Does anyone still have an I/O?

I had many boats over the years. All outboards. Then around 2000 I got a sport cruiser with a Mercruiser I/O. I liked the I/O with a small block GM V8 engine. Fast forward to 2000 and wife agreed it was time for a new (to me) boat so I got a 2011 Chaparral with a VP I/O. Like everything about it.

But it seems the boat dealers around me in Delaware only want to work on outboards. One boat dealer that did some work on my boat last year said they will work on it but not until fall. Have all the marine mechanics who know I/O retired?

In reading it's more than just switching from I/O to outboards it's less runabouts and more pontoon boats and center consoles.

I was reading an article about wake boats and I guess they are something totally different with a heavy stern to produce a big wake and powered by an inboard or maybe an IPS. But my knowledge about wake boats is limited to the info in one article.

Has anyone sold their I/O because no one will work on them? Boats last for 20+ years so lots of I/O boats out there. Maybe the bottom will fall out of the market for boats with I/O.

For me, my plan is to do more work myself. Buy an outdrive stand and the scanner I need to diagnose any engine problems.

I/O's are a PITA to work on compared to outboards and inboards, I know from experience. So, lots of guys don't want to spent time contorting themselves like they are in Cirque de Soleil just to do some work when they could pop the cover off 4x outboards in the same amount of time and make way more money.

We (my family) currently own one I/O, a 1995 Four Winns, after getting rid of our 70's Glastron (which, for an I/O, was really easy to work on, since it was an inline engine). It has an SBF in it, a 302, and it is WAY more difficult to work on than our 1995 Supra with the 351, because the Supra's engine is in the middle of the boat and you can pop the cover and have totally uninhibited access in mere seconds.

Growing up, we had a couple of I/O's, many outboards and a whole fleet of inboards in my grandfather's collection, which I cut my teeth on. I'll take an inboard any day of the week, but an outboard comes second. I really dislike working on I/O's.

In the Midwest, about the only time you see outboards are on fishing/bass boats or pontoons. The vast vast vast majority of bow riders/runabouts are I/O.

Pal bought an I/O he didn't know had hit a rock. The price to fix was so great, the boat sat for 20 years on its spotless galvanized trailer.
When he dumped it last year, he told the buyer where it was and to just go tow it away. I helped my pal beforehand by filling the tires for him.
The buyer dumped the decent looking I/O aside in the field because all he wanted was the trailer.
I thought that was kinda funny. My pal was miffed to say the least.

Pal bought an I/O he didn't know had hit a rock. The price to fix was so great, the boat sat for 20 years on its spotless galvanized trailer.
When he dumped it last year, he told the buyer where it was and to just go tow it away. I helped my pal beforehand by filling the tires for him.
The buyer dumped the decent looking I/O aside in the field because all he wanted was the trailer.
I thought that was kinda funny. My pal was miffed to say the least.
I you hit a rock using a SS propeller with an outboard you will do some damage in the gearcase. My guess the repair for an outboard vs I/O hitting a rock with an SS propeller is not that much different.

I/O's are a PITA to work on compared to outboards and inboards, I know from experience. So, lots of guys don't want to spent time contorting themselves like they are in Cirque de Soleil just to do some work when they could pop the cover off 4x outboards in the same amount of time and make way more money.

We (my family) currently own one I/O, a 1995 Four Winns, after getting rid of our 70's Glastron (which, for an I/O, was really easy to work on, since it was an inline engine). It has an SBF in it, a 302, and it is WAY more difficult to work on than our 1995 Supra with the 351, because the Supra's engine is in the middle of the boat and you can pop the cover and have totally uninhibited access in mere seconds.

Growing up, we had a couple of I/O's, many outboards and a whole fleet of inboards in my grandfather's collection, which I cut my teeth on. I'll take an inboard any day of the week, but an outboard comes second. I really dislike working on I/O's.
When you say contorting themself to work on an I/O is that the outdrive or engine. The engine is in the back of the boat vs a little more forward where an inboard engine would be. A v-drive engine is in about the same place in the boat as an I/O engine.

Now an I/O engine in a 20' boat may well be a PIA to work on as the engine bay is cramped to start.

The GM small block V8 engine in my 27' boat has room all around it to work on it.

When you say contorting themself to work on an I/O is that the outdrive or engine. The engine is in the back of the boat vs a little more forward where an inboard engine would be. A v-drive engine is in about the same place in the boat as an I/O engine.

Now an I/O engine in a 20' boat may well be a PIA to work on as the engine bay is cramped to start.

The GM small block V8 engine in my 27' boat has room all around it to work on it.
Engine. The one in our Four Winns (which is 22') is BRUTAL to get at anything that isn't right on the top. Access from the sides is limited and you have to remove the back seat assembly if you want ready access to the front. Forget getting at anything on the back, it's under the cowling.

Easiest ones seem to be inline engines, as there is more room. Some of the V6 and V8's are a real pig to work on, as everything is down and in an access hatch area where you have to do gymnastics to get at certain things.

With the advent of high horsepower 4 stroke outboards, the stern drive has taken a back seat in both production and sales. Some (most) are a nightmare to work on and are very time-consuming. With the time involved, lack of parts availability, and contortionist moves required they would rather work on outboards.

Engine. The one in our Four Winns (which is 22') is BRUTAL to get at anything that isn't right on the top. Access from the sides is limited and you have to remove the back seat assembly if you want ready access to the front. Forget getting at anything on the back, it's under the cowling.

Easiest ones seem to be inline engines, as there is more room. Some of the V6 and V8's are a real pig to work on, as everything is down and in an access hatch area where you have to do gymnastics to get at certain things.
The pictures I have seen of dual engines where there is an inch or two between engines seem to be the worst.

With the advent of high horsepower 4 stroke outboards, the stern drive has taken a back seat in both production and sales. Some (most) are a nightmare to work on and are very time-consuming. With the time involved, lack of parts availability, and contortionist moves required they would rather work on outboards.

Pretty much what I experienced building boats.

Small block in a big block space are great - I have a V10 jammed into a big block space and its awful to work on.

The pictures I have seen of dual engines where there is an inch or two between engines seem to be the worst.

Those are awful - pulling headers to change plugs is brutal. Staggering configs are heavenly in comparison.

Boat or automobile?
In a boat.

I have marinized Viper engine made by Ilmor.

700HP NA. No blower, no bottle no BS.

MV7-10.jpeg
710.jpg

IMG_2207.jpeg

Last edited:
i would have to say I'll bet the get up and go on that boat is in the fun range.

Its pretty amazing for a relatively big boat. I can get 90 on a cool day with a light load at sea level.

The V10 sounds like a cross between a Ferrari and a BBC howling through the midrange and top end.

The 600 is still an open question as to how the lower unit rotation is going to hold up.

Back