Don’t buy the installation tool recommended by Rock Auto

I ordered an AC orifice tube from Rock Auto and was automatically offered an installation tool to go with it. Sounds reasonable. The clearance I had in the truck would preclude using normal needle nose pliers, so I ordered it. You would think they would give me the correct tool since I ordered both the orifice tube and the tool the same time. Nope. It was the wrong tool for that particular orifice tube.

So I went through their person-less return procedure on their website, all along wanting to say but-but-but. There was really no recourse. They split the blame 50-50 and all I could do was to select the pre-paid shipping label with a promise they would give me around half my money back.

The better procedure is to find the tool on Amazon and get it there.

Live and learn.

Here is a shot of the business end of the orifice tube aimed directly at the firewall. I couldn’t fit my needle nose pliers to grab it. Also is a shot of the wrong tool and the Four Seasons Orifice Tube. Rock Auto did not have a GM version available at the time. Enjoy.

6AF0642A-7807-4A64-B011-4D668EE1E512.jpeg
0F0C70F1-E7D8-4F27-AA52-CB9F1B06E2BB.jpeg

Reactions: JC1
How much was the tool?
This is why I use the free rental tool for this from the auto parts store.
It was about $25 USD. I’m in Cranbrook, in Canada and in this city of 25,000 we have Napa, Lordco, and Canadian Tire. None of them rent tools. The equipment rental shops don’t deal with small stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Back