Drink Heavily and Everything Will be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/business/economy/21markets.html?_r=1&hp

Fears that the country’s largest banks could be nationalized swamped Wall Street on Friday, pummeling stock markets and sending financial shares sharply lower. Bank of America fell near $3 a share, and Citigroup fell below $2.

The financial sector fell 7 percent overall while Bank of America, Citigroup and Wells Fargo all fell by 20 percent or more. Troubled regional banks were hammered as well, with of Ohio-based Fifth Third Bancorp flirting with $1 a share.

And analyst said that worries are likely to keep growing absent a step-by-step plan from the government that addresses the billions of troubled mortgage-related assets on banks’ balance sheets.

“All these banks are becoming insolvent,” said David Kovacs, chief investment officer of quantitative strategies at Turner Investment Partners. “These banks are undercapitalized. What they have on their balance sheets is bad debt. They don’t have the cash to lend. There is no solution, and time is hurting these entities.”

Markets in Asia and Europe closed lower on more glum economic data and a round of disappointing corporate news, including the bankruptcy filing of the automaker, Saab. The FTSE 100 in London fell 3.2 percent while the DAX in Frankfurt slid 4.8 percent. The CAC 40 in Paris fell 4.2 percent.

The Labor Department reported that consumer prices had increased 0.3 percent in January, rising for the first time since July. The increase eased fears that the American economy was heading into a deflationary spiral of lower prices and lower economic growth, but consumer prices remained flat year-over-year, a sign of continuing pressure on prices as the recession deepens.

WT_??! Is the NYT just making it up as they go along? According to Frontline aired this week, the US treasury is already a major stakeholder in the each of the major banks since the forced capital infusion of those banks by Paulson and Bernake, to buy exactly those assets that these 'analysts' are speaking of, not to mention the couple of $T that the Fed has injected into the system in the past few months in monetarizing this debt. No, the markets fell on the news of the passage of the porkulus bill. Is it because the market believes that the only thing the bill signed by the president this week will stimulate is the government itself? Or maybe investment houses are actually signaling their displeasure with the choice of the new Treasury secretary?
The news of the increased unemployment is no surprise to anyone, should be least of all to Wall street.
This story looks more like a red herring and something smells really fishy, and I would start with Kovacs and the activities of Turner Investments.
Like Craig Ferguson said,"It's a story from the NYT, so it must be at least partially true, right?"

I guess I'll start putting my cash under my mattress, just like my Grandfather use to do.....don't you just long for the good ol' days????

The government is the largest holder of BoA but it's still only 6%. The liability of the financial sector is huge, and grows as the economy keeps sinking.

The concentration of wealth is continuing, and taxpayers are covering the gambling losses as they don't have the political or economic power to do otherwise.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/16/business/16merrill.php

The second lifeline brings the government's total stake in Bank of America to $45 billion and makes it the bank's largest shareholder, with a stake of about 6 percent.

The program is modeled after a larger one engineered to stabilize Citigroup as its stock price plummeted in late November, but it appears to have had limited success. Under the terms, Bank of America will be responsible for the first $10 billion in losses on a pool of $118 billion in illiquid assets, including residential and commercial real estate and corporate loans, and that will remain on its balance sheet.

The Treasury Department and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. will take on the next $10 billion in losses. The Fed will absorb 90 percent of any additional losses, with Bank of America responsible for the rest.

In exchange for the new support, Bank of America will give the government an additional $4 billion stake in preferred stock. It has also agreed to cut its quarterly dividend to a penny, from 32 cents, and accept more stringent restrictions on executive pay.

Well it seems Wall street would welcome this news, and in fact I think it already did when it was announced, a month ago.
It still seems to me that the NYT is still being a shill for the real crooks.

I was going to invest in a USA based maker of energy saving hardware, but it requires skilled labour for them to expand, and with a large entity competing against me for skilled labour using tax money, I have decided not to invest.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
... They don’t have the cash to lend...

So where did our TARP money go?

BUUUUUWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!

If the threat of nationalization was not out there the stock price would not matter. Once it got cheap enough people would start buying it. It only when the government starts meddling with rumors of nationalization that the price plummets.If you hold bank stock and you think the bank might be nationalized what can you do but sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back