Effects 10W30 oil can have on 5W30 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was happy to see that someone else has had the same results as I have. I recently had a 1998 silverado with the 5.7 vortec and I had used amsoil 5w-30. It always seemed to have a lot of chatter when I would first start the engine after it sat for a while. I changed that out for valvoline synthetic maxlife 10w-30 and the cold crank chatter completely went away. I purchased a 2006 sierra a couple weeks ago and noticed that it was doing the same thing with the pennzoil 5w-30 that the dealer put in it. I was curious to see what would happen if I changed that out again for the valvoline 10w-30 and the results were the same. I also noticed that the 10w-30 has a much lower noack volatility than the 5w-30. Personally, I believe the 10w-30 to be a much better oil.

Last edited:
Hi Deerslayer,

Welcome !!

I agree, if you don't live in a very cold climate (below 0F / -20C) then 10W-30 is my pick. Still my oil stash has a lot of good quality 5W-30 synthetics I picked up at good prices. I will happily use them up.

A couple years ago I went on a 5300 mile summer road trip across Canada and the northern US.
Since I'd be cruising for hours at up to 85mph I poured in some MS5K 10w-30 instead of my usual 5w-30.
Did it make any difference? Don't know, but I felt better about it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hi Deerslayer,

Welcome !!

I agree, if you don't live in a very cold climate (below 0F / -20C) then 10W-30 is my pick. Still my oil stash has a lot of good quality 5W-30 synthetics I picked up at good prices. I will happily use them up.

Well, we do get some sub zero in the winter in Iowa, but I still use a 10w30 year round. Only difference now from years past is that I use a synthetic 10w30 instead of a conventional now. Been waiting since the 70's to see an engine grenade by using a 10w30 in my area, and still hasn't happened. My dad was a staunch straight 30w user for as long as I can remember. He never lost an engine in this upper Midwest state either. But that is a little outside of my comfort zone to use only a straight 30w. Unless it is one of those products like Amsoil has that states it is a 30w but also qualifies as a 10w30. Would use that kind of thing in my small engine stuff, but not about the auto/pickup.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
A couple years ago I went on a 5300 mile summer road trip across Canada and the northern US.
Since I'd be cruising for hours at up to 85mph I poured in some MS5K 10w-30 instead of my usual 5w-30.
Did it make any difference? Don't know, but I felt better about it.

So your road trip was 90% cruising at temperature. So 0w30,5w30,10w30, Straight 30 would have been about the same performance.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: SR5
OP, Merk is just joking, as he does.

Awe man... you ruined a perfectly good troll post.
lol.gif

Have you forgotten our little "respected member" chat?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back