Double Booting CV Joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be picking up some factory style Grand Cherokee CV axle shafts for my Jeep. New Carquest, not regrinds.

Yes I know these are weaker than the factory style U Joint Shaft. I use Spicer 5-760 joints in mine, so they are about as strong as they are going to be without going to Chromoly shafts or RCVs --- neither of which a Dana 30 or this Jeep are worth.

I'm going on a mud run. The Spicer Joints have not let me down. However, there's going to be a lot of foot to the floor action with the steering wheel cranked tightly in either direction. ANY U joint will bind.

I have seen it happen a lot where someone will pop an axle shaft U joint and then pop the ball joints and knuckle off. I want to avoid that. I also want to avoid blowing the Dana 30 to bits.

A few friends of mine have switched to factory style CV shafts and have not had any problems. Other than torn boots. Even with bigger tires and a heavier foot they seem to work pretty well.

These are going to perform two functions. First is - if they explode, I can still drive it off the trail and I won't lose any ball joints. Seconds, they are a fuse for the differential. I'm pretty confident in the differential while rock crawling or slow speed stuff. But mud just destroys.

The real Achilles heel on these is the boots tearing from twigs. I'm thinking that if I double boot them or triple boot them, I will have an extra layer of protection or two.

I will be towing the Jeep to this event. Last year i towed a beater Jeep to the event and had a lot of fun beating the living daylights out of the thing.

Has anyone ever tried this?
Good idea? Bad idea?
Suggestions?

Here's a picture from last year with my beater wrangler:
4fdgih2.jpg

I do hope you are on private prosperity with permission. Mud holes like that are a major factor in public lands being closed. We have too much of that now. To many people, too little wild areas.

Have legal safe fun

Rod

I think double booting would work against you, as the friction between the two boots would cause it to wear against itself

I never thought about friction between the two. I will look at the composite boots.

Or just possibly use the lifetime warranty

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
I do hope you are on private prosperity with permission. Mud holes like that are a major factor in public lands being closed. We have too much of that now. To many people, too little wild areas.

Have legal safe fun

Rod

I only go off road on private land with permission or parks that allow it. Both clubs I'm a member of are part of tread lightly.

I have never had a problem with tearing boots. With 188k on my Jeep they have only been replaced once.
Now I am not mudding at all but this Jeep has been in lots of brush and off road situations. I think you will do okay with the stock boot setup. You might look here if you want some different boots. https://www.rcvperformance.com

Duct tape? Temporarily. Looks like a lot of fun. Tread lightly are great principles. Good for you!

Have legal safe fun

Rod

Who said anything about this? Demonizing law abiding off roaders? ****!

Look at Seal Savers. https://www.sealsavers.com/shop/cv-savers/

SealSaver_CV-2.jpg

Last edited:
RCV are nice but a single set is worth more than my Jeep, sadly. And they are so strong the fuse would be the differential itself.

Seal savers look perfect! Definitely what I'm looking for. I will take some measurements and contact them.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Have legal safe fun

Rod

Who said anything about this? Demonizing law abiding off roaders? ****!

Look at Seal Savers. https://www.sealsavers.com/shop/cv-savers/

SealSaver_CV-2.jpg

I never saw those before, they look like a great solution.

Well it took 5 months, but I did break one! I will admit, with these in the front I have been beating on the jeep harder than usual.

Was wheeling in the snow and was trying to get up over a berm. Just wasn't having any luck so I hit it with some speed. Enough speed that the front end came off the ground. When the front tires hit the ground and caught traction, the engine was still bouncing off the rev limiter.

Heard that telltale *snap* noise. No damage to the dana 30! Put in a new shaft and kept going. Pretty sure I would have grenaded the differential or at minimum popped the knuckle off.

Those seal savers don't look like a good permanent solution. At high speed there is going to be heat build up and rubbing from the double booting. I would only use that as a temporary solution when doing low speed + hardcore offroading.

The Jeep doesn't do too much highway driving any more haha. As soon as I get a trailer , it'll be off the road.

Its top speed right now is about 45 and the furthest I'll drive it without renting/borrowing a trailer is 20 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back