Effects of running predator 212 at an angle, lack of lubrication?

I built a mud motor with a backwater 6.5hp ultralight kit. I used a predator 212 engine as there was nothing else available at the time. It’s mounted on a 12’ Jon boat and works great but I worry about the longevity of the engine since it is running constantly at a 10-20 degree angle. Will the splash oiler system be compromised ? Vanguard makes a 200 sized engine with the option for an inclination kit that allows it to run at any angle with no ill affects but is impossible to find one for sale and can’t order directly plus no dealers locally.

This engine has a low oil shutdown that triggers when it gets tilted. I've had it happen on my snowblower and actually cut the wire so it wouldn't happen again.

The low oil sensor is disconnected, since it will randomly shut the unit down in chop/turns ect…I just don’t want to be out 5 miles in a marsh and lose a bearing on the plus side I know others are using it and have never heard of one failing do to oil starvation. I do add more oil to it than required for level operation to hopefully get everything lubed. I would feel safer with the vanguard with the inclination option.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have an issue. Add a touch more oil if you're concerned.

I have 3 of those engines in my shop. One has a billet rod and flywheel, 14cc head, 13.5:1 compression, MOD2 cam, and runs on methanol. Tilted vertically, even at 7000 rpm, there's no issues with oil splash.

I agree to keep the oil level slightly overfilled. I imagine it’ll be fine as long as there’s something in the sump that’s relatively slippery and somewhat clean.

Ok, good to know, I’ll stop worrying about it but still keep a couple paddles on hand just in case lol. I love the set up, it gets me into spots I had only dreamed of going before.

Another question while we are on the 212 mud motor, it pretty cold on my morning hunts and have switched to synthetic 5w-30 oil, I have tons laying around. I’m thinking it’s pretty thin oil and was contemplating switching to amsoil 10w-30 or 10w-40 and see if I encounter any hard starts. The manual suggests conventional 10w-30 above 32F and 5w-30 below 32F.

During the break in I ran conventional bass pro shop 10w-30 marine oil and one morning when it was in the low 20’s it was pretty stiff but was able to start her no problem, I switched to 5w-30 supertech synthetic oil as I have jugs of it sitting around, the difference was noticeable. So do y’all think the difference was the lighter oil or the fact it was synthetic and less effected by the cold. Now I’m wondering if I’d be better off just running full synthetic 10w-30. Would 10w-40 synthetic be better than 5w-30 conventional in the cold even though conventional 5w-30 is thinner when warm?

The difference was due to the 5W-xx winter rating. The first number represents the minimum temperature for cold start pumpability, hence the "W" stands for winter. Whether the base oil is conventional or synthetic is mostly irrelevant as far as cold cranking is concerned. All oils are more viscous at colder temperatures. A lower first number in a multi-grade means the oil doesn't thicken as much as the temperature drops, hence easier to crank.

I recommend synthetic as there's no advantage to using a conventional oil these days. Stick with the Super Tech synthetic 5W-30.

The crank has eccentrics that throw the oil around on both sides of the journal and the crankcase is pretty small. I doubt you will have any bearing issues due to the angle. Possibly one side of the cylinder wall gets a little less and wears a ring out a few hours early? Just a guess

I live up along the Canadian border actually, I went out yesterday and started my morning hunt at 33f and ended at close to 60f. It’ll never run much below 27f as the water freezes up at that point and makes it impossible to launch the boat. I hunt small lakes called prairie potholes so they don’t hold the heat nor do they have the wave action to keep them open when it get much colder. It looks like I should be ok from what y’all are saying, still would love to get the propper vanguard engine but haven’t been able to find one. I’ll just wear this one out and hopefully there will be more choices available then.

Used to run go kart motors on 15 degree motor mounts all the time. Only ran 20 oz. of oil also. Never a lubrication failure.
Same, I ran 12-14 ounces and was turning 6,500 - 7,000 rpms with Briggs flatheads.

Last edited:
I picked up some synthetic QS 5w-40 euro oil at Walmart I’m going to run in it and see if it starts easily on cold mornings, seems like a good compromise.

Back