Ductless Range Hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering purchasing a ductless range hood .
Does anyone have any recommendations or reviews of how well they eliminate smoke and odors ?
I am not really doing heavy cooking on a daily basis but occasionally cook steak in a pan and it makes the house smell a bit much .

Last edited:
They're terrible at removing odors as the charcoal filter lasts about 5 minutes of use. It's a bad compromise if you can't remove smoke, odor, and moisture...but sometimes you have no choice. The filters can help with grease that is mixed with steam but that's about it.

When I sold appliances 5+ years ago the Broan QS line was one of the better ones.

Vent outside if it doesn't cost an arm and leg. I was quoted $10k to vent my hood outside. It was about 10 linear feet but after elbow it added up to well over 50'. I passed and just open windows or grill outside in the winter with a parka!

I tried indoor air filters in the past but did not have much luck . I figured the range hoods may have something special going on in the filter . I agree that charcoal filters help but don't eliminate the majority of odors when cooking .

We have a broan and it USELESS !

When we cook inside i try to turn the air exchanger on high to help remove smells and excess humidity .

Last edited:
They are worthless.

I love my over the range microwave that has a powervent.

They will coalesce some oil in filters that might wind up on surfaces - but not much more than that.
The last apartment we rented in the EU had one - and it sure did not prevent the smoke alarm from blowing your ears out.

We have one at the condo, pretty much worthless with smoke. Good enough to have on when cooking something steamy, but you're much better off opening the closest window and using a cheap window fan to suck the smoke out.

Originally Posted by LotI
The filters can help with grease that is mixed with steam but that's about it..

100% correct.

I don't see the point in a ductless range hood for any reason,
other than MAYBE moving some steam away from your eyes when cooking, but that is it.

I guessing the same may apply for those indoor smokeless grills .

If it sounds too good to be true.....

It would be a bit difficult to do it myself because the exterior work would have to be done on a ladder . I most likely would hire a pro to do it . Cost is a factor .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back