Don't have an OLM ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone (I assume %99.9 of bitog members) knows that there so many variables involved and nothing (om oci, olm, olm calculator, etc.) can be exact!

Unless you put a real uoa meter under the hood ... I don't think that's practical either cuz those guys at Blackstone won't fit under the hood and you have to feed them
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Even then there are people who argue that uoa tests are useless!

Not useless but limitations need to be understood. Condemnation conditions such as soot or fuel dilution are not given, or are of limited accuracy in many UoAs. Laboratory testing and Analysis needs to be improved with the newer concerns.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I think everyone (I assume %99.9 of bitog members) knows that there so many variables involved and nothing (om oci, olm, olm calculator, etc.) can be exact!

Unless you put a real uoa meter under the hood ... I don't think that's practical either cuz those guys at Blackstone won't fit under the hood and you have to feed them
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Even then there are people who argue that uoa tests are useless!

None of my cars have olm. Curious if olms can get fancy and provide relatively accurate results.
For example the ECU knows the rpm, coolant temp, oil pres, oil temp?, trans temp (torque converter and pan), throttle position, oil sump capacity, type of engine (gdi vs pfi), # of cyl, engine size, hours operating, speed, intake air temp, ... on top of the above, I can also read %load, abs (absolute?) power and whole bunch of other stuff I usually ignore ...
Also the car knows when trailer is connected and towing also knows ambient temp and going uphill/down hill info (I think some cars have sensors for that) ...
If you are towing uphill in death valley in 120°F and ac on ... It can factor that in!
If the car lets you enter what kind of gas (octane) or oil you are using even basic info such as dino vs. synthetic ... it may be able to calculate the remaining life more accurately.

Last edited:
The merc systems back in the day were reputedly starting at 35,000km remaining life at oil change, then subtracted km, 1 for 1 in ideal conditions, and then with a multiplier...

My Colorado when I bought it had 4,600km on it, and had used 65% of the oil life (nominal 15,000km, would have pulled it up around 7,000km if the dealer continued to drive it...my diving style, that remaining 35% took the car our to over 10,000km. In my normal use, it comes out at 16,000km...and Holden say 1,000km over 0 is safe, provided within one calendar year.

Great info, thanks for sharing. Both methods have me happy I don't follow the blanket statement, that synthetic oil can go 10K miles, I'd be flirting with disaster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
According to the first posted method I should be changing my oil every 1660 miles. lol

If you were using the online calculator(which incorrectly assumes a linear relationship with any oil and TBN) the results are only given InThe first 4 digits.
It could be 16,600. If you have a high mpg low density engine with a larger sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back