Doing yard work in this "heat wave"

We have had a heat advisory for the past two days. A neighboring town had a heat index of 120 yesterday! Anyways, I gave the plants a good fertilizing and watering earlier today. Now it's time to mow the grass. Wish me luck!

We have had a heat advisory for the past two days. A neighboring town had a heat index of 120 yesterday! Anyways, I gave the plants a good fertilizing and watering earlier today. Now it's time to mow the grass. Wish me luck!
I see you're in FL. I remember those heat wave days when I lived in Tampa.
Family members asked me if it ever gets cold there. I said yes, winter is about 2-3 weeks every year. ;)
When the temperature would drop below 70* in Tampa, the locals would break out the winter jackets. :D

I see you're in FL. I remember those heat wave days when I lived in Tampa.
Family members asked me if it ever gets cold there. I said yes, winter is about 2-3 weeks every year. ;)
When the temperature would drop below 70* in Tampa, the locals would break out the winter jackets. :D
Yes, anything below 70 and you see people here bundling up. I on the other hand, love the cold...well, Florida cold. Ready for the fall!

I’m glad I don’t have to do yard work anymore since I work again. My dad takes care of that lol. Way too hot for me and I’m usually so worn out that I don’t even want to do anything but go to bed when I get home. It’s been in the 90s here the past week and it’s killing me to hot outside at least our shop is air conditioned at a nice 55 degrees.

My son and I would take turns cutting the grass when we lived in Tampa. I had a Bad Boy 60" zero turn mower and a Honda push mower. We would cut the grass either very early in the morning, or very late in the evening. We always carried Gatorade or bottled water on the zero turn. I even made a holder for bottled water on the Honda.

I’m glad I don’t have to do yard work anymore since I work again. My dad takes care of that lol. Way too hot for me and I’m usually so worn out that I don’t even want to do anything but go to bed when I get home. It’s been in the 90s here the past week and it’s killing me to hot outside at least our shop is air conditioned at a nice 55 degrees.
Seriously...
Poor old dad. I mowed my parents 11 acres until the day they died.
Shame on you....shameful behavior.

There is no escape. It's been in the upper 90's numerous times this summer in frigid Fargo! In our Upper Peninsula, the Yoopers took off their long underwear well before 4th. of July this summer.

My wife almost o.k.ed a lawn mowing service this summer:

Last edited:
This will be the first time I did not mow every week since the mowing season began. The good news grass is not growing much and cool and dry weather is back tomorrow.

Zee09, I think it depends with mowing for parents. Stepfather would not let me use the rider on the 3 acres in the country and mowed it in his 80's. It is something he looked forward to.

If you are anywhere near Tallahassee or Blountstown, you are getting similar temperatures and heat index as we are in SW Georgia. It’s stifling!

This will be the first time I did not mow every week since the mowing season began. The good news grass is not growing much and cool and dry weather is back tomorrow.

Zee09, I think it depends with mowing for parents. Stepfather would not let me use the rider on the 3 acres in the country and mowed it in his 80's. It is something he looked forward to.
I wouldn't let others mow mine either. But I have to keep you know who straight...life ain't easy so suck it up...lol

We took out a lot of overgrown and stopped watering the lawn. It is a drought and we are told till Dec 2022 we will be watering 3 days a week, so might as well just let it dry out.

I'm thinking about using it as a place for outdoor storage till then.

Takes a while for me to get used to the heat, but our humidity is usually high and I sweat profusely. And I really wilt in the sun. Once it hits 80 I’m usually done, and I generally avoid midday altogether. Once i start dripping onto my glasses I get real cranky.

Ha, ha washed the truck and cut the front yard this morning, by 12 PM it was time to go inside. :eek:
10921608_073121-kfsn-am-wx-vid.jpg

I just work a while and then sit in front of a fan on the patio … started cutting up the big palm I dropped … dragging branches … it froze in February but man, it is still very heavy …

Back