Dollar General SP oil

Yesterday I was in my local DG. Saw a woman pick up a qt of their brand oil. Wondering what specs that oil met or didn't meet, I picked up a qt and was surprised it was SP. 5-30 and 5-20. Didn't notice the price.

Their sister brand Dollar Tree sells half quarts for a buck. I think it was SN when I looked last week while picking up a drain pan.

Why would you be surprised ? Dollar General has become a huge retailer in the US (at least half of everything they sell - just by my observation - is the same name-brand products you would buy elsewhere) and if they're stocking engine oils, that means they sell engine oils. They can have a major oil blender produce for them just like auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.

They used to sell oils with old specs according to PIQA. And I wouldn't think they would move enough oil to have SP so soon.

They sell full synthetic Magnatec. If that's SP, then they sell SP. Their regular prices for oil are not good. They do have coupons that help.

Why would you be surprised ? Dollar General has become a huge retailer in the US (at least half of everything they sell - just by my observation - is the same name-brand products you would buy elsewhere) and if they're stocking engine oils, that means they sell engine oils. They can have a major oil blender produce for them just like auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.

I believe Warren Distribution makes the Dollar general oil... It is a good oil.

Their sales can be ok... Valvoline maxlife for $3.49 a quart is not too bad for a regular every day sale.

If you need it in a pinch, it is nice to have. I was amazed our local one even had 0w20 oil.....

And I wouldn't think they would move enough oil to have SP so soon.
I bet they will. They don't make this oil.... They buy it from someone that blends oil and that blender is most likely to transition, if they haven't already, to the latest specs and DG will just get it by default. The DG near me sells Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, and more oils. They also sell a few different ATFs, brake fluid, and so on.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah.. Valvoline maxlife is on sale for $3.50 a quart this week.

They have Peak antifreeze at a not all too bad of a price. Gumout is there too at a ok price.

And Warren Distribution makes the DG oil in my area stores. Probably the same exact oil that is at Federated Auto parts in my area. Just a different label.

Was just in our local DG today and looked at the oil selection (again). Only looked at the DG-branded stuff and it was all either API SP or SN+. The variation looked to be based on the viscosity. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the SN+ will be gone. I did see 5W-30 regular (??), high-mileage, and "full synthetic" that was definitely API SP. Cost was about $5/quart which is typical for quart pricing no matter the brand. I never buy single quarts myself, just look at the price per quart and shake my head.... Even if I had an oil burner, I'd be more likely to buy a 5-quart bottle knowing I'd go through it and save a lot of money on oil.

Their sister brand Dollar Tree sells half quarts for a buck. I think it was SN when I looked last week while picking up a drain pan.
i picked up a “just in case” quart of dollar tree oil to keep in my yaris emergency kit. does anyone know what it is? i assume that it’s pemex from mexico only because many other perfectly okay dollar tree products are sourced in the lower cost third world.

Back