Dont buy apple use linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really irked at the whole Apple vs Windows deal. Unfortunately for you mac people Mac are overpriced PC's. Apple uses BSD linux underneath "their" OSX throws a pretty Picture on it and then charges 300% more. I wish people on this forum would wake up and educate themselves. Since 2006 apple has used the same intel and Nvidia Products used on Dell's HP's ETC. This is evident when you can install Linux and Windows on a Mac. Apple isn't smart enough to use their own software. Newer versions of linux especially Mint Linux have many of the drivers for video etc pre-installed. Do yourself a favor, and quit buying into the whole apple Hype. Linux runs on more computers throughout the world, and doesn't lock you into ridiculous rules and what not.

+1 for linux. Mac is like $20 bottle of wine, that is $150 at restaurant
smile.gif

Hope Overkill will not argue here
smile.gif

I really liked Puppy linux. Good for older PCs, runs very fast from RAM.
If you like sado-mazo, buid Gentoo
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97prizm

I'm really irked at the whole Apple vs Windows deal. Unfortunately for you mac people Mac are overpriced PC's. Apple uses BSD linux underneath "their" OSX throws a pretty Picture on it and then charges 300% more. I wish people on this forum would wake up and educate themselves.

Where has linux come from? BSD userland and the kernel is from another project. Just educating myself..

Same rational could be said about cars. While I do want to mess around with their OS, i wouldnt buy a Mac for it. I do enjoy their I-Devices though. With Apple products your paying for an experience and a polished one at that. Every PC manufacturer is trying to copy them in some shape or form.

You get a solid hardware platform, granted it is run of the mill, but its controlled. Every year some spec changes but its not as varied as the PC side with AMD,Intel, with 4-5 year old configurations of varying quality upto current hardware ect and having to make a bevy of drivers and support changes with OS revisions(Windows). Apple drops hardware support routinely after a few OS revisions so as to not hold back innovation and hurt the experience.

Do I say this because I love Apple? No far from it, I say it because its truth. If you take something and make it better than the competition you can charge what you want

So yeah they can charge more, just like Lexus or Audi can for cars.

Last edited:
...Mac are overpriced PC's.

I disagree. It's like Anis said. Some people do not enjoy working on computers and are willing to pay a premium to avoid fooling with it. There is nothing wrong with that.

I HATE ironing shirts, even though I'm quite good at it. I gladly pay the dry cleaner a dollar to take my stinky dress shirt and make it clean and smooth.

I'm really irked at the whole Apple vs Windows deal.

Why are you irked about it? The whole "Apple vs Windows deal" is perpetuated by people who are angry at "the other side". Why is it not okay for two (or more) different computer systems to exist, with folks preferring to use one (or more) over others?

This is akin to Ford fans being angry at Chevy fans. There's just no need for it. It's not productive.

If you don't like Apple computers, don't buy Apple computers.

Who has time for this? I tried Linux and decided I would rather do something else. I bought windows 7 Ultimate and it gets the job done well.

Quoted the wrong thing lol.

Got in a huge debate with a buddy over the Iphone vs Android(Bionic, Thunderbolt etc).

It's all about preference luckily we have that option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
+1 for linux. Mac is like $20 bottle of wine, that is $150 at restaurant
smile.gif

Hope Overkill will not argue here
smile.gif

Argue what?

I'll say that OSX isn't Linux. It is BSD, which is a completely different project and a fork of the original BSD/UNIX project between Berkeley and AT&T.

However, it, like Linux is a free *nix variant. They are compatible with much of the same software, both usually run some variant of X with Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Blackbox....etc.

Apple took Free (or Net) BSD and created "Darwin". This was their own spin on the BSD project and where OSX came from.

However Apple is not the only company to have a price tag associated with a *nix variant. RHEL is a "paid-for" Linux distribution. But you pay for the service/support, not the actual software.

Regardless, I'm a fan of BSD moreso than I am of Linux. It was my first *nix. FreeBSD was my first OS outside of DOS. So I have a bit of a soft spot for it. And PC-BSD is to BSD as Ubuntu is to Linux. Easy to install and "go" with.

That being said, I have Fedora on my ThinkPad
grin.gif

As far as a Mac being expensive, we've hashed that out a few times over the last week or so in various threads. They are. But they aren't as expensive as you'd think they were at first glance.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm really irked at the whole Apple vs Windows deal.

Why are you irked about it? The whole "Apple vs Windows deal" is perpetuated by people who are angry at "the other side". Why is it not okay for two (or more) different computer systems to exist, with folks preferring to use one (or more) over others?

This is akin to Ford fans being angry at Chevy fans. There's just no need for it. It's not productive.

If you don't like Apple computers, don't buy Apple computers.

Agreed, if you don't like Macs, nobody's asking you to use them. No need to go bash the Mac users. It's like the Ford truck owners feeling the need to go call GMC truck owners inferior for driving overpriced Chevrolet trucks
grin.gif

I've used Windows and various flavors of Linux for years, and bought my first Mac this year. Can't say any one is better than another, they all have upsides and downsides.

I know my way around Linux, and I've even written some device drivers in Linux, but when my Canon all-in-one can only print and not scan, it's a tad annoying. Especially when I had to go use a printer driver for another model just to get it to print. Having to hunt around for the right Windows driver and play games with NDISwrapper to get the wireless card to work was a tad annoying as well. But it's free, it's nice being able to boot a live CD (try that with Windows!), and the live CD has come in handy a few times for fixing things or recovering files when Windows has problems.

I write Windows software, so yes, I still keep my Windows laptops around. The 6 year old Gateway has Windows XP, and the 1.5 year old Asus has Windows 7. Both are a tad annoying when you boot and within 5 minutes of booting you get messages saying you need to reboot. Windows 7 seems to get confused about whether it's really connected to my wireless network and take some time before it's really connected. When I log on, I still have to wait 10-15 seconds before I can actually do anything.

Being new to the Mac, there are things I like about it. Certainly it boots WAY faster than either of my laptops. Within 10 seconds of hitting the power switch on a cold boot, I can use it. Removing software without having remnants hanging around in the Windows registry is nice. Like the 27" screen, and the wireless mouse and keyboard are nice. On the other hand, I can't play Microsoft Flight Simulator on it. I had to find out about VLC just to watch .wmv files since Quicktime couldn't handle them. Overpriced? Maybe, but my most recent Windows machine could be called that too for as quirky as it is sometimes and for the lack of documentation and support.

Is the Mac perfect? No, I've found it gets flaky coming out of standby; I'll try to go to Yahoo and it takes me to Facebook instead occasionally, regardless of what browser I'm using. The Apple folks have no idea why it does that, but once I reboot it's fine. On the other hand, it's quiet, it boots rapidly, it's much more polite about updates than Windows, and I find it a lot less aggravating to use. It does everything I need it to do, I can run OpenOffice on it, do HTML editing to maintain a web page for the community theater I'm in, edit pictures, watch movies, and it works with my Canon printer 100%, along with the utilities for cleaning and aligning it.

So, I'll still never understand all the disdain for Apple users. I've heard people bash Linux users the same way. Linux users love to laugh at Windows users. Peace all!

I have been a Linux user for years but also use Windows a little. My main problem with Apple stuff is the problems they have had with manufacturing plants overseas.

I like Mac for their hardware and that would be the reason for me to get one. There is absolutely nothing on the market that can match Mac Book Air. And when I was looking for a laptop, it became painfully clear that while you have beautiful devices made by Apple, even the most elegant Windows machines are clunky and ugly in comparison.

The unfortunate thing is that I ended up buying a Windows machine primarily due to cost; I was not ready to pay the premium for elegance since I see computers as commodities and not an aesthetic value-add to my lifestyle.

The same goes for cell phones - I have a Samsung running Android and not an iPhone even though iPhone is a far superior piece of hardware. The functionality of Android just gets the job done but does not add any aesthetic.

Even if that's true, it's not a new thing. For years, the dirty little secret was Microsoft's Hotmail was hosted on Sun hardware running Sun's Solaris O/S.

Why? Windows couldn't keep up with the load. The point is, many times a company doesn't use their own product. That doesn't mean their intelligence is suspect.

After all, Oracle has not banished Windows in favor of Oracle Enterprise Linux and/or Solaris desk tops yet. I don't think they will either.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Here we go again.

Apple isn't smart enough to use their own software.

What?

I'm one of the ones that think their hardware is overpriced. However, I do like their products and would be happy to have one that was reduced price or free. It's a premium product with a premium pricetag, not unlike say BMW or Mercedes.

I run Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and Ubuntu 11.04 on my 3.5 year old laptop that I paid $525 for in 2008. It was the cheapest Intel dual-core they had at that time. I upgraded it to 4GB of RAM for $70 through Newegg. If I were to get a new one with the same stipulations, it could probably be had for $400 or under.

I think Apple's software is very good and I have considered building a Hackintosh before, I just have too many things to do outside of work, so it hasn't happened...yet.

I guess it could also be pointed out that, although their hardware is expensive, it's also usually pretty high-end on CPU specs compared to the cheaper Wintel stuff.

I do own an iPod, but it was given to me as a Christmas gift a few years back. I have it pretty much fully loaded with music
smile.gif

So yeah, overall, I don't really get the angst, buy and use what you like.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

So yeah, overall, I don't really get the angst, buy and use what you like.

+1

And that's that.....
cheers3.gif

Don't buy apple, use linux.

Let's rephrase that for both geek speak and customer speak:
don't buy an iPad, buy a Barnes & Noble Nook Color, then install Cyanogenmod 7 on it with an SDCard but make sure you use a class 4 or class 6 card, never a class 10 and expect certain things to absolutely not work and you'll have to go online and spend tons of hours of your time to possibly make them work, possibly not.

the OOBE for Mac & iOS devices (still weird to refer to Apple products as "iOS devices" uggh) is way easy compared to Linux, to the end user.

Unless a tech like myself sets up Linux for a person on their PC, and they don't need iTunes.

Been using various flavors of desktop linux for years. Didn't like the instability of Windows or the closed nature of OSX; I recommend OSX and Ubuntu for those who just want to use the internet but not "maintain" their computers with all sorts of special knowledge.

5 people I know now have macs, 4 running Ubuntu. None have purchased windows.

Full disclosure, I am a full time Unix admin, but none of the people who I know using Ubuntu have any computer expertise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back