drain interval with mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys, im on my first interval with the new mobil 1 0w20, i changed it at 10000 mi in my honda ex 5spd. how many miles can i go on this oil without doing a filter change? I was thinking 7500, but im still unsure. In my manual its 5000 for severe, and 10000 for normal.

thanks,

Aaron

You shouldn't have to change the filter early, I wouldn't think. If a 10k interval is appropriate for the oil for your driving conditions then the filter should last that long. My 2002 Acura manual recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so Honda thinks a filter can go 20,000 miles in my car for a normal service driver.

Personally- I would change oil and filter out at no more than 6K miles. I would do an analysis at that time and go from there. If my driving was "normal" (which no one's ever is) I would shoot maybe for 8K oil and filter change thereafter. The only filter I would be comfortable for that distance would be K&N. Without K&N I would change midway through the cycle.

I think your initial stretch of 7500 miles is to optimistic consdering the 20 wt oil-not enough experience with this oil. I'm very conservative though.

Aaron,

I'd probably test it after 6000 miles/6 months,whichever came first. Additive chemistry and TBN look similiar to the other Mobil 1 formulations, so it should hold up about the same.

TooSlick

I think 6K sounds about right. I use Castrol GTX 5w20 in my Ranger and 3K is the longest I will leave that in so 6K sounds good for a full syn.

honda guy,

if the manual says 10k, and the mobil1 meets the honda spec, go for 10k with an analysis done at 10k, if you are worried. honda is pretty conservative on their change recomendations (my insight still carries the 3500 mile severe service recomendation, and that's what my lifetime oil changes at the dealer i bought it from are done at and boy are they going to regret that sales gimick before its over), and they know their engines better than any other manufacturer,IMHO.

if the mobil1 doesn't meet the honda spec, drain it out now, even if you have to tow it to the dealer. the honda 0w-20 is the only oil that is imported from japan that my dealer has, and i would guess that makes it a little special.

I wouldn't go over 6,000 miles on any oil without analysis. OK, maybe as far as 7,500 miles with red Line.
wink.gif

The manual is a very good general use guide ... but just a guide for the average motorist. I don't consider it scripture.

And Honda/Acura doesn't want your engine to last much past 100,000 miles.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

well i have the bosch premium oil filter on, i have about 1500 mi on the oil, and im getting excellent gas mileage from 35-37 mpg on an ex 5 spd. does 6,000 sound good for the first interval?

quote:

I'd probably test it after 6000 miles/6 months,whichever came first. Additive chemistry and TBN look similiar to the other Mobil 1 formulations, so it should hold up about the same.

I would sample it at 6K also, just to be safe. If you take a look at Amsoil's 25k/1yr VOA of 10w-30, you won't see anything that it has that allows it to be more of an extended drain oil then M1 SS. That being said, the 0w-20 might be good for extened drains but for now just play it safe.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back