E3 spark plugs : RC12YC : anyone use these ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

There is only so much you can do to the spark plug. And they are only a cog in the system that makes an engine work. Significant power gains will not be encountered by spark plug design.

They are not bad plugs, they are just not as great as they are made out to be. But then again, that's with like 99% of the aftermarket automotive products out there anyways.

I say...you can't lose, but you don't really gain either. Same with any other spark plug. Whether these are worth the price premium is up to you to decide.

I personally have used the Bosch IR Fusion (currently use), Bosch Platinum +2 and +4, NGK Iridium and Platinum, and Denso Iridium Power and Platinum spark plugs. All perform excellent in my cars I have installed them in. No noticeable difference in terms of power or fuel economy really. But they do come with a load of marketing. haha

I have a E3 in my genset only cuz I was in a hurry and thats what tractor supply had. Seems the same to me just more expensive.

I don't know if Champs have improved over the years but when I was still wrenching cars I avoided them as I had a number of them go dead for no reason and have customers come back after tune-ups with a dead cyl because the plug quit firing .

Hopefully Champ got on top of QC and fixed that .

I use it on my leaf blower, seems to be fine. The original Champion fouled up, this was the only replacement at the time. Would a Champion been fine? Probably. But I haven't had to replace the E3 as of yet, and fires up the first time.

I tried experimenting with different spark plugs in my youth. I didn't find any plug that was any better than standard NGKs and actually had a one I tried that was absolute junk (Autolite with side electrode).

Now it's NGK all the way.

Stay away from the expensive snake oil plugs.

Why pay more for the same spark? There's no advantage.

In applications where the plugs are difficult to change on certain automobiles, I'd use an NGK iridium or platinum because they're designed to last/work longer. Otherwise, the least expensive NGKs will be all you need.

I used E3 the past few years, and it worked fine. Now I'm using an NGK equivalent of the Champ RJ19LM. Starts much easier than the champ or E3 ever did. The autolite one I tried was terrible, it ran horrible on it.

Last year I grabbed an E3 because it's all they had that fit my mower at the time and I didn't feel like going everywhere to find a plug. The only thing I noticed was my push mower seemed to use less gas. I dunno that I'd chalk it up to the E3 or just being a new plug in general. Other than that its started up in 1 pull everytime like it did on the old plug.

NGK if you can find them for your engine.

I tried the 'easy start' plug (Champion?) in the snow blower.
Half way through the second season it failed; no start.
So when back to the basics.

E3=snake oil.

I used one in my old MTD 12hp lawn tractor. It appear to use less gas too.

I have repaired units that would not start only to find a brand new e3 in the head. e3 out ngk in = repaired. I don't care for resister spark plugs ether.

I put thes in my mower with a 22HP Intek. And they smoked the tires out the garage! I was riding wheelies across the yard! And fire was shooting 12 feet out the back!
No, seriously, these are snake oil plugs. Kind of like the Spitfire plugs. Go with NGK.

Another vote for gimmick.

Multi tip spark plugs can only help "delay" a fouling plug symptom and nothing else. Contrary to what many think. these multi-tip spark plugs can not overcome basic electrical theory in that the spark will take the path of least resistance. This means the spark will only travel to one tip end per spark cycle and not both. Anybody that notices an improvement with these types of plugs are just seeing the placebo effect of replacing a already worn plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Another vote for gimmick.

Multi tip spark plugs can only help "delay" a fouling plug symptom and nothing else. Contrary to what many think. these multi-tip spark plugs can not overcome basic electrical theory in that the spark will take the path of least resistance. This means the spark will only travel to one tip end per spark cycle and not both. Anybody that notices an improvement with these types of plugs are just seeing the placebo effect of replacing a already worn plug.

The same can be said for the liquid snake oils. It's amazing how people can either be mislead by promises of vastly improved performance then mislead themselves into believing it's actually happening.

The science isn't there to verify that any of the often mentioned fuel/oil additives work.

I used to use Stabil/MMO and SeaFoam thinking it might have some useful value. From years of using the stuff and after some side by side comparisons, I've come to the conclusion that they're nothing more than another way to access my wallet. Haven't bought any of them in years and I don't miss them at all.

I just fired up my six cylinder Honda Valkyrie that had sat unused and un-started since Nov. 1st. Put in a new battery, rolled it outside, turned on the fuel, took a few stabs of starter button and it came to life in less than a minute. Stored all winter with nothing but a full tank of E10 fuel with fuel run out of the carbs and fuel shut off. No additives. Been doing that ever since buying the machine and never a problem.

This thing has six carbs. You would think that if additives were so essential, I'd have at least one carb gum up or fail to operate due to "fuel issues". Not so. I took a reading on all six exhaust headers and all were hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back