Dont take your Audi S4 to an instant oil lube shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I hope it all turns out ok...the shop is liable and on the hook for repairs..

I just want to point out, that I don't deny there are a number of
honest, competent shops out there, but the number of bad ones is far greater, for those that run honest, competent shops thank you
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
, for those that don't.....darn you....
crackmeup2.gif
cry.gif
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I added a link which contains the evidence in pictures

Here

vw vortex forums

Your link doesn't work. If this is true as to what happened, it's an expensive lesson learned. I have no idea why you thought a quick lube place would do a proper job on an Audi.

Next time do it yourself.

The OP was quoting something from another board, it wasn't his car.

Fixed URL:

VW Vortex fixed link

This is one of the worst stories yet.

It is also a testament of how convoluted the new vehicles have become in respect to simple maintenance .

It seems the days of simple oil changes with accessible spin-off filters and drain plugs are all but gone.

Add to that unskilled and untrained personnel.....

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us.

Merry Christmas

Mistakes happen all the time, it's because we're human, but the fact That the shop didnt realise their error and rectify FOC is unforgivable.

If for some reason you can't do a job yourself, find a shop that will let you watch them work - they're the ones who stand behind what they do 100%

Frankly this is the kind of story that OP should have kept to himself, but I guess narcissism and public shaming go together.

cptbarkey, are you saying that because he was foolish-cheap-lazy enough to take his Audi to a "Hire the stupidest, most worthless meth-heads and get financial incentives from the state" Lube he should suffer in shame all alone and not even warn his fellow BITOGers? Kira

Quote:

Honestly - This seems like one of those things that would be self evident.

I'm surprised they would even do it...

Originally Posted By: beanoil
VOMG! I only take my company car there. It's a lease, and has to have oil & filter every 7500. It's a comedy show every time I go. Half the time they can't figure out the Ford Transit hood opens with the key. Every time so far they do not know it takes a syn blend to meet Ford specs. And the upsells. Holy smoke, the air filter has 7500 on it, I do not need a new one every time. Hopeless....
You must have a Transit Connect, we had a few of those tiny wanna-be vans ourselves! I have a Transit 250 now, at 12K it's already had it's first rollback trip to the dealer, shift cable/linkage fell off! On the air filter, I just tell them not to bother even looking, half the time they don't put it back in correctly anyway.

You know, he got so upset about the oil change he didn't check to see if they botched the filter. (Yes, it's in the Groupon, ..."Plus, we'll perform a free maintenance check of fluids, bulbs, tires and wipers", as well as a chassis lube.

I've always had good luck with my local VIOC place. They've had the same people working there for years, and always greet me by name. I'm sure they get irritated with removing the under shroud that most vehicles have now. Its takes their time and you have to patient and careful to do it right. My new Civic has one that is a pain. I warned the manager about it when I pulled in. He personally took care of removing and replacing it. They also always remember I DO NOT want my air filter inspected, why open it up and let dirt in? Like anything else, there are good and bad places. I would be concerned about just going to one randomly that I didn't know, but I'm confident taking my Civics to this one. Have never had a single problem. I can't do it myself due to physical limitations. I don't know that I would have anything other than oil changes or bulb changes there though as they are overpriced and of course don't use OEM fluids or parts (I take Filtech Honda filters and they use those instead of the Purolator Valvoline ones.)

I would have gone through the roof in the OP's case. The tech flat out lying about cutting the shroud would have been my tipping point. I imagine he is out of a job now.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Quote:

Honestly - This seems like one of those things that would be self evident.

I'm surprised they would even do it...

I doubt they turn any car away unless they don't have the correct parts or oil. I routinely see Lexus, BMW, Audi and MB vehicles at the one I go to. This particular shop used by the OP seems like they have poorly trained employees.

Being frugal is OK as that's how you keep your wealth for yourself.

In this case frugal could have been catastrophic.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When one buys a complicated, high priced car.......

Maybe, but is the Audi so complicated and unfamiliar that one starts cutting pieces and cannot tell the difference between a transmission pan and an engine oil pan? When started doing maintenance and repairs on my Audi, I didn't start by hunting for a blowtorch or a sawsall or a set of tin snips.

Incidentally, the original post on the forum in question seems to have been nuked.

Are there any active links for the post? I'm doubtful of the story. Sounds like a tall tale to me. Its hard to imagine the Valvoline quicky change to do this plus the owner is extremely dense. He tells the story as a victim and yet he knows something is wrong the whole time.

I call bunk.

I, too, find it hard to believe that an oil change employee's first order of business was to immediately cut a hole in the belly pan. Presuming ignorance of the car, I wouldn't think he'd even know where to make the cut if the car just pulled in above his head.

And then, after that, he can't tell the difference between an engine oil sump drain plug and a transmission drain plug. These guys may not be future CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, but I bet my lunch money that they know how to find an oil sump drain plug.

Third, I find the claim that they overfilled the engine so much that it came roaring out of the fill hole a little comical. If this oil fill cap is on the cylinder head cover, as it is on most engines, I think you'd need to put about 20 quarts of oil into an engine to literally fill it with oil.

There are a lot of doubtful claims in this story.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I, too, find it hard to believe that an oil change employee's first order of business was to immediately cut a hole in the belly pan. Presuming ignorance of the car, I wouldn't think he'd even know where to make the cut if the car just pulled in above his head.

And then, after that, he can't tell the difference between an engine oil sump drain plug and a transmission drain plug. These guys may not be future CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, but I bet my lunch money that they know how to find an oil sump drain plug.

Third, I find the claim that they overfilled the engine so much that it came roaring out of the fill hole a little comical. If this oil fill cap is on the cylinder head cover, as it is on most engines, I think you'd need to put about 20 quarts of oil into an engine to literally fill it with oil.

There are a lot of doubtful claims in this story.

Hokiefyd ,
Now that you mentioned it, I thing you might be on to something, b s story .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back