Early review on 2015 Chrysler T&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have put over 5,000 miles on the new fan and so far so good. It is relatively quiet, super comfortable and of course amazingly utilitarian. This is the first van we have owned,the first V6 and the first with leather.

The cons first:
- V6. The engine bay is cramped and there will be some simple maintenance items I can't do myself because of it. I would almost say it has too much power, too. It takes very little pushing on the gas before tires start chirping.
- The cushy ride. I like firmer setups.
- City driving MPGs. We tend to get around 19-21 MPGs when doing daily short trips around town.
- I don't like how the rear video screen blocks a part of the review mirror.
- The conversation mirror is not far enough forward. If you are short, you can't see the kid in the middle seat behind the driver.
- You have to move front seats all the way forward to stow the middle seats.
- Backup camera: there are no alerts or driving aids when in use. It is just a camera with some lines and depth perception is very difficult to judge.
- Multimedia center doesn't allow you to store and play video files on the HDD.

Now the likes:
1) highway MPGs. We have taken 5 trips so far and the MPGs range from 29-32! We saw 29 going 75 MPH for a few hundred miles and 32 when traveling around 65 MPH for a hundred miles (both round trip no tail winds). For a sticker of 25 MPGs highway, this has by far been the best surprise. This was the reason we wanted an odyssey but this aint shabby.
2) Multimedia center. I didn't want one as I figured it would forever be a "necessity" after having one. Sure enough, I don't think the wife or kids could go without one anymore.
3) AC. The climate control is great. Seems easy to use and has a powerful AC. This is the first auto climate control we have owned. No complaints but we'll see if we ever have to repair it.
4) Cushy ride. The wife likes the "luxury" ride.
5) Middle row stow-n-go is great to have. When not in use, the in floor storage is massive.
6) Backup camera is much better than not having one.
7) Multimedia center has 2 zones for audio and HDMI input. Playing videos off a mobile device is super easy.
8) Drivetrain: Engine and transmission are very smooth.
9) The leather seats are great so far. They aren't even that hot thanks to:
10) Tinted privacy glass. The stock tint is great. Keeps interior relatively cool when sitting in the heat.
11) Power doors and tailgate: Every mom's dream, right?
12) Tires with actual sidewalls and plenty of tire options. My last couple cars had very few tire choices.
13) Clean oil changes. This is a bit of an assumption on my part but I should be able to do the entire oil change from the top of the engine bay since the filter cartridge is accessed from above and I use a pump for extraction of oil. I haven't done it yet but it should be easy and clean.
14) The steering wheel is really nice. It is a bit thicker than I have had before but it feels great in the hands.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but overall we are very pleased. I was sad to hear the T&C is now dead. The pacifica has a lot to live up to.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
- City driving MPGs. We tend to get around 19-21 MPGs when doing daily short trips around town.

That's not bad at all, IMO.

- V6. The engine bay is cramped and there will be some simple maintenance items I can't do myself because of it. I would almost say it has too much power, too. It takes very little pushing on the gas before tires start chirping.

I agree. It's impressive how much power this has, for a minivan.

- You have to move front seats all the way forward to stow the middle seats.

Definitely a little annoying when you have power seats. For us only the driver is power, that's a PITA, but the passenger being a manual isn't bad.

- Backup camera: there are no alerts or driving aids when in use. It is just a camera with some lines and depth perception is very difficult to judge.

They must have removed this. Ours yells at you when you are getting to close to something.

- Multimedia center doesn't allow you to store and play video files on the HDD.

That's disappointing.

- highway MPGs
I've driven a few trips, even fully loaded to Disney the other year yielded upper 20s, around 28mpg. Pretty impressive for a brick.

- Middle row stow-n-go is great to have. When not in use, the in floor storage is massive.
The stow n go is very configurable. We have ours set to where the middle passenger side is down and the infant is behind the driver and our two 4 year olds are in the back row. Still very usable for space and accommodates our seating needs.

- Tires with actual sidewalls and plenty of tire options.
While there are options, it's still $1000 for a set and an alignment.

- Clean oil changes.
It is a very simple oil change. I don't know if they've reconfigured the underhood at all from 2012, but I pull the air tube from the box to the throttle body and then the filter is right there. Personally, I use a 6 point impact socket (about the only way I could get a 6pt socket in that size) to remove the filter and I always have an extra cap on hand in case I break one as most of my work is done on weekends, especially Sunday and the car needs to be able to drive when I'm done.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's not bad at all, IMO.

I agree. My wife's super short trip commute gets 18-21. I'm happy.

Congratulations on being satisfied with your new van. I owned 3 Chrysler vans in my previous life and all had very low cost of ownership. The utilitarian value of mini vans is remarkable. They have so much easy access space, entry is very easy, and it's nice sitting up higher.

My wife and I are just the opposite about vehicle amenities. On our last shopping venture I can remember my wife being turned off by infotainment systems, etc.. I found your review fascinating because most of it was about the amenities vs. performance. The gas mileage is astounding.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Congratulations on being satisfied with your new van. I owned 3 Chrysler vans in my previous life and all had very low cost of ownership. The utilitarian value of mini vans is remarkable. They have so much easy access space, entry is very easy, and it's nice sitting up higher.

My wife and I are just the opposite about vehicle amenities. On our last shopping venture I can remember my wife being turned off by infotainment systems, etc.. I found your review fascinating because most of it was about the amenities vs. performance. The gas mileage is astounding.

Enjoy!

This is our first fully loaded (i know it isn't "fully") vehicle and those are the things the wife has enjoyed the most. She wanted them. I would have rather had a basic dodge and save the money/future repair bills. But it is nice. My favorite is the MPGs and comfy cruising.

My wife also complains that the throttle is touchy on our 2014 caravan r/t, the idle can be rough on cold startup and the ride is a little bit on the rough side. we are about to put 3000 miles on ours in the next two weeks.

I disagree on the engine compartment being cramped, the rear spark plugs/coils are easily accessible without removing the cowl.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

I don't know if it is regional or not but there are plenty of good tire options around here that run less than $600 installed with no discounts. They are 225/65/17 for this van.

I don't know if it is regional or not but there are plenty of good tire options around here that run less than $600 installed with no discounts. They are 225/65/17 for this van.

You are spot on. The General Altimax R43 should be awesome on this vehicle.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)&partnum=265TR7AMRT43

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

You are spot on. The General Altimax R43 should be awesome on this vehicle.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)&partnum=265TR7AMRT43

I think right now my want-to-try list goes in this order:
1) Yokahama Avid Ascend
2) Continental True Contact
3) Bridgestone Ecopia
4) General Altimax R43

When I get tires this fall, i'll probably go for whichever I can get the best price on.

I always avoid V6's because of the mpg's
But this is doing the same or better than my CUV's with a 2L 4
I think that's great!

There's a reason why Chrysler is still in the minivan business continuously since 1984 whereas GM and Ford aren't.....

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I think that's great!

I swear, after years of owning 4 cylinders (aside from the BMW garage queen) I'm never going to own another after this Focus. V6 or nothing from here on out!

In which country? You're not referring to this one.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I think that's great!

I swear, after years of owning 4 cylinders (aside from the BMW garage queen) I'm never going to own another after this Focus. V6 or nothing from here on out!

So a Focus ST or RS wouldn't be sufficient?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

In which country? You're not referring to this one.

Right now it would cost me $120/tire plus $99 to get my regular shop to do an alignment. I don't do quickie place alignments anymore. That is $580 not using any discounts.

I'm in Kansas City, MO.

EDIT: Sorry, this board has me all jumbled up right now. I can't make out much of anything.

Last edited:
We have similar experience with our 15 Grand Caravan. I love the utility and stow and go seats. The van had no trouble transporting a 50 gal water heater still in its box and I did not have to leave the middle seats in my garage. My wife loves the power sliding doors and the lift gate and the kids love the dual DVD system. It's a great family hauler for sure.

I disagree however that the engine bay is cramped, at least not for a transverse mounted V6. I would say it's average.

Regarding the climate control and the triple zone system. There is a separate heater core and evaporator in the back. The lines going to them are behind the rear passenger wheel with no protection and it's a known weak spot.
I don't know how I'm going to deal with it yet, but I think I can fashion something up from rubber splash guards or something like that.

My grandmother bought a 2014 GC a few months ago and loves it, I've driven it a few times. TONS of power and comfortable. This thing can REALLY a stop on a dime too, has the best brakes of any vehicle I've ever driven. I borrowed it to transport a 65" TV I bought and it fit no problem. I don't like having to scoot the seats all the way up to stow the middle row, but it's ok I guess. Tons of storage, especially under the center console. Rear A/C works fantastic, stereo (not navigation) sounds great.

We're approaching 60K trouble free miles on our 2013 Grand Caravan so far and love it. I'm assuming that 29+ mpg highway run was not with a van stuffed with people and gear? Ours typically has 6 people and all their gear for long trips. We still get ~23 MPG at 75mph. 60K mile rated tires in the 225/65R17 flavor have been lasting us about 30K miles. The weight of the vehicle and frequent around town trips really uses up tires on these vans. In fact I just put a new pair of Cooper CS3s on the front and a like new pair of Yoko Geolanders on the rear (that I had on hand from a CL purchase). You do have to be careful on takeoff to not spin the front tires. The power is great on these vans.

I think you'll find the engine bay on any V6 minivan to be tight. I don't think you can remove the rear bank of sparkplugs on the Pentastar w/out removing the upper intake manifold. A pretty common thing for today's V6s.

The top load oil filter is nice, but I don't care for the cap/housing on the Pentastar. There's no positive stop when you tighten it up like I've found owning other vehicles with this type of oil filter housing. I just kind of snug it with a 3/8" ratchet handle (can look up torque rating).

I had the pan dropped and filter changed on the 62TE AT around 45K miles at a local transmission shop. Cost about $75.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back