Drill Bits

For metal, floor tiles and concrete - what is your favorite drill bit and does not become dull after a few uses.

Currently, looking at these but don't know which to choose.

Bosch
Diablo
Milwaukee

You're asking about 3 different applications. But each brand out there will do the job. I've never used Chinese (HF) bits if that's any help.
Ceramic (floor) tile and WALL tile are two different animals and require different bits.
My favorites are:
Metal, just about anything commonly available. I use a number set since it works for tapping holes as well as general drilling.
Floor tile, depends on the hardness...wall tile requires a glass drill bit to get through the glaze, and you might need a dremel tool to get started.
Concrete, Blue Point.

For hardened steel and stainless M42 cobalt, for hand drill use M35 cobalt they really improve battery run time, Viking are good, drill hog are close but cheaper. For sheet metal, aluminum and soft metals HSS bits are fine. For concrete and tile Hilti and Bosch. No Irwin or cheap Chicom stuff.

Unfortunately, most drill bits are made in China. So are the ones I have listed above.

The Hilti and Bosch masonry SDS series bits are made in Switzerland and Germany, the Viking are made in USA. Never buy Chicom drill bits, tap or dies.

Edit: some other USA made.

Back