Does anyone here have a JDM mini truck? KEI

Ran across these mini trucks and they look pretty useful. I am debating whether to get one vs a utv. The prices seem good, they come in 4x4 and some have dump beds or scissor lifts. Only other thing I would want is diesel but they all seem to be gasoline.

DaihatsuHijet123.jpg

Copart had sales of those every week for maybe a dozen weeks a few months ago https://www.copart.com/content/us/en/member-news/japanese-auction and they were not wrecks but just older models that outlasted their usefulness in Japan. I was following an early 90's Daihatsu with under 20,000 km that had a minimum bid of $1,800. With auction fees, shipping cost from Japan, duties, etc. I didn't see any great savings over buying one already here and titled for under $5K.

I have ridden in a number of these. Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, among others. They have pretty small engines. The Suzuki I remember was around 600-700cc. Chain drive.

They are very useful vehicles in parts of the world where the roads are small. Around here I would guess they would be better suited to situations like campus security or farm type usage. Regular highway use will be iffy at best.

They are not comfortable at all. Another consideration.

Always wanted one just to putter around town in. From what I recall, the models 25 years or older can generally be tagged for street use, but anything newer will have to remain on the farm.

Above isn’t fully accurate, NEVS and low speed are legal but limited to specific models and drivetrains, my state allows the owner to modify an NEV over 10 years old in any way you want including speed

I own a 1970 Subaru 360, my father had a 2005 Miles zx40

Unfortunate they aren’t all street legal like these.

They are not comfortable at all. Another consideration.

Depends on which one you get both of the ones in my family are very comfortable, the van more so than any of my cars.

The Subaru is comfortable but very low seating position

I think they’re pretty neat. I’ve seen them abroad, including in Bermuda and the Caribbean, and stateside at plants, corporate facilities, and campuses, where I assume they don’t leave a certain area.

They are very useful vehicles in parts of the world where the roads are small. Around here I would guess they would be better suited to situations like campus security or farm type usage. Regular highway use will be iffy at best.
I think Cushman brought over the Daihatsu kei trucks over for that purpose alone. I recall seeing one of those at the campus of a college I went to.

Popular here of course, some are road legal, some off road only. This outfit is not far from me, and we deal with them for parts. Watch the video and see how they are used on NZ farms. See the state of the ones in use, they bring them in for me to work on, covered in mud and cow dung...all the things they tow, I get to fix them too.

They seem pretty cool to me, but they don't make sense for me: limited top speed and legal restrictions. Now if I had a large plot of land and limited reason to go off of it, then it'd make more sense. For me.

They seem pretty cool to me, but they don't make sense for me: limited top speed and legal restrictions. Now if I had a large plot of land and limited reason to go off of it, then it'd make more sense. For me.
Always wanted one just to putter around town in. From what I recall, the models 25 years or older can generally be tagged for street use, but anything newer will have to remain on the farm.

My Subaru 360 will go 75mph on the flat, fully highway legal
seems fast enough for anywhere you would want to drive a 900lb 360cc car

Back