Ecore Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally used the STP S3387a Ecore oil filter I got free at Autozone last year. I pulled it at 3500 miles and cut it open. Like Bill's recent post, everything looked fine . . . media sound and well bonded to the end caps, ADBV intact and flexible. I'd use another one without hesitation.

No photos or UOA . . . too apathetic I guess.

One thing though: This was the first used filter I actually cut open. Even though I let it drain overnight, there was maybe an ounce of oil still in the filter. It may have nothing to do with this particular design. It does make me wonder how much oil we're all sending to the landfill. It can't be good . . . .

Iffy Lube etc. crush them. I drill a hole in my filters to drain them. I also throw them in with the tin cans to be recycled. Of course, i am afraid some of the stuff collected by recycling centers still ends up in the landfill.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Iffy Lube etc. crush them. I drill a hole in my filters to drain them. I also throw them in with the tin cans to be recycled. Of course, i am afraid some of the stuff collected by recycling centers still ends up in the landfill.

One would hope not..Iffy lube could be fined.

Waste Management or a competitor picks them up and takes them to a smelter to be recycled into rebar.

What I figure is some of the paper and plastic collected at recycling centers is still landfilled for lack of markets.

They may still pass everything by a magnet to pick out the steel for reuse.

In other threads, I have suggested much of the recycling is an energy intensive boondoggle.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
What I figure is some of the paper and plastic collected at recycling centers is still landfilled for lack of markets.

They may still pass everything by a magnet to pick out the steel for reuse.

In other threads, I have suggested much of the recycling is an energy intensive boondoggle.

In my area ..the community picks what items to recycle from a buffet/smorgasboard of suggested materials. It can glass, HDPE2 ..cardboard, whatever ..4 or 5 items. There's no "rule". Naturally metal cans are included for all.

The thing is ..we don't recylce cardboard (we don't)..the next township doesn't recycle newspaper (we do) ...yet all go to the same place by the same people.

Most of it ends up in the same landfill.

What a rip off.

Oil filters from DYI'ers can be sent to a land fill but commercial operations like quick lubes or dealer garages are different, they must recycle.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
Oil filters from DYI'ers can be sent to a land fill but commercial operations like quick lubes or dealer garages are different, they must recycle.

That depends on the locality. Ours are supposed to go to a recycling location that handles oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
Posted this in the "who ya gonna call..Filter Manufacturers" sticky:

For information on the disposal of Used Oil Filters:

1-800-993-4583

This phone number is NOT for filter cross reference.

What is available:
State & Federal regulatory information on used filter management

Referrals to filter transporters, processors & recyclers in your area

Referrals to regulatory agency for your jurisdiction.
-----------------------------------------------

The above is:
Sponsored by the Filter Manufacturers Council.
Administered by MEMA Environmental Institute.

Those boys and girls have a boatload of changing state disposal regulations to keep track of, nice service.
patriot.gif

Here in BC there's a 50 cent "eco-fee" charged in-store every time you buy an oil filter to cover recycling costs. 5 cents (or is it 10?) per quart of oil. Then you can drop off your used filters/oil to some of the big chain stores to be recycled.

True..city or county councils can pass laws to do this.

However, it is not against Federal Law or any State Law ( that I am aware of) which prevents a DYI'er from hot draining the filter and sending it to the landfill.

No restrictions here. All in due time. I would think that two laws/regulations will be coming. One that you can't put them in the trash ..and one that anyone who sells retail filters ..must accept used ones for recycling. It may go on a "You pay here- you play here" type thing. It may evolve to a $1 or $2 surcharge included on all filters to fund the recycling program. This would allow the most authortarian and "pork" potential method to be used. The current recycling system, in my area anyway, did more to expand the landfill operators wallets (Waste Management, BFI, etc.) then it has done anything to recycle post comsumer waste. It was an attempt to create a supply stream for the stuff. I pointed out in one of my "Reader's views" letters to the local paper when we were compelled to establish a recycling system ..that my former female horseman girlfriend has had a supply stream for manure for as far back as I can recall ..yet no demand of any substance has been created for the stuff ..to any sensible level anyway
dunno.gif

Recycling Used Oil Filters At the Shop

Introduction
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used oil filters are recyclable because they're made of steel, North America's number one recycled material. They are being recycled today into new steel products, such as cans, cars, appliances and construction materials. Recycling all the filters sold annually in the United States would result in the recovery of about 160,000 tons of steel, or enough steel to make 16 new stadiums the size of Atlanta's Olympic Stadium.

Federal Guidelines for Used Oil Filters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While most used oil filters were just thrown in the trash a short time ago, today we know they're recyclable. Some states have banned used oil filters from the landfill while others have placed restrictions on how they can be discarded. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires used oil filters be drained of all free-flowing oil before they are discarded or recycled. Most states follow federal requirements for used oil filter disposal. Currently, U.S. manufactured oil filters are exempt from hazardous waste regulation if the oil filter is:

punctured through the dome end or anti-drain back valve and hot-drained; or
hot-drained and crushed; or
hot-drained and dismantled; or
hot-drained using an equivalent method to remove used oil

What is hot-draining?

Hot-draining is defined as draining the oil filter at or near-engine operating temperature but above 60 degrees Farenheit. In other words, remove the filter from the engine while it is still warm, then puncture or crush and drain the filter. The EPA recommends hot-draining for a minimum of 12-hours, although specific state requirements may vary. Most of the oil is removed from the filter during hot-draining.

WARNING: Use caution when hot-draining filters to avoid being burned. Protective equipment such as safety glasses and gloves should be worn to prevent injury.

Finding Specific State Information

To find out the specific requirements for generators, collectors and processors for your state, call the Used Filter Recycling Hotline at 1-800-993-4583. The Used Filter Recycling Hotline is sponsored by the Filter Manufacturers Council and administered by the Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA) Environmental Institute. Callers to the hotline receive an easy-to-read summary of their state's filter management requirements; a list of companies in their area that transport, process and recycle used oil filters; and a brochure entitled "How to Choose a Filter Management Service."

Steps to Recycling Oil Filters

The three steps to recycling used oil filters are:

collection and transporation
processing
recycling by a steel mill into a new steel
If your business changes oil commercially, it is a good idea to voluntarily collect used oil filters from Do-It-Youselfers (DIYers). Businesses currently collecting used oil filters include auto parts stores, quick lubes, and other service outlets. As state agencies see businesses voluntarily collecting filters, there will be less need for mandatory regulations.

In addition, accepting used oil filters from DIYers can be used as a tool to market your business. Studies have shown consumers are more likely to patronize businesses that offer sound environmental management practices.

Before collecting used oil filters, you should arrange for a special waste collection company to pick them up from your shop. Alternatively, if you crush them with your own on-site equipment, you can take them to a ferrous scrap processor.

Once the filters are processed, they are sent to a steel mill or foundry. Some steel mills produce flat rolled steel products by combining scrap products and hot metal from iron ore to make products such as steel cans, cars, and appliances, while others use virtually 100 percent scrap to make products such as rebar and I-beams.

For a list of filter management companies that serve your area for used oil filters, call the Used Filter Recycling Hotline at 1-800-993-4583.

http://www.filtercouncil.org/envinfo/educational/recshop.html
==================

Some changes since I was on the Filter Council.

Posted this in the "who ya gonna call..Filter Manufacturers" sticky:

For information on the disposal of Used Oil Filters:

1-800-993-4583

This phone number is NOT for filter cross reference.

What is available:
State & Federal regulatory information on used filter management

Referrals to filter transporters, processors & recyclers in your area

Referrals to regulatory agency for your jurisdiction.
-----------------------------------------------

The above is:
Sponsored by the Filter Manufacturers Council.
Administered by MEMA Environmental Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back