EGR system cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

If i clean my EGR valve and EGR passages. may i see any gain in MPG or performance?

I drive a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse v6.... the EGR passages and valve are in a very hard to reach position. I've owned this car for 5 years and i never cleaned anything related to the EGR system. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Last edited:
It is likely you will see the gains you are looking for I say go for it. I am not too familiar with these engines but I don't see the harm

I sincerely doubt that you'll see any improvements in MPG or performance.

The EGR is there to bring down combustion temperatures under load to reduce emissions. In doing so it lowers combustion efficiency so really more EGR flow -> worse fuel economy. As long as the EGR is flowing well enough to keep the check engine light off and you aren't having any problems with spark knock you can safely assume flow is sufficient and let it be.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
Hello,
If i clean my EGR valve and EGR passages. may i see any gain in MPG or performance?
I drive a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse v6.... the EGR passages and valve are in a very hard to reach position. I've owned this car for 5 years and i never cleaned anything related to the EGR system. Is it worth it?
Thanks

It's always a good idea to pay attention to these systems as they tend to get really gunked up in time. But Yonyon is correct, the MIL will quickly come on if it malfs.

I have seen dramatic increases in both mileage and driveability when cleaning EGR on V-8's, so depending on your car's condition you may see some improvement.

Definitely not worth the hassle, especially if it's so hard to access. The engine light will tell you exactly when the EGR is clogged or malfunctioning.
Plus, if it's vacuum actuated you may kink some hoses or create some cracks, it they're brittle, when trying to access the EGR valve and cause more problems that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back