Early Mach-E software glitch...

It’s cool though...the GM at a Ford dealership hasn’t heard a single word about any problems...lol. When you sell crap I guess it’s best to put your head in the sand.

Battery problem

Ford is working on the software charging issue for early Mustang Mach-E builds.
Hopefully OTA updates will fix the issue.
I would guess so, as the later cars seem to be fine.

Seems like Fords OTA update window of alteration is out of bounds nearly immediately.

"The issue affects vehicles built on or before Feb. 3, Ford said. While the company has touted the potential for over-the-air updates, this fix requires a dealer visit."

Seems like Fords OTA update window of alteration is out of bounds nearly immediately.

"The issue affects vehicles built on or before Feb. 3, Ford said. While the company has touted the potential for over-the-air updates, this fix requires a dealer visit."
Oops.
Ford, and likely the others, has some catching up to do.
Can they do it? Time will tell.

I wish them luck.

If this is the issue I think it is, which is that the 12V battery discharges while the car is fast charging, then yeah, for whatever reason, that update can't (at this point) be applied through the OTA system. Likely one of the modules (as we've discussed before, there are several) that can't yet be done OTA.

This is a big shift for a legacy manufacturer, doing OTA updates vs what's been traditionally done via a scantool at the dealer. Tesla has a huge lead on this and it is going to come with complications and oopsies, like this one, where the existing system, or capabilities of said system, are insufficient to implement an update of this nature, whereas Tesla would be able to.

Oops.
Ford, and likely the others, has some catching up to do.
Can they do it? Time will tell.

I wish them luck.
With Microsoft as their apparent partner, I'm sure it can be done. But there is a LOT of growth needing to happen to even bring them remotely close to Tesla.

With Microsoft as their apparent partner, I'm sure it can be done. But there is a LOT of growth needing to happen to even bring them remotely close to Tesla.
Microsoft is the programming powerhouse. Their programming products gave me a wonderful career; I became an insider and got to play with pre-release tools. And work with incredible talent.
Years ago, Microsoft had me meet in Redmond with the Tesla CIO over dinner. The discussion was an in-house SAP replacement, procurement and mfg modules. Pure .Net framework... No small task, but Elon hated SAP. I was flat out fascinated, as I would love to tackle something like that. By the way, the Tesla IT team pulled off "Warp Drive" in a matter of months instead of years. You can see the ex CIO, Jay Vijayan, discuss this on Youtube.

Anyways, I would suggest that just because you have programmers, does not mean you get the project completed; completed to the desired result.
Tesla designs its own chips and works directly with foundries. They are working on 5nm technologies as we speak.
They have partnered with Samsung and TSMC. In the nanometrics chip world, there is no better.

Tesla Warp Drive

Last edited:
Microsoft is the programming powerhouse. Their programming products gave me a wonderful career; I became an insider and got to play with pre-release tools. And work with incredible talent.
Years ago, Microsoft had me meet in Redmond with the Tesla CIO over dinner. The discussion was an in-house SAP replacement, procurement and mfg modules. Pure .Net framework... No small task, but Elon hated SAP. I was flat out fascinated, as I would love to tackle something like that. By the way, the Tesla IT team pulled off "Warp Drive" in a matter of months instead of years. You can see the ex CIO, Jay Vijayan, discuss this on Youtube.

Anyways, I would suggest that just because you have programmers, does not mean you get the project completed; completed to the desired result.
Tesla designs its own chips and works directly with foundries. They are working on 5nm technologies as we speak.
They have partnered with Samsung and TSMC. In the nanometrics chip world, there is no better.

Tesla Warp Drive

Very cool video, thanks for the share!

My point was simply that Ford, through Microsoft, has access to a broader scope of software development resources than its peers, which should prove to be advantageous, at least in theory.

Very cool video, thanks for the share!

My point was simply that Ford, through Microsoft, has access to a broader scope of software development resources than its peers, which should prove to be advantageous, at least in theory.
Absolutely. Microsoft has the might. For example, Tableau has been the #1 analytics and dashboard tool for years and is filthy expensive. Microsoft developed Power BI in a matter of months. They literally put thousands of programmers on it and rendered an inexpesnive, easy to use (little or no training) product.

I was at a Microsoft programmer conference when one of the Power BI team, a friend of mine, took me into a back room and showed me Power BI while in its early development phase. I recommended it to my company, but was shot down; they chose Qlik Sense. Well, a couple of million dollars and 2 years later, the Qlik project was a total failure (too hard for users) and those same finance users were authoring Power BI dashboards on their own.

I love Microsoft. And I hate SAP as well. Far too expensive and old architecture. Microsoft has the might.

Back