Does this power steering pressure switch need an o-ring?

1999 Taurus, old one didn't have one under it and a Ford part doesn't show it,

s-l1600.jpg

but some aftermarket switches do,

PSS001MVP.000.jpg

Should I put an o-ring on it? Can I use teflon tape or sealant as well?

Not sure for this application but I've heard of a situation where a power steering sensor on VWs failed and allowed PS fluid to wick up the wiring harness all the way into the passenger compartment fuse box. Not sure if it was an o-ring issue, maybe internal failure.

Not sure for this application but I've heard of a situation where a power steering sensor on VWs failed and allowed PS fluid to wick up the wiring harness all the way into the passenger compartment fuse box. Not sure if it was an o-ring issue, maybe internal failure.
A failure like that would be internal to the sensor and the o-ring wouldn't help. It happens on the Ford oil pressure sensors and they fail internally.

That's what I was going to say. You can buy an entire 180 piece assortment for just $8.99. Harbor Freight is open all weekend.

But if he spends just $3 more, he can get this HNBR o-ring kit with 25 more pieces and they will work for air conditioning hoses/fittings too:

1999 Taurus, old one didn't have one under it and a Ford part doesn't show it,

s-l1600.jpg

but some aftermarket switches do,

PSS001MVP.000.jpg

Should I put an o-ring on it? Can I use teflon tape or sealant as well?
The Ford part looks like already has a sealant on it. Do not use an o ring, if there is no groove for it, as soon as you tighten it it will spread out.

The Ford part looks like already has a sealant on it........

I HATE when they do that. They're not doing anyone any favors when they do. Especially when they put it on small, fine threads. It's a great way to cross thread a screw.

Once I ordered some grip screws for a couple of Sig pistols I have, and they sent them with that blue, dried up crap all over the threads. They were all but impossible to start into the fine threads in the frame.

After a couple of tries I quit while I was ahead, and put them in a small bottle full of Acetone, and allowed them to soak overnight. It took that junk right off, and the screws went right in with zero resistance.

The sealer works well without causing installation issues. I use the Permatex 59235 a lot and never had a leak, if I were to use a sealing washer on something like this it would be an aluminum washer.

Back