Duramax filter change without oil all over the frame

wwillson

Staff member
I used my Oil Udder XL tonight as a pliable funnel to catch the oil running out of the filter on my Duramax. The filter is tilted up from parallel to the ground about 20° so it's very difficult to stop oil from running onto the frame and your arm while you loosen the filter. The XL is large enough to form a funnel that catches both the oil running out of the filter and the oil running off the back of the filter. You can see just a drip of oil running down the side of the funnel I made, much better than the pint of oil that normally gets all over everything. I'm a big fan, thanks @OIL_UDDER

20210623_213429258_iOS.jpg

edit: another picture that shows the area of the oil filter

20210627_215111918_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, it's a bit of a stupid design. I just use a trans filler funnel and poke a hole with a screw driver and a hammer in the bottom of the filter. Then use the funnel into a gallon jug and that works pretty clean. But honestly, the angled filter location and the front aluminum skid plate make for a messy oil filter change.

How do you keep that engine so clean!

How do you keep that engine so clean!
The truck has 2,500 miles on it...

I failed to mention that whoever tightens the filter at the factory should be required to remove the filter for whoever changes it the first time. I have a this filter tool

filtertool.jpg

and started with a 3/8" drive ratchet. There was no way I could the filter to move with the 3/8" drive. With a 1/2" drive ratchet it took all my strength to finally get the filter to move. Granted I wasn't in a great position to apply maximum torque laying on my back, but c'mon GM tightening filters this tight is just stupid. My last Duramax was the same way.

I use the largest channel locks that you can buy at HD or any other hardware store, I have yet to meet an over tightened filter that I can't remove.

P.S. I don't ever, ever use them to install a new filter...lol, 3/4 turn past firm contact works well. Says so on the side of a Fram filter, not that I use Fram filters. OK, I have used them in the past!

A CAT 2 micron fuel filter with a lift pump would be a nice insurance policy to help your CP3 pump, but I think the new trucks are on a CP4 high pressure pump now.

I use a 12 micron water separator, then 2 Kennedy lift pumps pushing fuel into a CAT 2 micron fuel filter. I still have the OE filter mounted to the right side of the cyl head. Triple fuel filter. The 12 micron/2 micron CAT is standard class 8 diesel set up. The fuel filter set up on the Dodge/Ford/GM are really inadequate to say the least.

A CAT 2 micron fuel filter with a lift pump would be a nice insurance policy to help your CP3 pump, but I think the new trucks are on a CP4 high pressure pump now.
Since 2017 the Duramax L5P has run the Denso HP4 with a lift pump in the tank.

Do you use an adapter for the CAT filter? Which CAT filter?

Do you think a large ziploc bag would work to catch the oil. I know it works on the gas engines where the filter mount is straight.

Do you think a large ziploc bag would work to catch the oil. I know it works on the gas engines where the filter mount is straight.
I've done that before a long time ago. The OilUdder works much better, as it holds it's shape.

Yes, I don't see why not unless its really hot oil.

Since 2017 the Duramax L5P has run the Denso HP4 with a lift pump in the tank.

Do you use an adapter for the CAT filter? Which CAT filter?

Well, since they finally realized the siphon feed high pressure fuel pumps could use just a little bit of help, maybe they have also added an extra inline fuel filter on the fuel line mounted to the frame like Ford did in 2003 I think. Its possible your currant lift pump may have enough to push thru a 2 micron filter. The lift pumps only run at 2.5 to 3 psi its the volume that matters. When you drop the hammer for extended periods of time the, well yours is an "HP4" the high pressure fuel pump "HP4" hits a point where it can only suck so much fluid thru the "Straw" by its self.

I have 2 lift pumps because of my filter set up, and my Truck has a pretty hot tune. 1 Kennedy is good for 2.5/3.0 P.S.I. 2 in line are good for, at least 5 P.S.I. When you tune the LB7 above 500HP its just starting to be time for 2 lift pumps to help the CP3 to fuel the common rail.

I think the bag might help somewhat. I may try that next time. I also have a Duramax and I have usually tried to reconfigure some aluminum foil or cardboard to contain some of the mess. I would not give high marks to the cardboard and aluminum foil idea. I like the oil udder idea but generally trying to resist buying tools that I will only use a couple times a year. I may have to look at that again. Do those ever go on sale?

I've used aluminum foil in similar situations. Get the "Heavy Duty" foil as It's thicker and retains it's shape much better than regular foil. You can tape it in place once formed correctly.

Here is the adaptor base for all class 8 diesel trucks, that is one of the other benefits, if you get a bad fill of fuel you can get these filters I going to post at any Flying J's, Pilot's, Loves.

Base Napa #4770
Water separator Napa #3439
2 Micron Cat Napa #3674
Style filter

IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2738.JPG

I just use a big sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and tuck it up under and around the filter housing. Zero oil gets on the frame.

Back