Drawing the line between 3/8" and 1/2" sockets

Was looking at Williams USA socket sets and noticed they offer two options for deep 3/8" chrome sockets:

Option #1: 8MM-19MM
Option #2: 6MM-25MM

Upon seeing this, two thoughts came to mind:

1) Aside from using shallow 22MM and 24MM sockets for certain oil filter removal tools, I have never "needed" to have 3/8" sockets above 19MM. Generally speaking, fasteners with heads larger than 19MM will be removed with 1/2" drive tools anyway, so what's the point?

2) Similarly, I do not see a reason to use 3/8" drive to remove a 6MM or 7MM head fastener. That is 1/4" territory, IMO. Heck, even 8 and 9MM head fasteners are arguably better served by 1/4".

Thoughts?

I agree with chromed sockets, but suppose I could see it for impact sockets, if you have a modern 3/8" stubby cordless impact wrench. They're now capable of (arguably) 200+ ft lbs, so someone could use the same tool on both 25mm, and 6mm head fasteners.

I'm sure if there's lack of sales enough to justify production, they'll stop.

I agree with chromed sockets, but suppose I could see it for impact sockets, if you have a modern 3/8" stubby cordless impact wrench. They're now capable of (arguably) 200+ ft lbs, so someone could use the same tool on both 25mm, and 6mm head fasteners.

I'm sure if there's lack of sales enough to justify production, they'll stop.
I feel like some stuff exists because many mechanics and "car guys" like to buy stuff with a "Just in case" mentality. Not because a true need exists. I'm personally guilty.

Also, I don't think any stubby cordless 3/8 comes close to offering 200 ft-lbs in torque. Maybe 100 ft-lbs on a good day.

2) Similarly, I do not see a reason to use 3/8" drive to remove a 6MM or 7MM head fastener. That is 1/4" territory, IMO. Heck, even 8 and 9MM head fasteners are arguably better served by 1/4".

Removing such small fasteners with a 3/8" drive ratchet is not a problem. The problem is that a 3/8" drive ratchet is long enough that you can easily over torque those fasteners, even to the point of breaking the head right off.

Was looking at Williams USA socket sets and noticed they offer two options for deep 3/8" chrome sockets:

Option #1: 8MM-19MM
Option #2: 6MM-25MM

Upon seeing this, two thoughts came to mind:

1) Aside from using shallow 22MM and 24MM sockets for certain oil filter removal tools, I have never "needed" to have 3/8" sockets above 19MM. Generally speaking, fasteners with heads larger than 19MM will be removed with 1/2" drive tools anyway, so what's the point?

Thoughts?
I agree, i really don't use 1/4 inch much above 12mm. 3/8 really never over 19mm. 1/2 i dont use under 13mm except maybe impact.

Is part of the "logic" that you don't have to have multiple ratchets out ? Not saying it makes sense in reality.

I feel like some stuff exists because many mechanics and "car guys" like to buy stuff with a "Just in case" mentality. Not because a true need exists. I'm personally guilty.

Also, I don't think any stubby cordless 3/8 comes close to offering 200 ft-lbs in torque. Maybe 100 ft-lbs on a good day.

I'm guilty as well.....AND that situation always seems to arise when you just can't find the "right" tool!!

Space on the 3/8 vs 1/2. There are times where even with a larger headed fastener the smaller 3/8 socket and ratchet combo will fit in a place 1/2 wont. Also times where tightening a fastener with those head sizes is easier/falls more in line with a 3/8 torque wrench than 1/2. I do definitely use 21, 22 and 24 in 3/8. 8 & 9 come in handy as well from time to time

Well, there is that 32mm shallow socket that's 3/8, used for the oil filter cap on certain GM Ecotecs, but that's about it. Torque is 25 Nm or 18 lb ft.

That same size nut also appears on the Honda R18 (possibly R20 too) underneath the ignition coil, if there is ever a need to remove it, doesn't take too much torque.

Another case is if most of the job requires bigger nuts/bolts you'd use a 1/2 for, but 1 or two smaller sized ones where you'd normally use 3/8 but I would just use 1/2 to only use one driver instead of two different ones.

I may be guilty too, but I don't FEEL guilty.

Too many times I've swapped ratchets and sockets to get "just the right" combination of reach and clearance. Within a minute, the job continues. Too many times a 1/4 socket drive suddenly is missing, but I have it in 3/8, and/or in impact, or midi. Within a minute, the job continues.

So don't feel guilty at all for having overlaps, duplicates, etc. as long as the job gets done. I'll find that missing socket later, or order another one, when the vehicle is no longer broken.

I too really appreciate having 21 and 22mm in 3/8" drive.

I specifically bought a 15mm in 1/4" after a specific situation on an '02 Trailblazer.

I actually like having 10mm in 1/2" drive if I'm tearing down a vehicle and don't care if bolts snap. Sometimes the 1/2" gun is what I'm holding, soooo....

I’d agree. I have a stubby Milwaukee and it really isn’t that strong.

I prefer to wrench with as small of sockets as is possible. This often means 1/4” where possible, 3/8” most of the time. When it’s a large fastener with lots of free space, 1/2 is fine, sometimes necessary. For bare bones I think a 6 or 8-19 is more than fine for 3/8, but the others can be useful for smaller, lighter sockets. Nothing wrong with the bigger space if you have the room.

Back