Echo GT225 Curved Shaft Trimmer Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last trimmer, a Craftsman 21cc, 15" trimmer was bought 24 years ago and although it still ran good, starting it was becoming a project. All original including the carb, so I cant complain. My wife also of 24 years, decided to buy me a new trimmer for Christmas. She bought me a Echo GT225, which looked like a fine clone of the Craftsman for about three times the price. I used it yesterday for the first time. The engine is excellent. I put some 40:1 premix I had. Echo calls for 50:1 but I lean on the richer side. Started second pull and first pull through out the day. Engine is a 21cc but sounds bigger. Runs Great. My complaint is the trimmer head. They have a BIG head for people I guess they figure can't figure out a bump head. If you can't figure out how to load a bump head on a weed trimmer, you need a lawn service. Anyway, it's huge. You can't get I to small places and I already have it all beat up and knocked up. It's like a plate on the end. I hope I can get a smaller bump head or just a smaller head. Other than that, it's light, runs Great and has a 5 year warranty on the motor.
I probably would have bought myself a Ryobi or another Craftsman. I am not one of those guys that returns power equipment so I ll live with my decision to keep it. I hate the large head though and the stupid line reloader.

Last edited:
I have had mine for about four years now. Light weight, plenty of power, and has been very durable plus it never makes my hand shake because of vibrations. Have not done a spark plug change yet. Don't buy the standard Echo bump head because it is just way too sensitive, and will use way too much line. Get the Echo Speed Feed at Home Depot. Been using the Speed Feed head for two seasons now, and it works very good. Very easy to load line on it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Speed-Feed-400-Curved-Shaft-Trimmer-Head-99944200908/205086555

When I bought mine, the engine was made in Japan, but it was assembled in China. Don't know what they are doing with the new ones now.

I have an Echomatic Pro head (part 21560031) on my main Echo trimmer, and it is fantastic. I have the same large speed feed head on my other Echo trimmer, and I dont care for it. If the Pro Head will fit, its a good swap.

Your wife made a fine choice. There are only two brands of trimmers worth purchasing, IMHO. Echo and Stihl. Echo is sold by Home Depot so it can be found nearly everywhere. Stihl is only sold by authorized retailers, but these same sources also do maintenance if and when it may be required. I own a Stihl curved shaft trimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back