EAA, better than stock filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been clear on this. I know the EAA flows better than an OEM paper filter and filters better than a K&N style filter. But does the EAA offer superior filtration over an OEM filter?

Even though they don't make one for my TL, I can buy a cone one to put on the intake pipe, before it gets to the airbox. I wouldn't mind going with something way oversized for my car so that there's no additional restriction and use it as a pre-filter and hopefully even better filtration than OEM. Yes, I'm getting bored with the car again.

I wouldn't be surprised if EaAs filter better than some OEM filters. Honda, though? I have no idea, but I doubt it.

I think I can track down the video thingie on it. I was at the regional conference when they were introducing it. It's supposed to be finer than OEM and flow better. The serviceable feature is it's best ROI. Just don't beat it up.

You always get some "unofficial" cross talk at the conferences. The big filter guy said that the things will just about last forever ..but we won't make any money with them if we say that (if they published that). The thing is.. I don't know how much unofficial dialog is fact ..or disinformation that's relying on no one keeping their mouth shut ..like me.

They wouldn't even tell us who made the oil filters other than it varies with the part number.

That's what I thought I remembered hearing but after searching I couldn't find anything.

In true BITOG OCD form, what is your opinion of running a filter that's way oversized upstream from the paper element assuming it poses no additional restriction? Besides not necessary, I wonder if there would be any advantage say over the course of 300,000 miles?

I can't see any downside to it. It will add something at some CFM, but it will have to be in the fractional inches of water column. I don't know how it will do over 300k. It will, like most things, mean that it's in better health at 300k. The throttle body and valve haven't been sand blasted as much
21.gif

Diesels sometimes have a primary and secondary air filter.

I haven't found any bona fide W.C. readings that would be typical of the vacuum one should expect between the air filter and the air horn. I've seen what Donaldson shows for some air cleaners (w/filters) produce at given CFM levels, but I don't KNOW what would be considered normal.

The filter minder would appear to be a decent way of figuring if your filter setup was restrictive for the CFM you were operating at. It should almost act like a "PEAK HOLD" meter ..so to speak. It allegedly will rest at the peak vacuum level.

Heck, they even have a dash mount. filterminder.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back