Doing the math: BYOF vs Shop Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing some thinking and back of the envelope math, and am curious as to what others think about BYOF (Bring Your Own Fluids) vs Shop Fluids.

The scenario:

There are two shops (dealerships) I primarily do business with and both allow BYOF. I use Amsoil fluids most of the time. Looking at the math at one dealership:

5qts Amsoil 5W-20 OE and Wix filter is $33.71 with preferred customer discount and after taxes(negating shipping, which I'll call a wash since I make one or two large orders a year to save).

Then, $38.94 for the dealership's oil change labor, tire rotation, multipoint inspection, and tax.

So grand total BYOF: ~$73

The dealer also offers a full synthetic oil & filter change (both Mopar OEM) and tire rotation with multipoint inspection for about $75 after taxes.

Using my BYOF method isn't saving any real money over using the shop's OEM full synthetic fluids, and at my vehicle's OCI (6K miles), I typically do a fluid/filter change twice a year or so.

I do like the fact that freshly delivered Amsoil is being used, and I don't know about the comparative quality of Mopar OEM fluids and filters (or what oil/filter companies currently make them).

So what say you all? Excluding a DIY scenario, and now negating cost as a wash, would you go BYOF or shop fluids and why?

BYOF you get to choose your own oil and your own filter, so you know exactly what you're getting. Even if it was the exact same price, I'd say it's still worth it.

I believe you can obtain high quality motor oil locally, certainly at Walmart, maybe dealership. No need to order Amsoil.

When you move ATF and diff. fluid, then I think Amsoil has the edge .

Originally Posted By: Donald
I believe you can obtain high quality motor oil locally, certainly at Walmart, maybe dealership. No need to order Amsoil.

I'm sure you can find high quality motor oil at Walmart, but $33.71 for 5qts plus Wix filter for twice a year (as per OEM recommended 6K miles OCI) oil changes isn't unreasonable at all. If I calculated buying only once a year to cover my needs and only order unbroken cases, the price would be even lower.

You could also make the argument, are you sure they are putting your oil in when you bring your own. Most are honest, but I'm sure there are a few that aren't.

Shop fluids whenever possible. Why? Otherwise, they will not guarantee their work.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
You could also make the argument, are you sure they are putting your oil in when you bring your own. Most are honest, but I'm sure there are a few that aren't.

My vehicle takes 4.5qts, and I always get that last 1/2qt back when the servicing is done. You are correct, I didn't watch it go in, so I don't know for absolute fact, but I am reasonably confident my oil is being used.

Besides, if I paid the upgraded price for their Mopar full synthetic, without a UOA, how would I know they didn't just take it out of the bulk 5W-20 conventional drum instead?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Shop fluids whenever possible. Why? Otherwise, they will not guarantee their work.

Interesting. So if price was not an issue, you'd go house fluids to protect any workmanship guarantees. Makes sense. How would you approach the house fluid syn/conventional issue? Tough to know what drum the oil came from once in your engine's sump.

Wow...it has been a long long time since I paid someone to change my oil for me. LOL I was still going off my old math where you could get synth done at Wally for under $30, could do it myself for $20-$25 so I thought I could save some coin and haven't checked since.

I like my math better with PP and OEM filter for less than $30.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Wow...it has been a long long time since I paid someone to change my oil for me. LOL I was still going off my old math where you could get synth done at Wally for under $30, could do it myself for $20-$25 so I thought I could save some coin and haven't checked since.

I like my math better with PP and OEM filter for less than $30.

I didn't make this an option in my original post, but option 3 would be for me to do the oil changes with whatever I wanted, and then have a shop do just the tire rotation and multipoint inspection (they have a lift, and I don't- plus the wear and tear on my back moving tires).

Looking at the shop invoice though, only $14.50 is the labor for the oil change, and about $2 for waste disposal. So to save ~16.50, I'd have to do the change, clean up my oil catch buckets, and have to haul the used oil and filters to a recycling center. I guess you have to ask if all the extra work is worth the ~$17 twice a year.

I think the OP is in a good situation where he can bring his own and it doesn't cost him anything, and he's sure they are using it.

That's not the case everywhere.

If I were in his shoes I'd do the same. Thankfully I can do mine in my garage and be done before most would have driven to the shop, but I've lived other places that wasn't the case.

Sigh, if you go down the path of the shop is dishonest, then it's a moot point. cause they're not changing your oil at all, or using recycled fluid or intentionally sabotaging other components to bring you in later. Follow that spiraling path and you can't trust anybody except for yourself.

Make the assumption that at a minimum you've already done your homework to find an honest mechanic. Without that baseline, then there's no point in further analysis.

The shop I go to charges $15.xx + a few random $s for shopfees, to end up being $19 labor-only oil changes. Every service is written up by the book in labor times (alldata), so it's an honest price. So fair price for fair work.

That being said, if I didn't byo fluids from stuff I pick up on sale, they also sell amsoil, and will use that in their service at the preferred customer price.

Time is money, if the car is already due for other service that I want them to do, then I have them bundle in an oil change.
I wouldn't go to them just for the oil change, cause it's a wash to schedule it, drop the car off, wait, pick the car up; versus just doing it myself at home.

Even though it's about the same price; I'd BYOF if I had the fluids. Why? In order to reduce my stash. There's always some hot new oil and too old of a stash means aging and wasted fluids that you'll always feel is inferior and never find a way to use up.
If I had no stash, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy oil just to bring in, if it's a wash.

Unless you have a garage pit or a lift, and full set of mechanics tools and shop waste disposal services, the shop is enabled to perform the labor faster than you which is why their labor prices can be reduced.
(Plus, they usually have an oil change monkey who's getting paid bottom of the totempole wages while he gains experience and skills).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Why not combine the BYOF with DIIYODM?
(Do it in your own driveway method)

For simple stuff like engine oil changes, I could. But again, I'd save about $17 and have to take out my tools, drain oil, remove filter, install filter, pour oil, collect used oil, gather my tools, wipe up any spills, and bring used oil to a collection center. I'm not sure if it isn't just worth the $17 to avoid the aggravation.

And when it comes to things like the CVT transmission in one of my vehicles, I don't have the tools or the training to do it properly. I've seen the techs measure the temp of the CVT to set the fluid amount, and then do some wizardry with their computer to set certain parameters. In that case, I know what I don't know and will pay someone who has the right tools and training to do the job correctly.

But again, Amsoil now makes a CVT fluid. I'd be more than willing to BYOF however many quarts I need of Amsoil CVT and use that in place of Mopar CVTF +4, and just pay the dealership to install it properly.

I don't get people who claim that their time is worth money...unless they have to take a day off work to do something, then DIY really does cost.

If I can save $20 by doing something myself on a weekend or after work, that's $20 more (plus interest) for when I retire...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I don't get people who claim that their time is worth money...unless they have to take a day off work to do something, then DIY really does cost.

If I can save $20 by doing something myself on a weekend or after work, that's $20 more (plus interest) for when I retire...

I get what you are saying, but I also look at "aggravation factor" vs cost. In this case, the money saved doesn't exceed the aggravation factor it takes to save it (IMHO). But again, everyone has to decide for his/herself where that threshold is.

I do BYOF with two dealerships (Toyota and Volvo) and also with an independent Volvo mechanic that I use (in fact I'm at the independent right now). I've asked several times on a UOA whether the lubricant was consistent with what I provided to the service department. Every time the answer was yes. In the case of the 0W40 that I use in the Volvo, Blackstone's answer was always that they were nearly certain that the dealer had used my 0W40.

10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

Yep, I get it...each to their own.

When my Nissan was new, I had to get a receipt for warranty purposes. I did the engine oil/filter (and UOA toward the end of warranty), and paid a mechanic to do the remainder of crawl under car stuff...served dual purpose.

Now, Nissan are not in the relationship, I do it all, but may pay for glowplugs next winter.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I don't get it as well. Even if I put a dollar amount on my time I'm still way ahead since I can do an oil change in about 20 minutes without wasting time to make an appointment and then waiting for an hour+ at the dealer or some smelly and dirty change lube shop. And I don’t have to worry about any screw ups.

Just the other weekend my dad came over to do an oil change on his Altima. Took us about 20 minutes and after that we enjoyed some coffee in the back yard. I'm pretty sure that it was a time better spent, even if there were no monetary savings, than waiting for an oil change while they bring to you your dirty looking air filter or AT dipstick or try to push other services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back