phone. The processor and video speeds are very adequate for streaming 1080p 60f video seamlessly. Picked up my old phone the other day for some music files on It. This phone is so much faster. It may not have class leading speed but it's plenty snappy for me. Still happy with Mint Mobile. Works seamlessly. Still would recommend.

I'm about 6 months into the A53 and Mint Mobile, it is still doing its job as expected. With my stand case it makes a great belly tv.. DirecTV Stream works great on the phone. The processor and video speeds are very adequate for streaming 1080p 60f video seamlessly. Picked up my old phone the other day for some music files on It. This phone is so much faster. It may not have class leading speed but it's plenty snappy for me. Still happy with Mint Mobile. Works seamlessly. Still would recommend.
It's a big help when people follow up on reviews like you just did. Good to know for anyone interested.

Back