Does anyone still make the old "green" coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the green stuff is still available, who makes it and where do you buy it? Seems like "all makes all models" extended life is all I see on the shelves?

You should be able to go from old green to G-05 pretty easily. That's what I have done in several vehicles.

Now if your loaded, try JD CG II. Might be the best coolant available.

Prestone doesn't make green anymore. All the auto parts stores i went to (AAP, AZ, Oreillys) all have green stuff in their own branding which all seems to be made by peak.

Originally Posted By: cat843
You should be able to go from old green to G-05 pretty easily. That's what I have done in several vehicles.

Now if your loaded, try JD CG II. Might be the best coolant available.

I am by no means loaded and I still use CGII. It really isn't that expensive. I have bought it for around $12 a gal for premix and $30 for the big 2.5 gal jug. That's really not far off from Zerex or anything else, especially when you factor in the convenience of a premix and not having to go buy distilled water, mix it up, etc. One 2.5 gallon jug is enough for a rad drain and fill on my truck, and for $30 who can complain. That's cheaper than an oil change and all you have to do is pour it in. It has worked flawlessly in my cooling system. No crud, no nasties.

When the rad cracked (old damage from a wreck 3 years before), I had to mix in Zerex G-05 with CGII because I didn't want to risk completely blowing out the rad trying to make it to the JD dealer. So far so good...the Zerex G-05 and CGII seem to mix well. The cooling system works like it always has.

I vote for CGII in everything. If it is the best coolant available, and it may very well be, it is totally worth the very reasonable cost.

Carquest also has the regular old green in their store branded bottles, not sure who makes it for them.

I just brought 6 bottles of Zerex green from our local Napa. They didn't have it in their store, but they ordered for me from the warehouse in Fort Wayne. I was happy, not only were they willing to order it, but I was able to get the concentrate, not 50/50. I also like the fact because I ordered a larger amount they were willing to give me a little price break. Retail was something like $12.99, the guy charged me $10.99.
I also bought 6 bottles of the Zerex Asian formula a couple of months earlier. They had it right there in the store, retail was around $14.99, because I bought as much as I did, the guy charged $9.99 a bottle. So, I was happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: novadude
If the green stuff is still available, who makes it and where do you buy it? Seems like "all makes all models" extended life is all I see on the shelves?

It probably isn't available in your area, but the Menards chain still had the conventional green coolant under their house-branded name, at least as of about a year ago when I purchased some.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
It probably isn't available in your area, but the Menards chain still had the conventional green coolant under their house-branded name, at least as of about a year ago when I purchased some.
+1

The SuperTech Antifreeze (100%) I just bought was ethyl-glycol and was "green" (not red...) when I poured it into my radiator...?

and have heard SuperTech may be bottled by Prestone?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The SuperTech Antifreeze (100%) I just bought was ethyl-glycol and was "green" (not red...) when I poured it into my radiator...?

and have heard SuperTech may be bottled by Prestone?

All OEM coolants are made from Ethylene Glycol, the problem is that the corrosion inhibitors are different.

Conventional green uses sodium silicate and dipotassium phosphate as corrosion inhibitors.

Many coolants advertised as universal don't have those ingredients, and use 2 Etyl Hexanoate (AKA 2-EH) which is found in Dex Cool, and shouldn't be used in systems with conventional green. This might be what you got from Wal Mart.

Originally Posted By: novadude

The "old" green stuff had a pretty strong dose of silicate in it.

The "new" green has a lot less silicate in it, so while it's green, it is not what we used years ago.

For example, here is Zerex "green":

Green

and here is Zerex G-05:

G-05

The green has 250 PPM silicon, and the G-05 has 240 ppm, basically the same.

Given that, and the advantages of G-05, I’d flush and replace with G-05.

You do realize that there are threads about this by the scores here on this forum, all you needed to do is just type in search and plenty of those old threads would have answered your question.

GHT....
beer3.gif
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back