Duralube vs. Slick 50 True or Hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone got any info bout these Duralube and or Slick 50 I see on store shelfs such as Walmart.. Do they actually work? Or are they gimmicks? * I"m refering to the engine oil ones *

They are junk.......do a search and you will find what you are looking for, as they have been discussed several times.
smile.gif

thanx.. I did a search on dura lube and didn't find much.. but now I think of it.
pat.gif
I think I was lookin to the oil forum instead of here..
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
What?? You mean I can't run my engine with no oil in the crankcase after a Slick 50 treatment
shocked.gif
grin.gif

lol.gif

I remember that info-mercial.. so it seems like auto-rx and seafoam are my only choice being up in Canada.. however.. seaform I belive is more available without mail order in Canada.. unless someone can let me know otherwise..

the price of auto rx seems kinda steep especially when you convert to CAD.. Any Canadian have any ideas on what is good for engine cleaning? ( I alwyas see GUNK engine flush on the shelf but never tried it )

how exactly did they pull it off to run a car so long with no oil in it?

i tried that once with a lawnmower and couldnt get the thing to run for more than a few minutes at idle before it threw its rod.

You don't really believe the infomercial do you.
Besides when they were watering the bottom of the cranshaft they were infact cooling it and lubricating it to soom degree.

Drifter

If you have a really sludged up engine Auto-RX is the only way to go!

Just keep watching the Auto-RX site and every now and then they will have a special, kind helps take the bite off the exchange.

Always, always have them sent it via USPS, UPS are killers with the brokerage fees.

Steve

This reminds me of that prolong commercial where they drained the oil out of those cars including a Viper! and then go run it around in the desert heat. They probably stopped the camera at some point and dumped the oil back in it then go run it around.

Oh yea and that engine they ran for what was it?? 500 hours or something?? This is what I don't understand completely. A company comes out with this new product, hype up the public about it and then alittle later there getting lawsuits from the public saying there engines are seizing up. Take Zmax for instance, that stuff is supposed to be corrosive. Who in there right mind would formulate a corrosive product and then get the public to dump it in there engines when in face it does just the opposite of what it claims to do. I'm sorry but I cannot stand it when people make false claims and lie about there products, these people don't deserve to live! Ok I'm done,,,,,AR

SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS ANNOUNCES RESOLUTION OF FTC VS. OIL-CHEM LITIGATION

CONCORD, NC (March 20, 2003) - Oil-Chem Research Corp. (Oil-Chem) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (SMI) announced today a resolution to their dispute with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System.

"We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX," stated Marylaurel E. Wilks, vice president and general counsel of SMI.

zMAX soaks into metal,
zMAX reduces friction,
zMAX increases horsepower,
zMAX dissipates engine heat,
zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

This confirmation is specified in an exchange of letters with the Division of Enforcement of the FTC. Oil-Chem's letter lists the tests and other documents that substantiate the zMAX claims (provided by Oil-Chem to the FTC during the litigation), and the FTC responded that no compliance action would be merited as a result of Oil-Chem making such claims.

Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date. For more information visit zmax.com.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kragen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and ** 's Wholesale nationwide. zMAX became a part of Speedway Motorsports Inc in 1987.

Speedway Motorsports is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company owns and operates the following premiere facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Infineon Raceway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiary, and manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars through its 600 Racing subsidiary. The Company also owns Performance Racing Network which broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to more than 725 stations nationwide including XM Satellite and NASCAR.com, and Oil-Chem Research Corp., the manufacturer and distributor of zMAX. For more information, visit the Company's website at gospeedway.com.

The one thing that must always be remembered about any snake oil product is that thay really are very good at doing what they are designed to do.

What you must understand is that they are designed to part the consumer from his money.

And to do so, their advertising must seem to be very complelling.

When something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

SLICK 50:

Used to cost about $50, when it first came out...
We were "slickered" back then...and they will still do so today...
frown.gif

If it's on TV at 3:00am, or you can buy it at K-Mart---PASS!
grin.gif

About 5 or 6 years ago we did the Dura-Lube thing in our shop, with one of their guys there, using a SB Chevy. It went bang real quick. The guy left and we could not give the stuff away that he left. A year or so later we met someone from the company that was going on about how great the stuff is and that the no oil exercise is the 'real deal'. He had a Lexus in the parking lot and we tried to get him to do the test on his car.... he bailed out.

The safest way to go is to pick a good oil and filter and stand pat. The risk is just not worth it, no matter what anyone or any test or any reference says. If you have some more money, step up to a synthetic, and if you still have money to spend, try a by-pass filter....still more money, get your car detailed, pretty always runs better.

All i gotta say about duralube is i might try it but i sure as heck aint going to drain my oil and take a chance on throwing a rod on a perfectly good engine. I will rebuild the thing and save it for later use ive never tried the stuff and im not talking [censored] on it a guy i know and trust says it worked. But any additive is gonna work only to a certain degree they wouldnt of made engine oil if you didnt need it. If i dont see an engine run without oil right before my eyes and witness it which will never happen because im not gonna be the idiot to duralube it just to drain the oil and see if it throws a rod. Thats a cash for clunkers type thing have them try it and we can all witness it. Any engine has to be rebuilt at some point something is gonna give or break at some point i appologize im not very good at sentences i didnt go to school much as a kid all i did was work no school hardly i hope this helps you all on here i will try the duralube and see if it quietens the on lifter ticking in my engine and no slick 50 does not work i have used it and confirmed it has particles in it that can and will clog oil ports you can see under a microscope type thing you can try duralube but for the love of god please dont drain your oil even if they offer you a new engine i got more respect for an engine than to blow it up that is plumb ignorant if i had half the engines cash for clunkers blew up i would notneed an engine id have me a strong [censored] engine built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back