Does Peak 10x contain Phosphate?

I read in one forum post that Peak 10x contains phosphates, but I've seen that nowhere else, and it's not in the spec sheet provided by OWI.

I'm just wondering, because I used Peak 10x to refill my 2006 Mazda3, after replacing a cracked overflow reservoir and flushing the system. As far as I understand, 2006 was before Mazda started requiring FL22 in the 3. There was no FL22 marker on my reservoir cap or anywhere else related to the cooling system (so according to my owners manual, FL22 is not required for my car). The coolant that I flushed out was actually blue, so I don't know what that was (I guess some mechanic put it in there) since the Mazda coolant is supposedly green. But, back to the point, I read that phosphates are in the OEM equivalant coolants for Mazdas, because they help with longer life. So I'm just wondering if Peak 10x is similar to FL22 in that respect (given that it claims to be okay for Japanese vehicles).

WOW, this is your first post since 2016? WELCOME!
Are you saying that you DO want phosphates or you DON'T want phosphates?

Anyway...

Last year(SPRING 2020), I used PEAK 10X full strength & distilled water in both, the '15 Altima & '15 Civic in my signature. We previously had a 2006 Mazda3 prior to the Civic and I would have used 10X in it as well with out issue. At the matter of fact, I used PEAK Global Lifetime in the Mazda3 without issues over our 9 yrs of ownership.

From their spec sheet(as I'm sure you know) the 10X is a non 2-EHA formula that is also ..."Free of borate, nitrite, silicate and amines chemicals" just like their OET(OE specific color coolants). They all say the same thing in their "SPEC" sheet.........^^^

As-far-as Phosphates? Hmm, probably?:unsure:

Their PEAK COOL, North American OE(orange & gold) and European coolants are phosphate free according to their SPEC sheet.

But again, I'd used the 10X without pause in your Mazda3 and sleep well at night knowing that you did a good thing. (y)

Last edited:
@Char Baby Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I really don't remember why I registered for the forum in 2016, but never posted anything. I was myself surprised to see the "1" next to my post. On the other hand, the last time I messed with coolant in a car myself, there was only one kind of coolant at it was green. This whole world of multiple colors and chemistries and complications was a surprise to me. So perhaps that says something about why I don't remember what I was thinking in 2016 so well.

That said, I guess I'm wondering if I want phosphate or not. Since it sounds like all of the coolants for Japanese vehicles tend to have phosphate in them, I'm assuming it's a good thing to have. Also I saw this comment that claims Mazda has generally had phosphate in their coolants: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mazda-green-coolant.117596/page-2#post-1648902. So I'm wondering how big of a deal it is if Peak 10x doesn't have phosphate (assuming that's accurate, which is not clear).

I did see this one comment claiming Peak 10x has phosphate: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/peak-10x-or-peak-global-lifetime.329523/#post-5476355. But that is the only place online anywhere I see that claim. So I don't know what basis that person has for their assertion.

It's weird, because as you point out, Peak specifically says their OET European and North American coolants do not have phosphate. They also specificy the lack of phosphate for the Global Lifetime. On the other hand, all three of the Asian OET coolants from Peak specifically say they do have phosphate (and honestly I can't tell the difference between the three, except for the color--they all even claim to meet the same two standards ASTM D3306 and JIS K2234). Only the Peak 10x seem to not say anything about phosphate one way or the other. It's an odd omission, but I'm not sure if one can assume anything from that.

That aside, yes I figured out that Peak 10x is otherwise good, since it is non-2-EHA and lacks silicates, etc. Perhaps I should just not worry about it. It sounds like things went fine for you with phosphate free Global Lifetime in your Mazda. And I don't really feel like flushing my system again anyway.

I personally have never had cooling system issues with any coolant brand/type that I've used and I've used plenty of different coolants in vehicles. And most likely, I've used plenty of incorrect coolants(or I should say, non optimal coolants) for the vehicle over a-many-a year where I have kept my vehicles well into their teens(16-18 yrs) and many hundreds of thousands miles on vehicles.(250K-350K).

ATMOF, the only cooling system issues that I have ever had in 50 yrs of driving is...The occasional water pump failure due to time/age/miles OR a radiator failure due to exterior rust when the vehicle was in its teens. Again, from time/age/miles.

And I could always see where the rust started from after pulling the radiator out for inspection. The rust came from in front where all of the air is coming in(grill) and all of the dirt and road salt attacked it over time. THAT'S IT!

I almost hate saying this but, I'm not so sure that it matters what coolant is used in vehicles as long as the cooling system is maintained. However, I am sure that there are isolated cases where a specific coolant may in fact matter to that cooling system.

Just think of how many vehicle owners never even maintain the cooling system and never have a single issue for their first decade+ of ownership.

Good post! Yeah, I'm in total agreement with the OP on this - Coolants and all their different chemistries (per manufacturer) is absolutely insane. "We" care because "We" are the car fanatics. You're average consumer??? Well... clueless to the point where they end-up adding a pre-mix of universal coolant or just let their shop take care of it...

Having noted that... I just dumped the DexCool out (2001 Buick) and went with the Peak 10x. I think it's a great alternative and readily available. There's all sorts of arguments for both coolants... and I finally decided to interview a few mechanics near me to get their opinions... "Dump the Dex!" they told me and I agreed.

(Repairing Intake gaskets & elbows on the Buick showed me that this stuff isn't as great (2HEA) as they claim it to be.)

As CHAR BABY states in a post above - I'm not so sure it makes much difference in the long run as long as you MAINTAIN your cooling system.

I'm glad I went with the Peak 10x specifically after reading what it "didn't have".... But hey, to each his own.

Last edited:
I just switched my Outback over to this (replacing the standard "green" Subaru coolant). Did 3 flushes with distilled water then added the 10X concentrate for a 55% mix. I look forward to not doing coolant changes for at least 6 or 7 years.

I just switched my Outback over to this (replacing the standard "green" Subaru coolant). Did 3 flushes with distilled water then added the 10X concentrate for a 55% mix. I look forward to not doing coolant changes for at least 6 or 7 years.
Same here! These coolants are getting better and better....but.... can we all agree there are too many options?

When 10X first introduced I emailed Peak/Old World to ask the very same question. Thier reply was that is does contain 'some' P/Phosphate, however it's not near the concentration of thier true Asian Phoat "OET" AFs. If I was to choose a universal AF for all my vehicles, 10X in the concentrate would be the choice. Before selling, used it's close cousin Peak Global Lifetime in an 01 Tacoma, very satisfied. 10X concentrate now more readily available and less expensive than PGL.

When 10X first introduced I emailed Peak/Old World to ask the very same question. Thier reply was that is does contain 'some' P/Phosphate, however it's not near the concentration of thier true Asian Phoat "OET" AFs. If I was to choose a universal AF for all my vehicles, 10X in the concentrate would be the choice. Before selling, used it's close cousin Peak Global Lifetime in an 01 Tacoma, very satisfied. 10X concentrate now more readily available and less expensive than PGL.
Thanks for your input Sayjac!

You helped me about 4-plus years ago with selecting some coolant/antifreeze for my KIA. (Pep Boys Concentrate). Worked great in my KIA BTW... THANKS!

It has since been discontinued but... Aside from some of the Asian specific coolants, I think the Peak 10X is going into all my vehicles for now. I even switched-out the Dex-crap when I repaired my Buick.

Thanks for that info. I wonder how important the level of phosphate really is?

Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts also. It does sound like 10x is pretty good and parsing the distinctions beyond that may be splitting hairs.

Back