Echo trimmer maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Hi bitogers
smile.gif

I decided that it was time to do some maintenance on my Echo trimmer model SRM-225. I bought it in 2012 and have done absolutely nothing to it since, except totally draining the tanks and carb before storage and adjusting the carb after the break-in period. I used the Echo Tune up Kit, which comes with new air and fuel filters and an NGK spark plug. It's a pretty straight forward process and I can feel the unit running a bit smoother. I also greased the shaft and the head.

It sees light duty, as my front and backyards are small and I would estimate about 30 hours total, which is not a lot, but most residential grade equipment is rated for 50 hours by the EPA, this trimmer is rated for 300 hours and by the loos of it, it will go the distance.
I've used nothing but the Echo synthetic oil for the mix and when I run it, I usually go full WOT. I think it helps keeping things clean and fairly soot free, as you can see from the pictures.

I have the same model as you. I just got a tune-up kit delivered last Friday via Amazon. I did change the head out for one that uses the replaceable 8" lengths of trimmer line. I did have issues with the loading system on the stock head. Easy to change the line qyuickly with the new head. I just carry some extra cut to length line in my pocket and change when necessary. Also, with the replaceble head, I can use .130 diameter line. Makes a big difference.

How are the fumes? Does it give off 2-cycle oil fumes? You'll know by the smell of your clothes after using it for an hour. I ask because these new trimmers are supposed to run a lot cleaner to satisfy the EPA.

Nice trimmer! Important to note that those EPA hour ratings are how long the unit is rated to achieve it's stated cleanliness rating. It is not how long the unit is estimated to to last.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How are the fumes? Does it give off 2-cycle oil fumes? You'll know by the smell of your clothes after using it for an hour. I ask because these new trimmers are supposed to run a lot cleaner to satisfy the EPA.

There is still some exhaust smell, you can't get rid of it all, but it's quite faint. Once the engine warms up, it doesn't smoke at all, like most 2-strokes do. I use the recommended 50:1 ratio.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Nice trimmer! Important to note that those EPA hour ratings are how long the unit is rated to achieve it's stated cleanliness rating. It is not how long the unit is estimated to to last.

Thanks! It's my first entry level, commercial grade machine and I think it's definitely worth the extra initial cost.
I understand the EPA rating, but my experience with my dad's and my FIL's cheap weed whackers is that once they are few years old, they become finicky. They are also quite a bit less powerful.
So I think there is a correlation between the EPA emission hour rating and the quality of the equipment.

Last edited:
My Echo trimmer is 10 years old. I haven't done ANYTHING to it. Never changed the plug. Never changed the fuel line or fuel filter. Ive blown the air filter off, and reinstalled it, but never found it to be all that dirty. Starts up on the second pull every time. I SHOULD grease the head and give it a tune up, but the thing just flat out runs great.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I have the same model as you. I just got a tune-up kit delivered last Friday via Amazon. I did change the head out for one that uses the replaceable 8" lengths of trimmer line. I did have issues with the loading system on the stock head. Easy to change the line qyuickly with the new head. I just carry some extra cut to length line in my pocket and change when necessary. Also, with the replaceble head, I can use .130 diameter line. Makes a big difference.

It's strange that you had problems with the stock head, it works great for me, but I have to use the 0.095 line. Just to clarify, was it called the Speed Feed, or something similar?
Mine is the speed feed version and I think it's great. I just cut about 6ft of line, align the arrows on the head, feed the line through the hole and rotate the bottom portion clockwise to feed the spool. It's perfect for my use.

Yep same one. The first few times I rewound with new line it worked fine. After the first few times it just wouldn't load the line evenly. Some of the line on the top spool would cross over the line on the bottom spool. Line loading method was always the same. It worked at first but then became problematic. I really like the ease with the new head and I love that thick .130 diameter Gatorline I'm using.

I got the echo 56V. No more mixing messes and disgusting fumes. More than enough power. A landscaping guy was doing work next door, asked me to try it and said he is buying one as a backup.

I use .095 line with ridges. It is the only electric that can take .095.

The latest batch of echo oil doesn't smell as much. Also the newer trimmers are supposed to have a cat in the muffler.

I use mine hours at a time. I've never noticed exhaust smells when done. On the other hand could be my age and my sense of smell had deteriorated.

Was the air filter dirty? I wouldn't have thought that you'd have to do much at 30 hours, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt! Nice work.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
I got the echo 56V. No more mixing messes and disgusting fumes. More than enough power. A landscaping guy was doing work next door, asked me to try it and said he is buying one as a backup.

I use .095 line with ridges. It is the only electric that can take .095.

I have an EGO 56V trimmer that uses 0.095" line as well. Was also one of the reasons I went with that one. Don't know how long they'll last, but battery powered trimmers are perfect for many residential users.

I've got a Sthil. I run their premix. I've had this trimmer for 3 years. Took the spark screen out of the exhaust just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back