Dropping dead like flies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to school at Woomera Rocket Range in the desert. Now that's a dry heat. Can't stand humidity. Went to see my brothers family in the Top End (Darwin) and they must be mad to live in conditions like that. I spent a month at RAAF Darwin 6mths after Cyclone Tracy and found they have heaters in the wardrobes to stop your clothes falling apart from the humidity. Not for me

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
Guess the heat does not bother the Secretary of Transportation since she has a cushy job and plenty of air conditioning. I'm glad her job is a political appointment, she will be gone when the liberal governor we have is gone.

I'll be doing everything in my power to see that comes to pass!

Hang in there Rob!

The elderly keeling over from the heat: I wonder how many of these are the same people who claim that today's youth are "too soft" because of being used to air conditioning and other modern comfort items? I've heard that from a few old-timers over the years.

I learned to eat salt with my water, on hot sweaty days.

Covering windows on the outside helps a lot to keep heat out of your home, and it doesn't use electricity like a/c. People could hook on wooden shutters during the summer months.

whitewash, like greenhouses used to use?

This reminds me... I saw Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth, and noticed there was a scene where he was driving to visit the ranch where he grew up. Did anyone notice what kind of car he was driving?

Originally posted by obbop:
quote:

Pulling myself out of the canal I realized I had forgotten to remove my wallet. Oh no!!!!!!! Soggy smeared papers, etc. I knew it would be a mess so just left it in my pocket.

Made another pass then prepared for the canal jump. Took out the wallet. Hmmmmmm.... felt dry. Opened it up. Wow, money was dry. Dug deeper into the little pockets and discovered everything inside was dry as a bone. Not the slightest trace of dampness.

That's DRY heat. It sucks water out of everything!!!! We drank gallons of water daily yet never a drop of sweat. The water evaporated right from the body without a chance for a sweat drop to form.

Uggghhhhhh........

LMAO!!!
lol.gif

I was stuck in a C-130 at a undisclosed location several years ago. It was 118 degrees outside and probably 20 degrees more in the aircraft while we waited 30 minutes on the tarmac to take off. I never sweated so much in my life, but it wasn't too bad, it was a dry heat :)

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
Guess the heat does not bother the Secretary of Transportation since she has a cushy job and plenty of air conditioning. I'm glad her job is a political appointment, she will be gone when the liberal governor we have is gone.

Do you REALLY think that a conservative government would give the slightest care to your well being??

lib or conservative, they all are appointed to air conditioning and luxury.. and generally have much deeper pockets than you or I. Doesnt matter what side theyre on, in their offices they shout
"Back to the workhouse, you worthless swine!" and could care less if youre old, hot, have heatstroke, etc. If they get egg on their face for projects not working as planned - its your fault, suppposedly.

Good luck in the heat!

cheers.gif

JMH

quote:

(abbreviated....)

Made another pass then prepared for the canal jump. Took out the wallet. Hmmmmmm.... felt dry. Opened it up. Wow, money was dry. Dug deeper into the little pockets and discovered everything inside was dry as a bone. Not the slightest trace of dampness.

That's DRY heat. It sucks water out of everything!!!! We drank gallons of water daily yet never a drop of sweat. The water evaporated right from the body without a chance for a sweat drop to form.

Uggghhhhhh........

Just another day of doing a job some proclaim Americans won't do.

I do not know if that's dry heat or just plain raw heat. I have worked outdoors before in New Orleans summers, August-September. We used to drink water by the 1/2-Gallon bottle. But after downing 1/2-Gallon, I still could not *** out a single drop of ***.

I can only guess that all that water went straight out my skin faster than I could drink it in.

But it was a scary experience. The doctors tell me kidney failure is not too far off when that happens......when you can't ***.

quote:

(abbreviated....)

Uggghhhhhh........

Just another day of doing a job some proclaim Americans won't do.

I do not know if that's dry heat or just plain raw heat. I have worked outdoors before in New Orleans summers, August-September. We used to drink water by the 1/2-Gallon bottle. But after downing 1/2-Gallon, I still could not *** out a single drop of ***.

I can only guess that all that water went straight out my skin faster than I could drink it in.

But it was a scary experience. The doctors tell me kidney failure is not too far off when that happens......when you can't ***.

Flimflam, I too worked outdoors in NO heat for most of a decade. I delivered packages (big and small) for Purloator Courier, a precursor of Federal Express. Only FedEx, when they set up, got smart and put A/C in the vans. Their couriers bounded into customers' offices on the hottest days, looking crisp and sounding energetic. We Purolator losers dragged ourselves out of our trucks, and stood sweating and bedraggled while they put our package together. No wonder we were all snappish. Biggest favor they ever did me was to fire me!

Ever notice that it's the people who've never worked outdoors a day in their lives who rave, "Oh, I *love* summer"? Stick 'em outside in 95 F. with 55% humidity moving boxes for a day, and they'd sell their shriveled raisin souls to get back into the A/C.

-- Paul W.

quote:

Originally posted by Benzadmiral:

Ever notice that it's the people who've never worked outdoors a day in their lives who rave, "Oh, I *love* summer"? Stick 'em outside in 95 F. with 55% humidity moving boxes for a day, and they'd sell their shriveled raisin souls to get back into the A/C.

-- Paul W.

That's almost poetic.
cheers.gif

Thanks, XS650 . . . but I have to admit, the "shriveled raisin souls" phrase is from a novel of Stephen King's. It just seemed appropriate.

Having lived only in SE Louisiana where A/C has been mandatory for nearly everybody since at least the '60's, I always wonder why many people in places like NYC, St. Louis, SoCal, and much of the midwest apparently consider it an option. Heat waves inevitably come and "cooling centers" open much like hurricane shelters here. Small window units can be found for $100.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 9296D21B14:
Having lived only in SE Louisiana where A/C has been mandatory for nearly everybody since at least the '60's, I always wonder why many people in places like NYC, St. Louis, SoCal, and much of the midwest apparently consider it an option. . . .

Not only the midwest. When I lived in Denver, CO, which got up to 100 degrees during July and August -- dry, but super sunny -- there were loads of restaurants, stores, and even expensive homes that didn't have A/C. The evaporative "swamp" cooler just doesn't cut it if the area isn't as dry as, say, Albuquerque. But Denverites seemed to think of A/C as Some Newfangled Fad from Back East.

Exasperating, especially when you hear "Ah, y' don't need air in Colorado!" for the 40th time.

-- Paul W.

I work at a roofing manufacturing facility. I have to go outside to cool off! Needless to say, the summer heat doesn't bother me.

I've always been that way though. I hate winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back