Dont take your Audi S4 to an instant oil lube shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You did oil changes for MB, BMW and Audi with a fluid extractor, correct ? Do you like to do oil change that way or getting under the car(after raised it up and put jack stands under it) to drain oil via drain plug ?

You know the answers to these questions.

I don't question the fact that having a dipstick tube makes things a lot easier for a DIY'er. What I'm saying is that we, who do our own oil changes are a tiny minority of German luxury make target car market. Most buyers/leasers of such cars just don't care how their oil change is done, just as long as they don't have to touch it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You know the answers to these questions.

I don't question the fact that having a dipstick tube makes things a lot easier for a DIY'er. What I'm saying is that we, who do our own oil changes are a tiny minority of German luxury make target car market. Most buyers/leasers of such cars just don't care how their oil change is done, just as long as they don't have to touch it.

I tend to agree with you, however I think it varies depending on the make. I would say that the Lexus, and Mercedes crowd are the least hands on owners, while BMW and Audi are more inclined to DIY.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: philipp10
One other issue to bring up....how does the dealer get to a $1442.00 bill for a refill of the transmission, an oil change and some plastic shroud on the bottom of the car.....haha....German cars suck!

You nailed it; I lie in bed wide awake most every night fervently wishing I had bought a four wheeled appliance...
crackmeup2.gif

and I doubt I'll be laying in my death bed wishing I had paid $1442 for an oil change, tranny fill and a piece of plastic either

and I doubt I'll be laying in my death bed wishing I had paid $1442 for an oil change, tranny fill and a piece of plastic either

Wow, it only took you six days to compose a clever response to my post- very well played!
That said, I suspect that the true reason for the delay was due to the fact that your garage is packed with exquisite automobiles- and you find it nearly impossible to tear yourself away from driving them...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The video is an engine with straight down drain plug so it is a clean drain. I saw a video of a BMW engine with horizontal drain plug, that one is a real mess because the oil shoot out more than 8-10" and splashed over some cross members. That video was posted here no more than 30-60 days ago. I will try to search for it and post it here later.

You did oil changes for MB, BMW and Audi with a fluid extractor, correct ? Do you like to do oil change that way or getting under the car(after raised it up and put jack stands under it) to drain oil via drain plug ?

I don't mind paying $100 or more for a fluid extractor to be able to do a clean oil change while standing up, especially for vehicles with top mount oil filter.

I always just drove the M5 up on the curb, got under there with the ratchet and opened the door on the underbelly pan, pulled the plug, slid back out and let it drain. Probably a lot faster than using an extractor. The biggest issue was hooking up the laptop and activating the kick solenoids to drain their oil, not getting the oil out of the engine.

The oil didn't drain out when you took the bolt off the pan? ..

What year was this M5?

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Wow, it only took you six days to compose a clever response to my post- very well played!
That said, I suspect that the true reason for the delay was due to the fact that your garage is packed with exquisite automobiles- and you find it nearly impossible to tear yourself away from driving them...

not mine, sorry. From your sig, not yours either. The point I STILL don't understand is, why, even if you had an "exquisite" automobile, does it cost so much to service? I could understand a low volume car like a Bentley, but an Audi? They make fairly large numbers of them. Its just a tranny fluid change, not setting off a rocket to the moon...lol

Last edited:
Well, mine don't cost that much to maintain; but then I use dealers and indies that provide excellent service at great prices.

I must say though, you do have a couple BWW;s there which I know are nice. I once test drove I believe was a 95 325. Loved the sound of the motor. It had a check engine light for the cooling which I had found was common in the era. Dealer refused to look into it so I walked.

The point I STILL don't understand is, why, even if you had an "exquisite" automobile, does it cost so much to service? I could understand a low volume car like a Bentley, but an Audi?

Brand new cars made by BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc are bought by people who have higher incomes than people who buy Chevy Cruze, Dodge Dart, Mitsubishi Mirage brand new, so they can get away with charging a much higher servicing rate for the high end brands that the low end brands can't get away with.

If you wanted to rake in the dough, you could open up a shop and undercut the dealers.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back