Done with E Trailer - TERRIBLE Customer Service

I've long praised etrailer. Have steered a lot of people on the Internet and in person to them. They have always treated me well and I have always stuck by them even if they have higher prices.

I ordered 2 no name 10'' drums for my trailer. They were $54 a piece. I received one of the drum I ordered and a Dexter 6 lug drum (at a much higher cost to them). The price has since gone up to $83

I called today to try to get the right part. First, the lady to whom I spoke kept telling me that the part number I was giving her was not on my order ... yes, I know that. That is why I was calling. Then, I was told that the part I wanted was not available (yet still shows in stock at a $30 higher cost on their website), but I could wait two months to get the replacement or she would offer me free shipping on, but still charge me $100for a Dexter hub/drum and I would have to pay to ship the wrong one back to them in either case.

WHAT?!!?! Absolutely nuts that they are going to try to charge me more and upsell me to fix their mistake. I have built trailers, maintained trailers and put hitches on every vehicle I've ever had with items purchased through them.

Not any more! I'll never buy from them again or send any business their way.

Seems like in a period of economic downturn they would do their best to try to keep customers. Off to Amazon it is, to not support small businesses

I guess I just don't get it.

They substituted a more expensive option in to make up for the lack of availability if the no name part? Did they charge you for it? Would it have fit/worked?

They were going to charge me full price for the more expensive part. It would have cost me $100 out of pocket to fix their mistake. She offered "free shipping" which doesn't mean much, since it costs enough that it qualifies for their free shipping anyway. Really, she just tried to sell another part completely ignoring their mistake.

I would have been willing to eat the price difference between the two , but I'm not buying a more expensive product than I had originally intended ... just to fix their mistake.

So they sent the wrong part through a warehouse packing mistake, it sounds like.

Do a chargeback with your credit card and keep the wrong part unless they give you a free shipping label to return it.

You're allowed to keep "gifts" you don't order. It's up to you being nice to return those "gifts".

Word to the wise, chargebacks are going crazy now and the banks are really slow to respond. I had some mail-order shoes take 10 weeks, I started the process after 30 days, and it wasn't resolved by the time the shoes finally showed up.

Chargeback, explain the situation to your CC and that youre willing to return the part if they pay shipping, otherwise Id imagine youll win the case

That really sucks man. You shouldn't have to deal with that crap.

Well, I've known you for a while now on this forum and consider many here (despite never "meeting") friends.

I don't take experiences like this lightly. I'm going to be replacing the entire brake system on my Jeep/ATV/Firewood/Stuff trailer and I'm not even checking the prices on their site.
Screw that.

I'll let my friends know too, as most of them tow, haul or do something with trailers. If you have a chance to speak with them again, let them know your friends are aware of the poor service.

A guy has many good experiences then one poor one and it's time to burn them to the ground and tell everyone how bad they are. Might want to call back and see if you can talk to a different CSR then a supervisor if necessary. No it shouldn't be necessary but with many good experiences and one not good one wouldn't you think it might just be an anomaly? Below average customer service has become normal, a company you've been happy might be worth some extra effort.

No offense but if you explained it to her they way you explained it here its no wonder she got confused. I still don't get it 100%.

So was the 6 lug drum a fit? was is subbed in for being out of the cheaper one? Or was is not a fit and completely the wrong part?

Originally Posted by Trav
No offense but if you explained it to her they way you explained it here its no wonder she got confused. I still don't get it 100%.

Its pretty simple to understand. I ordered 5 lug brake drums for a 3500 pound axle. I received one of those and one 6 lug drum for a much larger axle and spindle.

Originally Posted by spasm3
So was the 6 lug drum a fit? was is subbed in for being out of the cheaper one? Or was is not a fit and completely the wrong part?

Not a fit at all. Wrong bolt pattern, way bigger drum ( wouldn't clear my 13" wheels) , and for a much bigger spindle

I would put it all in writing, including your past good history with them and the offer to pay the difference, and send them an email or snail mail. I have found having putting it on paper to be therapeutic for me and helps to make sure I have stated the facts clearly. Finally, it gives another person in what appears to be a good company a chance to make it right for a longtime customer......

Called them back again today. I am getting a refund for the wrong part they sent and I have to send the 6 lug drum back.

They still can't get me the one I originally bought until August. So I bought it on Amazon. Same thing, chinese brake drum with bearings installed (will clean them out). For the same price I originally paid at ETrailer. But it's 2 weeks out.

I will continue to use them but I will not be spreading praise for them.

Also forgot to mention that I built custom bike racks with cradles purchased from them too.

Back