Dollar store cables..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Here I was touting the greatness of dollar store USB, ethernet, printer, etc... cables until I purchased my new Lexmark X5470 printer! !@#$ I could not get the installation software to complete and was getting USB device errors. After about 2hrs of frustration, I figured I'd *try* a new cable. Ran to radio shaq for a USB printer cable. ~$30 later she works like a charm!
pat2.gif
Not sure why that high quality 5' dollar store special wouldn't work, but it didn't. $89 for the printer and $30 for a cable to get it to work.

Joel

A friend bought a wrench and a tape measure from the dollar store.

The wrench snapped during use.

The tape measure had only 3/4" between the 17 and 18" marking. It's a long story how we discovered that error
mad.gif

What kind of printer was it that didn't come with its own USB cable? I didn't know that they still made printers with serial connection.

Most printers you buy nowadays do not include a USB cable in order to keep costs down. They also do not have serial connections.

All the USB-capable printer's I've bought (Epsons and HPs) were not bundled with USB cables. They all had parallel connections too (not serial). My last purchase was a few years ago, though (HP DJ 940c); I wouldn't doubt if they've ditched the parallel port as well.

Quote:

Please tell me you didn't spend $30 on a USB cable.

Oh I did. It was about 4pm on 12/31/06. I had already foolishly wasted too much time on it, and there was no way I was rolling into the new year without verifying normal operations of that printer! Crazy I know, but I was on a mission.
crazy.gif
Yes, I have not seen a printer that came with a parallel port or a USB cable included in the box in years now.

Joel

6 months ago I bought a Lexmark printer that had the cable included. 1 month ago my company bought a printer just like the one I have and it did not include the cable.

A couple of years ago I bought a package of USB cables at Big Lots. Bubble pack, had the GE brand on it, & there were several- 5-6?- for about $5. Since I had just seen a single 6' USB cable at Best Buy for over $20
shocked.gif
, I bought the Big Lots version immediately!
grin.gif

I have one still in constant use, another is used occasionally, gave one to my brother, another to a friend, & still have one or two "on deck" somewhere. They all had different color translucent plastic sheaths/outer insulation, are ~6 feet long, & have all worked perfectly so far. Knock on wood!
cheers.gif

I love the "dollar" store. Got some super bright Led flashlights for like 4 dollars and they are $19 everywhere else. They work fine. I have bought USB cables with no issues from them. To me it is like xmas...lol. You can find some hidden treasures they are just selling for nothing cause they don't know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back