Dr Elon Mr Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Management via "reign of terror" is not that uncommon. The aviation industry had/still has, it's share of wildly wacky leaders. Unfortunately, the term "psychopathy" is one that fits a large number of successful business leaders. Leaders with a high degree of psychopathic tendencies tend to clearly understand what tactics (typically ones that involve emotions) motivates others and they use that skill to achieve great things. The movie industry has led us to believe that the psychopath is an evil killer. That's just not so. The typical business psychopath is simply devoid of minor emotions and empathy. They use this skillfully.

Musk's statement that he "really must fire someone today" , is one way of keeping pressure on capable employees. That style of management works for a while and is especially effective when a project deadline is looming. Eventually, employees will push back. If the leader fails to recognize when to back off, that's when corporate troubles start. The reward needs to be as viable as the firing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...psychopathy-and-leadership/#3c367bf14104

The $35K Model 3 has not been released.
Musk has said he expects to release the entry level car in a few months.
That's my understanding.
Check out the 60 Minutes interview from 2 weeks ago.

The Model 3 is one big hunk of technology.

We test drove a RWD Model 3 last Sunday, put down the $2500 on my Costco card, car was delivered to our door Thursday morning.
Took advantage of the $7500 Federal Tax Credit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
That's my understanding.

We test drove a RWD Model 3 last Sunday, put down the $2500 on my Costco card, car was delivered to our door Thursday morning.

So there's a stripped version to be released later? What did yours cost if you don't mind me asking?

As someone who lived through the the Stalin's terror waves told me they all would be awake at 4 am, listening to the steps outside, hoping that the knocks come to the next door, not theirs. And the Permanenet Terror theory was very well implemented at the huge cost not only in human lives, but also in sanity of those who survived.

"For me, the fact that we were able to build at scale, amid all that craziness, that's the real accomplishment," one former engineering executive told me. "Just think about it: We designed a car that is so simple and elegant you can build it in a tent. You can build it when your CEO is melting down. You can build it when everyone is quitting or getting fired. That's a real accomplishment. That's amazing."

Working at a public company with ever increasing and continuous demand for growth being the only thing the investors and wall street expect and tolerate - extracts a heavy toll.

Thats how this works - everything gets harder faster and tougher - not the other way around.

If you aren't or can't hack it its time to work at a private company where these demands may or may not be implemented.

UD

Quote from article:
"as one former executive put it, "everyone in Tesla is in an abusive relationship with Elon."

That's why they get paid the BIG $$$$$$.

It's best to work for that jerk Musk for a few years and move on. Strictly business, do your job and collect a check.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
That's my understanding.

So there's a stripped version to be released later? What did yours cost if you don't mind me asking?

Everything you could ask and more...
New Model 3

You can go to Tesla.com and configure one with 10 clicks or less...
I will be curious as to how they build a $35K car. Something's gotta give.
A shorter range will not be popular.
The current car is certainly Lexus quality in terms of paint, materials, fit and finish.

Last edited:
Electric Genie. Barbara Eden would not approve these cars. Tesla made it. 35k wet dream.

Musk can go ahead and fire his employees at will but the truth of the matter is, he should point the finger at himself. He horribly mismanaged Tesla to near extinction. First off, he should NOT even have a car factory....there are plenty out there. Supply the engineering and build on contract. Tesla excels at design and engineering of electric cars.....GM and Ford excel at building cars. Secondly, the Model X should of NEVER been built. It was a disaster and sold few. The quicker they can get to large voIumes of the Model 3, the better. don't think Tesla will last long term but who knows for sure.

They (Tesla) bought/leased an abandoned GM/Toyota plant (NUMI). Yeah GM is making a few more available soon - let's partner with them ...

The Giga factory is 1/3 complete and already the biggest battery plant around. When fully at scale, it will dwarf #2 by orders of magnitude. The cars are planned to be a minor use of the production. He wants to build grid scale battery storage to take the peak demand off "peaking plants" which tend to be the dirtiest ...

A town with 1,000 Power Walls and roof-top solar equals a MW plant for the surrounding area.

Point being there are disruptive technologies being born here (Tesla/Cali), and we do not know what the end result looks like ... Too hazy yet to really see the future. May be like pre/post iPhone ...

But taking it from the SF Bay Area millennial's - car sales are pretty much dead. They are getting by on eBikes, Uber, Lyft, and occasional car rental when they want to go somewhere that public transport does not serve. Vehicle ownership is on the decline among this population ... It may be a sign of the future ... They are not BITOG'ers
frown.gif

An interesting small start-up is EV4U located in the paddock area at Leguna Seca. They are in the business of designing (or helping you design) an EV conversion for an existing vehicle. 300 HP 1954 Chevy EV coupe anyone
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The promise of self driving EVs in every garage is marketing the future as we see it from today as a sort of Utopia.

If electric self driving cars ARE the future, they won't be in your garage, won't be getting charged by your employer while you sit at the office, and won't be in high rise centralised car parks, nor parked at the side of the road.

These spaces will be better utilised then storing an item that gets actually used maybe 5% of any given day.

The vehicles will be ubered, self driving, at your door step when it's your normal time to go to work.

There won't BE cheap, off peak overnight electricity, that goes out the window with solar renewables.

There won't be a need for 5,000 cars in a week, as they will be fleets of vehicles that actually get to wear out...think electric, autonomous London black taxis.

We have Lime scooters in Auckland now, and hire by the hour cars. One of my sons lives in Wellington, currently in the central city (just bought a house) and don't use a car - there are hire by the hour electric cars...like the scooter, on your phone app - use and leave. As Shannow says, that's where are are going with the electric stuff.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
They (Tesla) bought/leased an abandoned GM/Toyota plant (NUMI). Yeah GM is making a few more available soon - let's partner with them ...

The Giga factory is 1/3 complete and already the biggest battery plant around. When fully at scale, it will dwarf #2 by orders of magnitude. The cars are planned to be a minor use of the production. He wants to build grid scale battery storage to take the peak demand off "peaking plants" which tend to be the dirtiest ...

A town with 1,000 Power Walls and roof-top solar equals a MW plant for the surrounding area.

Point being there are disruptive technologies being born here (Tesla/Cali), and we do not know what the end result looks like ... Too hazy yet to really see the future. May be like pre/post iPhone ...

But taking it from the SF Bay Area millennial's - car sales are pretty much dead. They are getting by on eBikes, Uber, Lyft, and occasional car rental when they want to go somewhere that public transport does not serve. Vehicle ownership is on the decline among this population ... It may be a sign of the future ... They are not BITOG'ers
frown.gif

An interesting small start-up is EV4U located in the paddock area at Leguna Seca. They are in the business of designing (or helping you design) an EV conversion for an existing vehicle. 300 HP 1954 Chevy EV coupe anyone
laugh.gif

I was not suggesting "partnering" with anyone. I was talking about contracting out the parts of car manufacturing to companies such as GM or Ford or anyone else with that experience. It's pretty clear much of Tesla's energy has been spent on the actual building of his car.....the stuff that has been done since 1908. Elon's value added is in the concept and design of the batteries and electric portions of his car as well as the vision of what Tesla will become. Tesla's head start has been squandered and competitors are nipping at his heels. And just for the record, Tesla hardly has disrupted anything, solar panels, lithium batteries and electric motors have existed for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back