Driving a lot for Work

The break-even point is 1,750 miles. Anything over that and option 1 pays more, under and option 2 pays more. If you want to maximize your earnings you would have to keep it between 1,300 - 1,750 miles/month.

My wife used to do 30k+ miles a year for her job. All I can say is, save that money. You'll be doing a lot of maintenance and buying a new car every 5 years.
Naah. My father-in-law has done this for years now. He has had his current car for 5 years and it's still fine. He'll have it another year and a half. (He's retiring then.)

I agree with the company vehicle. Their vehicle. Their problem.

$.65 a mile. 2000 miles. Take taxes out (approx 30%). That’s like $230 a week for your vehicle and it’s gas.
Pretty sure you don't pay taxes on most of that mileage reimbursement. (IRS allows 58.5 cents/mile, so you'd pay taxes on 6.5 cents/mile.)

Well, I'm probably a few pounds overweight yet have no desire to regularly drive SUVs and pickup trucks. Maybe I should amend "Now if you have back problems, you may be more sensitive." to, Now if you have back problems or are obese, you may be more sensitive.
I work with a guy that is 6'8", about 370lbs...18EEE boots, 38" inseam, easily 4' at the shoulders. He physically COULD NOT ride in his wife's old Corolla in any way except sideways in the back seat. He can't drive his wife's Focus wearing boots. He's cramped even in his son's 300. (He drives a Ram 2500.) His brother has 2" and 60lbs of muscle on him. (He's a bricklayer and drives an Econoline.) I have a long torso and short legs...I'm brushing the headliner on many cars.

I would add to the other recommendations a high quality radio/entertainment system that is straightforward to use.

All the talk about how much money you’ll “bank” could be realized but I would not rely on it. If the AC goes out or suspension needs big work you’ll eat into it quickly. There’s a reason that the reimbursement rate is what it is 😎😎
My father in law has NEVER pocketed less than a third of the reimbursement rate, even figuring 100% depreciation. (His last work car was a $350 trade-in that I'm sure went to a scrapyard.) Currently just under 150K on his Mirage.

Naah. My father-in-law has done this for years now. He has had his current car for 5 years and it's still fine. He'll have it another year and a half. (He's retiring then.)
You're right, it's definitely possible to go longer. However, I didn't want my wife calling me from the side of the road 2 states away because her car broke down. We were buying her a car every 200k miles.

You're right, it's definitely possible to go longer. However, I didn't want my wife calling me from the side of the road 2 states away because her car broke down. We were buying her a car every 200k miles.
He went longer...he retired his Jetta due to rust with 380,000 miles.

Back